Test rip (need feedback)

Simcut

Hi all

Just been tweaking about with the height, weight & anti-skate on my 1200 and just did a sample test rip from one of my vinyls, can you tell me if you think the sound quality is any good please? Any distortion? too loud? too quiet? too bassy? too trebley?

http://sharebee.com/e848f36f

I want feedback as I'm going to be recording a lot of my vinyls to mp3 ready for an eventual move to get CDJ's and sell off most of my vinyl... :o

Let me know please :)

Many Thanks

Sim

Had a listen this sir. Think the balance sounds good.

However I am concerned by the "fuzziness" when it kicks in again at 2 minutes... you wouldn't get that distortion on a CD!

I would suggest your needle and carts have not been replaced in years, am I correct? I think with a Ortofon Arkiv or something (I bought one after seeing someone post about it here!) you'll solve this :)

Sorry to disappoint sir! I can offer a free game of archery in my garden if this helps.

There is a bit of distortion, and it possibly lacks warmth in the middle of the sound.

The frequencies for bass/treble/mid-range are actually rectifiable afterwards with some EQ mastering afterwards; Robin on here rescued a load of my rips a while back so worth asking him. But the distortion is something you need to sort out though as you can't correct it later.

You ideally want an honest clean copy of your vinyl as pure as possible, where you can't tell from what source it's from. Good luck mate, I know it's frustrating business! :)

how are you set up to do this Simon?

Are you using a mixer connected to your soundcard or is it one of those USB pre-amps for plugging your deck straight in. I am just curious to the way you're doing it.

If you are using a mixer.. make sure all the EQ on the channel is flat when you record so that the recording is a true representation of the viny's original sound.

There is some distortion when the track kicks back in. This could be the needles as Quadrant suggested.. I had this problem a couple of years ago.. when they get worn they tend to sound distorted particularly on the trebly bits.

My advice would be to listen carefully to the track playing from the turntable directly through your speakers as normal. Then listen to the recording played back through the same speakers if you can set it up like that. Then compare the 2. Can you hear the distortion when playing normally, if so it could be the needles or wear on the record... (try with a few different records). If the sound is clean playing direct and the distortion only appears on the recording then you have introduced the distortion to the recording somewhere in the chain. You could be driving the soundcard input too hard - ie the input level is too high.. so try reducing that. You can always amplify a wave file once you have recorded and saved it if it comes out a bit too quiet ;)

If you could just add a little description of how you set this up I might be able to think of some other suggestions for you. It's well worth getting it right mate before you go and sell any of those gems!

Hey man

I'm using technics 1200's connected to a Gemini PS-626i mixer, then an output from the back of the mixer to my aux in on my creative x-fi input/output panel that's connected to my sound card (its a decent quality lead and the aux has 2 inputs)

All the EQ is now flat (it wasnt for the re-order test rip) and I have reduced the gain on the channel as well and increased the record volume to 100% for aux on my sound card mixer in Windows Vista...

I'm using a barely used Ortofon Concorde Nightclub E and I've also made sure I had the right weight, height & anti-skate for the cart, and it seems to sound very good now!

Here's a new test rip I've done....lemme know if u think it sounds okay :) awesome track it is too!

http://sharebee.com/68003f0f

Hard to say with a tune I don't know, but that second rip sounds a bit better sir!

The other alternative is to substitute your mixer for a small dedicated pre-amp, if you have one.

Nice one Simon. I'm unable to listen to the new clip right now but it sounds like you've taken all the right steps there. I would imagine it would sound better now. Will listen to this tomorrow to give my feedback of the actual clip. Good work

Archived