DJ's you cannot stand!

Briggsy

You should never hate DJs If you are a DJ yourself you should respect the hard work people have put in to get to where they are

Although saying that it has triggered me on to suggest Deadmau5 ... purely because of the type of person he is. He can make good music, we have all heard it. I've not heard him mixing, but he is very rude from what I'm aware of.

You should never hate DJs If you are a DJ yourself you should respect the hard work people have put in to get to where they are

Bless

i couldnt agree more with that, as all djs overall have had an uphill struggle to get to where they are, hence why most successful djs are in there 30's, not there 20's. with the exception of a few

In a recent interview, Canadian DJ and Producer Deadmau5 (real name Joel Zimmerman) has explicitly expressed his dislike for the modern DJ.

“It puts me to f***ing sleep to be quite honest, I don’t really see the technical merit in playing two songs at the same speed together and it bores me to f***ing tears and hopefully with all due respect to the dj type that will f***ing go the way of the dinosaur id like them to dis-a-f***ing-pear. Joel continued, its so middle man,they’re like f***ing lawyers. You need them, but they’re f***ing ****s. God bless them they’re my number one customer right so I’m not gonna go diss every f***ing DJ. But to say you become this massive up on a podium performer by playing other peoples productions at the same speed as someone else’s productions and fading between the two of them, I don’t get it.”

COPIED AND PASTED FROM ANOTHER FORUM

I thought Simon might like this. Yes he does sound like a pretty rude man!

In a recent interview, Canadian DJ and Producer Deadmau5 (real name Joel Zimmerman) has explicitly expressed his dislike for the modern DJ.

“It puts me to f***ing sleep to be quite honest, I don’t really see the technical merit in playing two songs at the same speed together and it bores me to f***ing tears and hopefully with all due respect to the dj type that will f***ing go the way of the dinosaur id like them to dis-a-f***ing-pear. Joel continued, its so middle man,they’re like f***ing lawyers. You need them, but they’re f***ing ****s. God bless them they’re my number one customer right so I’m not gonna go diss every f***ing DJ. But to say you become this massive up on a podium performer by playing other peoples productions at the same speed as someone else’s productions and fading between the two of them, I don’t get it.”

I fully agree with him to be honest. In this day and age, simply blending 2 tunes together is rather bland. Given the likes of ableton are now available, so much more stuff can be done - and why shouldnt it? I know that there is a core of DJ's who see laptop djing as "not really djing" or "cheating", I just dont understand why? Even Jules is striving to be unique by playing all these mashups. Why not just chop things up live?

At the same time, dance music and clubbing has been successful for years simply because of DJ's mixing records together - so why change a winning formula?

I appreciate Ableton has its benefits - but it also has its downsides too. Half of the fun of DJ'ing is the 'manual' feeling behind the decks - the DJ is in control of everything. I already feel that CDJ's have taken some of the 'hands on' feel away from DJ'ing compared to the Vinyl days - now you can go to any part of a tune, then hit the 'cue' button - and voila, back to the beginning again. With vinyl, you had to physically put the needle at the beginning again.

Ableton is even more automated - plus I wouldn't find standing behind a laptop much fun after i've been using computers all day at work. The day when vinyl and CDJ's are replaced completely by "computer DJ'ing" is the day i'll hang up my headphones. Sorry, but I don't see any fun in it at all.

I often think that sometimes Ableton sets are over-complicated, it feels like the DJ is doing certain things (with high technical merit) for the sake of it. I do like a lot of the features of Ableton et al but often a tune sounds best when it's played out as it was intended to be, looping the latest Kings of Leon vocal over the top while shoe-horning in the bassline to another tune just sounds like a car crash to me.

If it's done properly then I agree it's fascinating & very good listening, but a lot of the time in a club setting I just think you want a tune on that makes you dance, not that makes you think 'wow how did he do that trick' or 'how did he re-loop the vst through the new channel whilst fading between channels 3 & 4 using differing parameters'

Listening to albums like Involver & Transitions is awesome listening & extremely creative, but in a club setting a lot of the time simplicity is best in my opinion.

So, if deadmau5 hears a dj play one of his tracks when he's out, does he turn away in disgust saying; 'he's just playing my record at the same speed as the last without any invention or imagination, please try make your own version of it???

Or does he say; 'yes, heres my tune, lets dance!'

I don't think Deadmau5 is one to talk about 'boring' sets anyway - I think he should listen back to his Essential Mix from last year before passing comment on anyone else. That was one of the most boring, tedious things i'd ever heard.

I reckon he'll have a short career anyway. He churned out a million productions in a short space of time, got hyped up to the max and came straight in at a high number in the top 100 DJ's poll - and since then, he's got a bit c**ky and apparently his demands are a bit over the top too. At the end of the day, he's no Tiesto - he's been around for five minutes and once he's rubbed too many people up the wrong way, and bored everyone with too many productions too close together (I think a lot of people have already become tired of him already), then he'll vanish.

A similar thing happened with Fergie - he showed great potential, got hyped up by everyone, got a show on Radio 1 - and then got a bit carried away and lazy with it all - and then bang - his career went downhill rapidly. Now he's fighting to build it up again (although in his defence, he's changed his style and putting more effort in again and seems to be getting good feedback again). I think he's realised now that you can't take things for granted once you've "made it".

I cant see Deadmau5 fading away. Hasn't he just signed himself to a major? His productions are immense. The first one i got into was a Meleefresh "Sex Slave" remix he did, way before Faxing Berlin. His EM was a grower, at first i didnt like it, i wasn't into that sound at all. Now my sound has veered towards techno/tech house i like it and appreciate it a lot more.

He also got the gimmick (that ludicrous mouse head) which crowds seem to love. And like it or not in the music biz, you have to be c**ky and make out your better than everyone else, its a cut throat industry. You have to sell yourself, labels and interest doesnt come your way if your quiet.

I think Deadmau5 is more referring to the superstar DJing thing from a while back too, which lets face it, diluted dance music badly. Everything changes though, and DJing is no different, its a fair point; what difference does it make if a tune comes from a laptop, ableton, CDJ's or vinyl. if you could see what the DJ was playing from, how would you be able to tell? but on the flip side to that, why shouldnt technology be embraced if it can further enhance things?

So, if deadmau5 hears a dj play one of his tracks when he's out, does he turn away in disgust saying; 'he's just playing my record at the same speed as the last without any invention or imagination, please try make your own version of it???

Or does he say; 'yes, heres my tune, lets dance!'

And his friend says no way, not with that big fuc*king mouse head on!!! You prat! :D