DJ'ing gigs

Briggsy

Its weird - it was only a few months ago I said on here that I was frustrated that I couldn't get gigs, and when I was offered them, it was only as warm-up DJ - playing a style that I hate and is well out of my comfort zone.

Now, since January, things seem to have changed - i've had two gigs in the last 4 weeks (one warm-up, but for a Hard night, which meant that I was playing harder than a typical warm-up set anyway which was ideal - plus one peak-time set too). I was on standby for another gig just incase someone dropped out, and now i've got four more gigs coming up over the next couple of months (one of which could lead to a monthly residency as closing set DJ).

My next gig is the one i'm looking forward to most - i've got the 1.30 am til 3am closing set, which means i've got free reign and can play my own natural style - Tech-Trance/Hard Trance crossing over into a bit of Techno. It also means I can stay clear of classics and well-known tunes. My other gigs have been in towns where the crowd aren't very clued up so i've had to play classics and well-known tunes to keep them interested - including when I ran my own night here in Coventry.

Its weird - i'm not quite sure why i'm being noticed all of a sudden - but i'm not knocking it - especially now i'm getting gigs playing later in the night where I can play music that I enjoy (ie, not warm-up stuff that I hate) :D

i want to ideally play somewhere like Stealth in Nottingham, or Choob in Lincoln at first. I've been a few times and love it. It's also supportive of the sound i'm now playing. Thats the target, we shall wait and see...

When I go to Lincoln University I plan to be in the clubs there too. This should happen easily after being on the radio-waves for a few months/weeks :)

best way is do the studio union gigs, and gigs in the student gaffs etc, even house parties, get yaself noticed i say.

i never went uni, so cudnt really do that, although done a few house parties.

Thats something I have been thinking about. They said about clubs and if there isn't one that suits you then you can set up your own, then when you have 8 members (from my course, easy enough) then you get funding for it too. I don't know whether I would be happier if they had a DJ society or not :lol:

You've got to be lucky you get any kind of break with DJing. Perseverance is definately the key though as you never know who might check out your demo, pick up an online mix or be around when you're playing.

You've got to be lucky you get any kind of break with DJing.

Particularly with Trance I reckon. If you play Electro, House or Tech-House, there's a good chance you'll always get a gig playing in a bar somewhere. Those genres are suited to clubs and bars, so there's more chances of gigs. Trance is club music, so its definately a lot harder to get gigs - particularly if you play on the harder side like me.

When I go to Lincoln University I plan to be in the clubs there too. This should happen easily after being on the radio-waves for a few months/weeks :)

You'd think that man but unfortunately it isn't really the case!!! its all down to how good of a dj you are really, and how good you are at reading crowds and playing the correct style for whatever section of the night you're playing!!! i.e warmup / headline act. Mainly- its all about getting to know the right people and basically promoting the s*** out of yourself!!!

everyone has valid points here, and i appreciate everything said. the course i am doing at lincoln is 'audio production' which also covers radio broadcasting, so for the radio aspect i will be working for the university station throught my time there anyway. after my time spent with the tutors so far i do have a good feeling about where my career will be heading, and i can tell it wont be a huge failure, but i also know not to hope to knock armin off the number 1 spot just yet! :P:lol:

Don't listen to them Simon..it is about who you know too

Just be yourself and make friends in the scene and soon you will get offered stuff. Start off at uni...then get into the clubs etc. Start small and aim BIG

What do you mean by "Dont Listen to them"???

Archived