Tom Green

Red Room 2

NuPassion

Akira Kayosa

AJ Hutch

Tom Bailey

Hidden Agenda

Matty Morris

THE FIRST EVER PASSION BANK HOLIDAY SUNDAY EVENT!

Due to local council licensing hours all events have to close at 3 on bank holiday Sundays… not a problem, let’s just get on it earlier! Come On Passion!

Very excited to be back at PaSSion once again next weekend & for their very first Bank Holiday Sunday event. The mainroom lineup is excellent as always so should be a blast. As usual message me for ticket/travel info ;)

mennoboards.jpg

Passion Interview Menno De Jong Ahead of his appearance on May 3rd!

Menno De Jong Interview Ahead Of Passion May 3rd 2009

Ahead of Menno De Jong’s appearance on the famous Passion turntables Passion resident Genix decided to ask him a few questions…

First of all it’s a great pleasure to welcome you to Passion!

Thank you! I can’t wait to hit the decks there again…

How do you find the UK trance scene? Have you ever been to one of our nights or heard about our famous atmosphere?

I really enjoy playing in the UK, the crowd always goes “mental” as they say over there and the clubs are generally equipped with great sound systems, something which makes a DJ like me a happy camper!

A few years back I played Passion and had a lovely time there. I really like the layout of the club and the way the DJ booth is positioned in a way that it’s easy to connect with the crowd. Lots of energy that night so I hope to experience that in May too!

Your name has really been put in lights over the past couple of years from your productions… Did you ever think you’d be such a success at this level?

I certainly hoped so and worked very hard to get to this point. From a very very early age I have always been involved in DJing and making music at some level so it is a dream come true to make it my job.

Your dj’ing has obviously taken you across the globe… but are there any big parties that have really stood out for you?

There are many, many great parties out there. One of my favourites over the past years has been EDC Festival in Los Angeles. They expected 40,000 people to show, but this ended up being 60,000. To add to that the crowd went nuts the entire night. The finishing touch: The event was held in LA Sports Arena where some pretty big matches have been played.

Another one that needs to be mentioned is Sunrise Festival in Poland. This party held near the beach has some of the most amazing production you will ever see, everything from LED walls to lasers and fireworks as big as you can imagine. Also, the crowd in Poland has similar amounts of energy as in the UK!

Can you tell us a little about Intuition? The Label? Radio Shows? For those who don’t know.

Intuition is my record label (aka. my baby), it was established in 2004 and we’ve released music from artists such as Airbase, Leon Bolier, Cliff Coenraad, Jonas Steur, Orjan Nilsen, Mat Zo, Arnej, many others and myself. Recently two new sub labels were added to the family: Intuition Deep and Stellar Sounds. If you are interested in what we are releasing check out www.intuitionrecordings.com! Lots of sound clips there.

Around the time Intuition Recordings was founded I also kicked off the Intuition Radio Show. This ran for about 3 years and grew out to be one of the most popular trance radio shows around. We’ve had guest mixes from guys such as Paul van Dyk, Armin van Buuren, Ferry Corsten, Markus Schulz and many more. Just over a year ago I switched the show from weekly to monthly as well as turning it into a podcast to make time for graduating from university. With that over and done with I am now working on bringing back the weekly Intuition Radio Show along with a bi-weekly podcast. For the moment, check out the free monthly podcast through my website or by searching for Menno de Jong or Intuition Podcast in iTunes!

What was your first major production that put you on the map?

My first ever release was ‘Menno de Jong – Guanxi’ on Anjunabeats. This was picked up by Tiesto, Armin van Buuren, Above & Beyond and many others and was my initial breakthrough.

Can you tell us what style you think your productions are… and what goes into a Menno track?

I can actually make anything from Progressive to Trance and Tech-Trance; I really enjoy moving freely between those styles too, although my biggest interest is Trance and Progressive Trance. I think my style is characterized by warm melodies, at least one stab sound in every tune, and dreamy soundscapes.

Do you have any inspirations that have lead you to create your sound?

Life in general is my biggest inspiration. The feelings that I have, the things that I experience and the people I meet inspire me to write music. If I have a certain idea or melody in my head I sit behind the piano and start working on it and once I have something that I feel can work in a song I play it on my midi-keyboard, and start fiddling around with sounds.

What does the Menno studio consist of? What do you use to generate those awesome sounds?

Okay, other than a Mac, here’s my production kit:

Hardware:

Dynaudio Air 15 speakers

KRK Rokit 6 speakers

RME Fireface 400

Tapco Mix 60 mixer

Focusrite Liquidmix

Access Virus Ti Snow

Alesis Proton 25 keyboard

Roland HP135 digital piano

Yamaha U3 piano

Software:

Cubase 4 running…

Spectrasonics Omnisphere

Sylenth

Battery

Minimonsta

Voxengo Elephant / LF Max Punch / VariSaturator

Camelphat / Camelspace

Altiverb

Predator

And a whole lot more!

We know a little about the sound of your productions… but for those who may not have heard you DJ what can people they expect coming from the speakers when you are play on May 3rd?

I’m going to be playing the best bit of Trance and Progressive I can find! It might be a bit on the harder side toward the end, but will definitely have an overall good level of energy. That, and I’ll be going nuts behind the decks!

If you were not a dj/producer…. What would you be? Or want to be??

I would have probably done something with my background in Model United Nations, and started working for an NGO, the UN or Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Do you have any new productions or any big tunes that are going off in your sets right now?

Jep, I just finished a tune with Leon Bolier called ‘Last Light Tonight’, it’s a banging Trance track with a cool summerish melody in the break. I also just remixed Alex M.O.R.P.H. ft. Simon – Regrets on Vandit, this has been picked up by Tiesto, Armin, Paul van Dyk, Above & Beyond, Judge Jules and many others!

Other than that, I am currently working on a lot of new tunes that will be on my new mix album: Intuition Sessions Vol. 2 – Ipanema.

Do you have any other hobbies as well as your DJing? Or does that take up most of your time?

Certainly: I do Capoeira, a Brazilian sport that combines martial arts, athletics, dancing and music. To get an idea of what it is check out this little clip: youtube.com

Finally…. Thank you for your time…. We look forward to welcoming you to Passion on May 3rd with open arms… Genix

Thanks for the cool interview! See you at Passion in May, can’t wait!

Peace,

Menno :)

I'll try to make it up for this actually if i'm not away. Menno is very under-rated, and i've never seen Rank 1 live - so its tempting. Just a shame its bank holiday that weekend because there's a chance I could be away if the weather is decent :(

Be nice to catch up mate, if you do decide to come along. Menno is definately the star attraction, everytime I've seen him he's been brilliant. Give me a PM if you need any tickets & I can sort you some out ;)

Cheers for all of the 'good luck' wishes folks. I'm delighted to announce that I've been confirmed as part of the 'Nu:PaSSion' roster so should be appearing at PaSSion events regularly from now on :D

http://www.passionuk.com/nupassion.html

Edited by TomBailey

What a fantastic night! Had myself a real blast playing for PaSSion & have to say last night is right up there as one of my favourite gigs. The crowd gathered in my room were really enthusiastic & responsive which made it a pleasure to play for the two hours. :D

Unlike my previous gig reports this one doesn't contain anywhere near as eventful car journey as the 50 or so miles to Coalville is one of the easiest journeys I regularly make (having been there twice previously in the past 6 months I'd be a bit of an idiot if I didn't know the way).

My only gripe is those damn 50 mph zones on the motorways. They seem to be everywhere now & there is clearly no need for them as I haven't seen one workman in all the time I've driven through them. What annoys me most is that they are 'average speed checks' meaning you pretty much have to abide by the 50mph limit or face a fine. I had to navigate through three such zones (one on the M6 & two more on the M42) & not once did I see the slightest inkling of any work being done. Ah well I digress...

As it was a Sunday the event had been brought forward to allow for a full lineup & a decent number of hours. The opening time was 7pm with the night running thru until 3am. I was a little sceptical with regard to the early opening as personally I thought a good deal of people would rather venture out later, I shouldn't have worried!

I hit the club around 7.20, walking in to the main room where Tom Green was warming things up with one of my current favourite tracks (which I later played too) D-Nox & Beckers 'Cala A Boca'. I slipped through the mainroom & into the White Room, which would be my home for the evening (originally we were scheduled for the Red Room, but logistics dictated we were moved). Genix was playing the opening set in the White Room (yes that's right Genix warmed up for me!). It was billed as an 'Alternative' set, allowing Genix to play some deeper techno & tech-house, which was most enjoyable. I took over at 8pm for my two hours with the full intention of working through some deeper stuff & then suitably warming things up for the more peaktime sounds of those that would follow me.

I'll spare the exact specifics of my set as I'm going to use it on The Progressive Showcase next Monday in all it's glory. I began with some darker music to provide some continuity from Genix & then worked into my core sound of progressive house & progressive trance. The crowd at PaSSion certainly know their stuff & it was great to have such enthusiasm for some music that I doubt many would expect to hear at such a prestigious trance event.

Without doubt the highlight of my set (from my point of view) was the reaction I got to Pryda 'Lift', I'd rank it as being up there with any that I've had throughout my career thus far & it was awesome seeing the entire room go off in a big way.

My set concluded at 10pm upon which I handed control over to AJ Hutch. I've known Hutch for a while now & we've played on the same bill a couple of times. His sound is definately much trancier & so I left things in a relatively upbeat mode but with the bpm suitably adjusted for the relatively early time of evening at around 130bpm.

I then proceeded to explore the club for a while checking out the first half hour or so of Hutch's set while talking to some of the people who had been massed in the room for my set & also chatting to Andy himself. What really appeals to me about the regular gigs for PaSSion now is that I'm getting to know so many people down there & it's always great to have a chat with them. I was fortunate enough to receive nothing but positive reaction from those I spoke to & also found time to chat to some other good mates & fellow DJs.

Having managed to grab words with everyone from Woody can Eyden to SWAP to JFK I was also really pleased that the club's in-house photographer stopped me for a chat & assured me he'd got some excellent shots which he planned to share with me at some point this week. All being well I'll get those uploaded as soon as I get em ;)

Fair play Tom, sounds like you've had another good one again!

The good thing about you is that you've let your music do the talking. You don't go round bombarding people and spamming forums and social networking sites galore to draw attention to yourself, so fair play to you for that.

I won't name names, but there's one person on that roster that irritates me on Facebook by trying to get me to re-join his group every other day (I left his group originally becasue he continually sends messages out day after day). He needs to chill out a bit.

Personally, I think it should be about the power of the music and the ability - not how much you can spam someone to get attention, and you've gone about things the right way :D

Good work mate :D

Edited by Briggsy

Cheers mate, like to think I'm not (that much of) a forum hog or spammer. The PaSSion link-up has been great thus far & the club itself really is something special. I always enjoy playing there & hopefully the recording of the set will relate that :)

Cheers mate, like to think I'm not (that much of) a forum hog or spammer.

You're definately not mate. You just put a mix up on the odd forum, and don't continually bump it up or force it upon people. You just post it and leave it there. There are a few that continually bump their mixes, or hijack other people's thread to point a bit of attention to their mixes. There's one guy who's on just about every DJ forum i've ever come across that think's he's gods gift and continually slates other people's mixes and says "i'd have done it like this, not like that" - as if he's Sasha. He even told Bryan Kearney that one of his mixes was crap on the Hardwick board a while ago.

You just get on with it and haven't got c**ky or tried to belittle other people to push yourself further - so fair play.

Passion is a top club - my second favourite after the Ministry. Always a great atmosphere, the crowd are always friendly and clued up - and despite it being run by JFK, it is actuallty well organised (if the rumours are true, Genix does most of the hard work anyway - but JFK gets the credit).

Edited by Briggsy