what to see in London for a firsttimer?

FuzzY-LogiC

Hi people.

I'm going to London for the first time this friday, and I'll have some hours to kill, so if you guys and gals should give your Top 3 of must-visit places, please post'em :)

Historic places, fantastic stores, amazing wildlife(?)...etc.. :rolleyes:

Buckingham Palace

Maddam Tussauds

Trafalgar Square

Leicester Square

Nelson's Column

The London Eye

The Houses Of Parliament

Big Ben

Downing Street

Oxford Street for shopping.

The ones shown in blue are all within 10 minutes of each other, so you could see them all :D

There isn't much wildlife in London unfortunately - however, there was a whale spotted in the Thames last year, which sadly died. I've also spotted a few whales in the Ministry of Sound in the past :o

Anyway, if you're there Friday, don't forget the best tourist attraction - The Gallery @ Ministry Of Sound! ;)

Get yourself a one-day travelcard for the tube. They're about 50p more than a return, and you can use them al day for unlimited travel. Bargain. The buses are a mare so stay clear of those. Watch out for dodgy unlicensed taxi's too.

There's some amazing wildlife where I live.

If you see those ones in blue then you can take a walk through ST James' Park to Buckingham Palace, there's a couple of Pelicans in there.

I like the Tower of London, dunno how much that costs?

Madame Tussauds is good too though, and as our school holidays are just finished it shouldn't be too Rammed.

If you're after something free though, as those things cost a fair bit, try the Science Museum, it's a total time killer, and it's attached to the Natural History Museum (dinosaur bones) and of course is free!

Nelsons column is in Trafalger square btw, and close to Briggsy's items in Blue! :) Black cabs and tubes only, and see if you can get to see Tower Bridge too.

I hope you are taking a camera? I'm not far if you wanna cuppa ;)

Lot's of things to see! brilliant! :)

Briggsy: I'll deffy watch out for whales in the thames AND at The Gallery, which I'll... of course be going to

Thanks for the tip about the cabs and the tubecard, I'll definately get me one of those.

Lynn: not sure about bringing a camera. As I don't have a still-camera myself, but only a video cam, I might bring that, though I haven't really given it a thought.

Right well just buy one of those 5.99 disposable cameras (with a flash) that's what I usually take out and then it's not such a worry about losing it! And no one usually wants to nick those either! :) All my clubbing pics and Pics of Jules (except the last crap one on my phone) were taken with disposable cameras!

Just a thought.

Have a good time Fuzzy!!

I have never been to London :( Would love to go but I have convinced myself its a huge place and that I will get lost (although I know its easy to navigate cos friends have told me so)

The funny thing about London is that despite it being so huge, its pretty hard to get lost if you know the geography of the tube network.

The tube stations are all fairly close to one another, so if you walk past one, you'll soon come to another different station, and then if you know where that is on the tube map, you'll soon work out whether you're going east, west, north and south.

I don't know London that well, but I know the tube network inside out, so I can find myself around just by working out where I am and where i'm heading from various tube stations.

Its pretty hard to get lost around by the houses of parliament and the eye, etc anyway to be honest - big ben, the eye, the houses of parliament, etc are all tall landmarks, so you can just head for those by eye without having to know where you're going.

I used to go there when I was 14/15 for the huge record shops!! :) I love London. (that was in the 80's btw!)

If another class was doing a school trip there for something, I'd blag my way along and spend the day in HMV megastore, and Covent garden, Trafalger Square and Soho!! I was a good pupil so I was treated well. ;)

You can get lost, I have done, but like Briggsy says the tubes are everywhere and you can just jump on one and get back to where you started easily. Tube maps are cool, and work how ya brain works.

I got a bit lost once after I came out of the Turnmills, and tried to get back to my station on foot, it took hours, but it was good fun anyway and then I gave up and jumped in a black cab who got me there in about 30 seconds. lolol I was a bit 'vacant' att. :rolleyes:

Simon you would be fine.

Archived