Michael Jackson

Briggsy

I don't wish death on anyone, so don't think i'm being harsh - but is anyone else sick of hearing about this now?

A lot of celebrities have died, and in my opinion, celebrities that were more genuine and more deserving of recognition - yet they hardly had any mention on the TV, etc.

I just find it hard to believe that someone that had such a questionable, suspicious life is getting so much praise and recognition, yet squeeky clean celebrities that have died have got no credit for what they achieved at all when they've died.

Swine Flu is really going to hit the headlines again very soon, from what I've heard it's getting more & more severe & all NHS staff are having to be rota'ed to cover the NHS direct facilities.

It's spread is inevitable now & the problem is simply trying to slow it down

Nah, load of government hype. It's not as serious as the media make it out to be....

Both great stories though to distract the public from the expenses scandal. Oh yeah, the expenses scandal!

Swine flu is really bad in Coventry at the moment. There's been quite a few cases this week alone. In fact, apparently, according to yesterdays news, there's been more cases of Swine Flu in the Midlands than there has in the rest of the UK combined.

At least if I get Swine Flu, i'll have a valid reason for having my house looking like a pig sty :P

I'm not sick of it!

In fact I had the memorial on in my house whilst I put away the shopping, cooked dinner, ate dinner, took the little ones to bed, read a bit of my book, then I had a bath whilst singing very very loudly 'I'LL BE THE-R-E-E-E-E!!!'

It was interesting, and I want Lionel Richie at my funeral :) Actually no, he's alot older than me so hopefully gone before I go. :unsure:

I haven't read every papers articles and watched every news story, I played the Top 40 on Sunday as I was on a long journey anyway att, and finished playing it at home. I watched a couple of tribute programmes TOTPs 2 and a Sky 1 one!

Somebody big has died I expect to see these things it's part of History now, I wanna see it as it happens.

I am most upset that I haven't seen MOONWALKER on any of the channels yet, thought it would at least be on somewhere tonight!!

SHAMBLES!!!

Whats to be sick of?

From what I understand the radio may have overdone it in the few days after.....maybe a bit more variation the MJ tunes would probably have been better, as there were enough to choose from, as much as they are good tunes you can only listen to BEAT IT, a certain amount of times in one week. :(

I guess it was inevitable that his death whenever it had come would be this big a deal though... think of Elvis... Michael Jackson may even be remembered as a bigger icon than him in the end. I did watch some of the memorial thing tonight but to be honest I did find some of it a bit much in a way. Fair enough the guy had a lot of fans and it is a significant event in that sense... someone of his stature in the celebrity world dying I mean. But its a bit silly how people who wouldn't have known him personally make such a big deal out of it all and how sad they are etc... its all a bit over the top. Some of the speakers also went on and on about him doing God's work and stuff as well which was all a bit weird. For someone who's had so much controversy around their life maybe that was going a bit far... could have just left it at saying he cared alot for the state of the world etc. I dunno anyway I blabbering on now and to be honest I aint that bothered about it all. Bed time me thinks.

But its a bit silly how people who wouldn't have known him personally make such a big deal out of it all and how sad they are etc... its all a bit over the top.

Yeah thats the bit I don't get really. Some people on Facebook and on the TV, etc are talking as if he was their uncle or something saying they've not slept for days because of how upset they are, how much they've cried, etc. That'd be like me crying when Betty Smith at number 93 two streets away from my house dies - they're randoms that we don't know at the end of the day.

The thing that annoys me is that four years ago, people believed he was a paedophile and wanted him locked up, etc - and now, he's suddenly everyone's idol.

As keenster wrote in another thread, I'm a big fan, and yes, I am taking MJ's death very personal. So I am not taking negative posts about MJ very light, even though I should probably just look the other way.

This whole day has been quite emotional, and I almost wrote something in reply to briggsy I probably would have regretted, so I'll just post this...

It's a free world we live in, but still.. briggsy...

Please show the man some respect at the end and leave him be. As one of the speakers said at the memorial service... "hopefully now they will leave him alone", and I sure hope they do... (hint)

It's a free world we live in, but still.. briggsy...

Please show the man some respect at the end and leave him be.

I've not said anything negative about him - i'm fairly neutral to be honest. Yeah, the guy was a legend, but there were also things that happened in his personal life which we'll never know the truth about.

The point i'm raising is simply that the media have gone into MJ overdrive - we've had other celebrities that have died and rarely been mentioned, but we've had two weeks coverage of MJs death. One day would have been suffice - and then let him and his family rest. I suspect the media will milk every penny they cna out of it though for years to come - just like they did with Princess Diana.

Aw poor Fuzzy, he was a fan, so I imagine Mj has played a big part in his life and he has died and Fuzzy is grieving.

I would be very sad if someone I'm a big fan of died, you do feel as though you know them, you know their persona and they mean alot to you. It is sad when anyone dies, but you feel sadder too if you also feel the loss and I imagine his fans feel that loss in their hearts, and as he was very kind to and about his fans they feel they knew him that little bit more.

I don't find it weird that people who didn't know him feel grief?

Archived