Spotify

Neuro

Well-established now and a fuelling a fascinating debate about music in general on various forums and other media circles, I thought I'd ask everyone on here what they think of Spotify, their vision, their ultimate aims, and how it affects both listeners and the artists....

logo.png

Spotify offers you legal and free access to a huge library of music. All you need to do is create an account and download our streaming music player.

Our dream is to let everyone listen to whatever they want, whenever and wherever they want.

Of course, you can't stream absolutely any track in the world - I for one think that is a truly unreachable aim - but still...

Hopefully a can of worms for you all to tuck into. Discuss! B)

hmmm my sister introduced me to this a while ago but I only used it once. It's all downloaded on my PC but it just doesn't really appeal. I dont get how anyone makes money from their music if this is all legal an' all. I would rather pay for MP3's off download sites or better still go and buy CDs... Im still quite old fashioned really - I like to "own" music I listen to and even paying for downloads doesn't quite feel like owning the track/album as you have no physical media to show for it... just a file. If I want an album I still buy on CD.

I guess this tool is useful for listening to an album to decide if you like it and then go buy. I know there will be lots of people who will happily just use this to listen to all their music though and will likely never buy any music ever again. Seems a bit of a strange concept that.

I guess this tool is useful for listening to an album to decide if you like it and then go buy. I know there will be lots of people who will happily just use this to listen to all their music though and will likely never buy any music ever again. Seems a bit of a strange concept that.

I completely agree with this sir! I would use it to listen to tracks (not the latest) first before I potentially buy though, but that's about it. Maybe the odd party if I was younger! :lol:

Haha! The great Dane has been left behind! :lol:

Sorry to laugh sir, I shouldn't really... it's probably as equally as annoying as trying to buy an mp3 and finding that currently this file "is not available in your territory" - audiojelly are prime culprits!

Haha! The great Dane has been left behind! :lol:

Sorry to laugh sir, I shouldn't really... it's probably as equally as annoying as trying to buy an mp3 and finding that currently this file "is not available in your territory" - audiojelly are prime culprits!

I'm not easily offended, but apology accepted, though not necessary, Sire ;)

region restrictions have always been a pain in the butt, specially with audio & video content on the web....

Cause... isn't 'on the web' supposed to mean no borders, free information and no rules!? (ok, a little too 'hacker manifesto' I know, but still...) :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

How is this Spotify thing legal anyway? I can't understand how it doesn't violent copyrights every time you stream something... :ermm:

In order to listen to free every so many tracks a series of adverts are played. To remove the adverts you pay a subscription. Takings from this go to cover site overheads, staff costs, and pay license fees. So it works in, sort of, the same way as commercial radio I should imagine.

Archived