Very sad day for me today ...

simonross46

About a week ago my friend Lyndsey hurt her arm in a trampoline incident, so I have been looking after her until she has recovered. On Saturday it was the anniversary of her Grandad's death a year ago, so she was very distraught, but then as i talked to another friend she received the news that an old housemate had just passed away from breast cancer. Lyndsey got my attention quickyl and asked me to roll up all the windows so her crying wouldnt bother anybody. This was pretty tough to witness for me, but again I was there to make sure she was ok.

Today it was the funeral. The girl was only 18 years old. I drove Lyndsey to the funeral so that she could say goodbye to her friend, because the one thing that hurt me most was that Lyndsey wanted to visit her friend in hospital, but time ran out :(

I was going to stay in my car in fear that the funeral would remind me of when my grandad passed away a few years ago. I nearly packed up music altogether if it wasn't for my grandad, and what made me so upset was that he passed away moments before my first Radio 1 appearance, and he wanted to listen to that I went into the funeral though because Lyndsey needed the support, and I had to be very strong incase it made Lyndsey more upset.

Although these aren't exactly my troubles, they are, because Lyndsey is a good friend of mine and I want to be there for her. There aren't a huge amount of people she can turn to, and when my grandad died i kept everything to myself. my family dont even know how i feel about that.

I just hope this is the end of all the bad times, and that some good times can come along.

They're never good days, sir. :mellow:

Like losing someone in battle, it is imperative you carry on, chin up, sword and shield back in position and ready for the next fight.

Simon that sounds extremely upsetting for you and your friend and everyone involved really.

I think it's particularly hard when people die very young, as you feel they've been robbed of their life.

There is no consolation. Just that you are allowed to be upset by death, it's what sets us apart as humans.

Don't try and hide it, but do try and carry on and remember, the person who died wouldn't want you to waste a moment of YOUR life over them losing theirs.

Yeah I think this particular death is so hurtful cos she did die young, and words were read out which were written by the girl before she passed away and she asked if anyone actually wanted their life as much as she did. Like I say, I was strong at the time incase it made Lyndsey more upset, cos she asked me to take her so she would feel like it was her fault, but we are both getting through it slowly now. Just a matter of time really.

Simon, very sorry to hear this and thoughts are with you - it's a very sensitive and quite frightening subject for women so you doing a great thing by showing support and comfort.

Archived