Quality, not quantity!

Briggsy

I've found myself buying less and less of my style of Trance tunes recently - every time I go to the MP3 shops to buy tunes (Audiojelly, Trackitdown, etc) I have to trawl through around 30 tunes to find 1 decent one.

Now, is this because Trance is struggling at the moment and there isn't much coming out (unless you like floaty uplifting A&B/Daniel Kandi-esque stuff galore) - or is there just too many average MP3's on the MP3 stores?

I'm really struggling to find some decent Tech-Trance/Hard Trance and Discover-records style driving melodic Trance (even the Discover label, which was consistently superb, seems to be struggling lately).

I'm really not feeling Trance at the moment - i'm just not sure whether its because there's nothing around in my style at the moment, or whether there's just too many crap tunes to plough through on the Mp3 stores and i'm getting bored before I hit the gems.

Anyone else struggling at the moment?

i've been saying this for the last 2 years now, that downloads are doing more harm than good for music. Due to the cost of artwork, pressing, distribution etc being a fraction of what it was when tunes came out on vinyl, labels are more inclined to sign the half baked stuff and put it out with a "well, it hasnt cost us much so if it doesnt do well then we havent lost much" kind of attitude. Whereas 9 years ago, tunes had to get by the snotty record exec before it got a run of test presses. Success on this front led to Promos, which in turn led to full scale release. So basically, a tune had to be good to go all the way. Nowadays tunes come and go within a matter of 2-3 weeks, whereas 9 years ago, hype had to build on a tune for months to get it big.

But yes, there is so much drivel around it gets frustrating and boring looking for good tunes. Thank god for house though, theres been some good stuff recently, especially that Arno Cost "Cyan" track. Love it.

Me too, totally agree.

This is definately a factor, but for me, also just having lack of time (compared to what I used to anyway) to mix let alone even go hunting for tracks has put me out of touch a bit (so to speak).

I was speaking to someone about this the other day actually and Moonman's comments hit it on the head. Also, the Internet is becoming so swapped with information, that even when you go looking for research or product shopping or comparing you are just overwhelmed with this and that. It now takes even more time to sift through the junk out there to even begin getting to a comparative stage.

It seems only a fraction of the search results on info you look for only give you real info from all the data out there!

I definately agree with this. There are stilll loads of great tunes out there, it's just that sometimes you have to search through loads of average tracks in order to discover them.

I think nowadays there are a lot of 'tunes by numbers' about, not just with trance but with many other genres as well (electro house is another example that springs to mind)

Since the download era has taken off, I've noticed a huge increase in the volume of tunes compared to a few years ago. My girlfriend actually hit the nail on the head the other day when she said to me, 'When we first got together, you were playing the same few tracks for about 4-5 weeks solid, now you play different ones every time I see you!' :lol:

It's just because more ppl are trying to make tunes, so there is more about but probably still only the same amount of good quality!!

A bit like when a good brand of clothing or food comes up with something, Tescos value and Asda have their own versions but deep down even when the similarities are tight, the good stuff prevails!! :)

There are so many poorly produced tunes that clog download sites, it's beyond a joke really. Beatport keep claiming that they are removing under-performing artists & labels but there are so many tracks on there which cannot sell as they're not even mastered properly!

That said I'm loving the good music that's around right now, so much good prog

I'm finding this more minimalist type of progressive boring and finding it hard to find much of the epic melodic progressive of old!

Oh god who's was that essential mix I heard on the way home on Friday night, it was so dull it made me want to kill myself. Ended my night depressingly, had to watch a family guy when I got home, just to cheer myself up a bit!

Oh god who's was that essential mix I heard on the way home on Friday night, it was so dull it made me want to kill myself. Ended my night depressingly, had to watch a family guy when I got home, just to cheer myself up a bit!

that was Joris Voorn. I listened to that and liked it. To fully appreciate that type of music, you have to hear it in a nightclub, you really do. I quite enjoyed that essential mix.

i agree with what u say but also think when you find a great tune it makes all the hard work looking worthwhile.

I wish I could agree on that - but I used to love going record shopping. It was great picking out 50 records and finding 20 gems to take home - and having to leave some good tunes behind because i'd never quite got enough money on me to buy even more good tunes. Now, it feels like a chore ploughing through MP3 stores, listening to loads of tripe just to find one good tune. I can spend 2 hours looking for tunes now, and still only end up buying ten tunes because i've wasted most of that time listening to tunes that aren't up to scratch.

I used to love going record shopping.

That is one thing I really miss, going to my nearest record shops every couple of weeks & listening to the vinyl releases in-store that caught my eye. I used to really enjoy chatting to the like minded guys in my local record shop about certain tunes & dance music in general, etc. They would also grab a pile of new releases from behind the counter for me to listen to which they thought I would enjoy. Good times!

Also, I found there was no better feeling than flicking through the racks & finally finding a copy of that elusive tune you had been after for weeks or even months. Nowadays it seems that you can track down a tune on the download sites within a matter of minutes.

Personally I must admit, the download era has taken a big part of the fun & excitement out of hunting for tunes.

Archived