First Proper Nights Out Clubbing?

Max Kane

Seeing as Simon filed his report from his very first night out clubbing (for the sake of this thread we'll make it include a big night out to see recognised DJs or to a dance club per-say), I thought it'd be interesting to gauge other people's first big nights out. Divulge within...

BCM Majorca - June 2005.

I went out to see Jules, who, coincidentally, played the best live set i've seen him play - and probably the second best set i've ever heard from him. He was superb that night!

I then went to see Jules at Gods 6 months later, and he was the exact opposite - awful. After that, it was Global Gathering 2006, and then since then, i've been clubbing all over the place (even abroad) on a regular basis and seen hundreds of DJs that i've wanted to see (including non-Trance DJ's).

Unfortunately, I never got to see Jules back in 1999/2000, when i'd have loved to have seen him. Thats the problem with having mates that don't like dance music - nobody to go with :(

I'm making up for it now though - although i'll probably have to go into clubbing retirement at the end of the year :(

The first time was back in 2004 in Bath, got in free, the promoter gave me free beers all night and had a good chinwag about his nights, Greg Downey was the headliner, f***ing superb set, had a few words with him after and Sophie Sugar was with him.

Havent been to a club night proper since, well not from club opening till close like, ruddy loved it!

Hmmmm mines all a bit of a mangled mess of memories, but i remember the first time I SPECIFICALLY went to see Jules, I didn't know what time he was gonna be on, so I grabbed a podium when I got there and I refused to move ALL night and he came on and I was really hot and everyone was sweating and I hadn't had any drink or drugs and he played a F**KING awesome set with brand new tunes att and hadn't been heard before not on the radio.

I chucked my camera up to the DJ booth at the Zapp in Brighton and kinda mimed to the resident to take Jules' pic for me and he did, then my boyfriend (at the time) climbed up and got Jules autograph for me. Shame he was there though, he was a t**t.

I had been begging my friends to come out and see Jules with me for years and they never ever came, it was only coz I said I was going on my own that my boyfriend suddenly decided to come, and he was blown away by the set and I was totally smug about that.

I had seen Jules before quite a long time before that, but not on purpose really and it was since 98 that I had decided I must see him and MUST go to Gatecrasher. I never did get anyone to come to Sheffield with me, so I split with my boyfriend of 7 years (and daughters father(it was a deciding factor)) and went anyway. That was truly the best night of my life as it was Crashers birthday and Jules, PVD, Eddie Halliwell, Fergie and Scott Bond and Hardwick playing binary finary, etc etc. It was also THE most worstest journey home from a club I've ever endured and I had fallen asleep on the train that from Sheffield and slept through my own station on the Kent train aswell.

I miss it all, I don't want to get old. :(

I do remember my first ambush on Jules too, a month later, I was so so embarrassed but knew I'd have to kill myself if I didn't speak to him. He'd played the last set of the night and the club was lit and empty and he came out of the booth with two massive black men, and I jumped out and said "can I have my picture taken with you please" Jules said certainly and handed his records to one guy and I gave my camera to the other who then said "Aren't you a bit old for all this" ??????? <_< Added to my embarrassment. Jules then said he liked my T-shirt. :) again, on my own there. In fact that was start of my clubbing alone era, as no one would come and see Jules with me. Had the time of my life though.

I love Judge Jules. :wub:

n1436522978_30013391_5524.jpg

Don't think my hair was supposed to look like that?

Edited by Number 2 fan

Hehe, good thread this one! Well for me it was Slinky in Bournemouth back in 1998 and the headliner was Pete Tong, back when he almost always played good bouncey house or trance really....I was at uni in Southampton and they used to run coaches down every week so I think it was a few weeks after I started my course my best mate from home (Brighton) came down and we went for it. The first thing that hit me was how beautiful the club (Opera House) was, and it so rammed but not in a pushy sardine kinda way, there was enough space for people to dance and everyone was very much on beans! I think we only managed to get halfway down the crowd, but the atmosphere was amazing. I even remember Pete played Good Life by Inner City as the first tune and that was it, bonkers central! Also remember Crazy by Lucid (whatever happened to them) and that DJ Sakin track, Protect Your Mind (I think!) - which was superb on a massive system.....

So yeah, after that first night it was Slinky all the way and saw some amazing line-ups, one of which was Xmas 1999 and had Guy Ornadel, Tiesto & Jules, can you imagine a line-up like that these days, that was back in the day when Tiesto would walk though the club carrying his own record box! I also had a homemade sign with PITCHIN on one side & JULES RULES on the other, lol! The pitchin one was good, obv when he was playing that, made people go nuts! I'll have to see if I can scan some old pics in. I accosted Tiesto once and had a little chat in Dutch with him which was cool! Also seen Armin, Scott Bond, Lisa Lashes, Eddie, Oakie, Above & Beyond, Marco V, Ferry and loads loads more around 99-2003 down there, happy days!!!

Edited by attilasumer

I was lucky enough to be working in a nightclub here in Ireland in 98 and99, when I was only 16. Its only a small club, but had a massive student night, who started bringing in djs, mainly bigger Irish ones at first.

For rag week (sorta student end of year p up) 98,they had a full week of events culminating in a Laurent Garnier live show. At the time, I was into harder house, so was decidedly underwhelmed by this. To this day, I've never seen anythig like it. Amazing. Being 16, sober, and meant to be collecting glasses, and I'd the best night of my life. The club was meant to finish at 3, the music was still going at 4 with all the lights on!

He revealed in an interview later that he used to seek small unknown clubs where he wont be well known, and try and win the crowd over. The stage he played on was used for bingo 24hrs later. I kid you not!!!!

My first real clubbing experience was Crasher NEC in 2003, I'd seen Matt Hardwick & JFK when I was 17 in a chain style nightclub in Wolverhampton but considering it was the day we drew with Greece (Beckham's famous freekick to equalise at 2-2 & deny the Germans qualification) I was far too drunk to really enjoy that one & spent most of my time chasing less than reputable women around.

The NEC was awesome, we started off drinking with Jules' old Saturday Warmup show on then hit the arena around 11ish, we got there just in time for the Motorcycle PA of 'As The Rush Comes'. After that we got to see Scott Bond, PvD, Tiesto, Armin, Ferry & Jules. Was a nice way to start my clubbing career off as we got to see so many well known a-listers all in one night. Jules finishing his set with 'Happiness Happening' still ranks as one of my favourite moments ever, the confetti falling from the rafters & literally everyone in the arena going off was something else to behold.

Aah that NEC night was awesome, had a good line-up in the Frantic room too with Eddie playing an early set with Rob Tissera I think :) BOSH!!! Jules playing Lost Witness was brilliant, I remember I was on the seats at the back having an arm-rave to Ferry to recharge the batteries and then went and danced for Jules! All the DJs were just savage that night, I think that may have been one of the best PvD sets I've seen for years, though the downside was the 3 hour wait for the first train to Southampton which actually was a replacement bus to Reading and then the train, I think I got in about 2pm on the sunday and then went for pizza and a few beers and promptly into bed until about 8am the next day, aah those were the days!!

Shame they dont do the big arena events anymore, they would evidently still sell out.......

That PvD set was something else wasn't it! Armin was immense that night too, in fact the only DJ that dissapointed was Tiesto, he was held up by missing a flight connection & then was apparently in a mood as PvD went on before him & stole the show

hmmm nice thread. My first proper clubbing experience was actually a Hardcore Event - Slammin Vinyl at the Sanctuary in Milton Keynes in 2002. This was right around the time UK hardcore was making it's come back with Darren Styles, Breeze and Hixxy playing very new hardcore material. I was well into hardcore raving for a couple of years after that going to at least one event a month.

The first time I saw Jules was in Ibiza in 2003 at Judgement Sundays. That was a very special night for me as I'd finally got to see the main man having listened to his shows weekly for 4 years by then. He did play a great set and that really re-lighted the trance flame in me so to speak - his radio shows had in my opinion got a bit rubbish by this stage and featured mostly housey stuff so I was shocked by the sheer amount of good uplifting trance tunes he played at Judgement Sundays.