The Royal Family

Briggsy

What are your views on the Royal Family? Do we need them? Should we have them? Are you for or against them?

I've always been quite anti-royalty really. Sure, they attract a lot of tourism, and I appreciate that despite their millions of pounds, they can't just get up in the mornings and have a random day out at the seaside to stick 10ps in the bandits on Brighton Pier because they're a huge security risk - however, they cost us taxpayers a fortune, sponging off us left right and centre (a bit like MP's really).

Prince Charles's figures have just been announced. Quoted from t'internet "He travelled more than 80,000km to attend 658 official engagements. The public funds made available to him rose by 25% to £3 million pounds. His private income, derived from his Duchy of Cornwall estate, increased by 1% to £16.4m. And somehow he paid 10% less tax than last year – a miserly £3.4m."

So, with times as tough as they are, do we really need royalty and MP3s bleeding the country dry?

Thoughts?

Sir.

I feel very strongly in favour of the monarchy. Sure, they have lost their absolute power in these times - maybe not so much a bad thing, if politicians are better (are they?) - but political impotency does not mean they serve no other purpose. Their lack of real political clout is far outweighed by the benefits they bring us, the image they portray around the world on behalf of us, and most importantly a respect for tradition and cultural identity. Foreign views of our kingdom in particular are shaped by the Royal bond we have. It's not about how much money they bring in; it's about the respect they show and receive and an appreciation of the hundreds of years of history they represent.

Just because they do not appear to be directly useful to us is no reason to discard them. And they never had a choice to do what they do - they are born into it. Moreover, their costing the taxpayer 50p a year to fund this life is not "bleeding us dry", in my opinion.

Think what the UK would lose if they went. And the symbols which go with them - the symbols of unity and pride. We'd have to change and/or rebrand our money, our coins, our banknotes, our stamps, our letterboxes, not to mention other national seals in the army and in the high street (Royal Mail, or the Royal Air Force for example). What about all the stately homes, the museums, the history books about past monarchies, the uniforms, the crown jewels? They will lose all significance and we will become a republic like France and other European nations who have destroyed their monarchy. Losing all this would not only be massively disruptive for our nation but we would lose a huge sense of national identity.

Go and have a proper read up on the thousands who would be affected.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/

If you think the monarchy should go, then you are a traitor, you lack education, and you lack loyalty to this kingdom and respect for those tens of thousands who have fought and lost their lives for it over centuries of wars to allow you to be where you are now. You are nothing.

uk_royal_coat_of_arms.gif

Be proud of what we have achieved and what we represent.

God Save The Queen.

Quite surprised this thread hasn't produced more posts from people!

Personally I sit in favour of having a monarchy - I only really realized how significant they are for us when I lived abroad. There's a lot of activity which we don't see and they are tremendous ambassadors for us. I have nothing but respect!

I'm also of the addage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - they're doing good at the moment so no need for change for the sake of it. ^_^

Archived