You have...

Spin Doctor

...four hours left to vote. Whatever propaganda your friends or work colleagues may have been saying EU elections ARE important, AS ARE local elections if you have them where you are.

Don't be a fool, if you don't vote you have no right to complain. If you think all of them are as bad as one another, still go and vote, but deface the ballot. Free and fair elections are one of the things that makes living in the west a privilege. Don't squander that privilege.

Took my grandad down to the polls this lunchtime to cast our votes. Nothing beats exercising your democratic rights. B)

A good post and very true.

I often used to overlook this but until you see/hear of the many people back in the day who strived for the right to vote, we should certainly consider ourselves priveleged.

I voted by post :)

It is also a democratic right not to vote

True, it is a democratic right not to vote, but you're a bit of an idiot if you don't. Also, I really do think that not voting removes ay moral claim you have to make complaints. If you don't like what's on offer you can still spoil the ballot.

As for your second post, there is a confusion between a method of governance and with that methods outcome. Under democracy, everyone could vote for the winning party, just because more people vote for other parties or don't bother doesn't invalidate the method. Even if it is a joke, I still think it's our best bet to ensure effective governance and place some checks and balances on the executive.

It is a democratic right not to vote and it is a much a valid right as is the right to vote. Compulsory voting makes a mockery out of the whole idea of democracy! When people are made to vote they either vote for the first party on the list or spoil the ballot paper.

True, it is a democratic right not to vote, but you're a bit of an idiot if you don't. Also, I really do think that not voting removes ay moral claim you have to make complaints. If you don't like what's on offer you can still spoil the ballot.

As for your second post, there is a confusion between a method of governance and with that methods outcome. Under democracy, everyone could vote for the winning party, just because more people vote for other parties or don't bother doesn't invalidate the method. Even if it is a joke, I still think it's our best bet to ensure effective governance and place some checks and balances on the executive.

Surely Proportional Representation offers a better or at least fairer system "... to ensure effective governance and place some checks and balances on the executive"