Matt Hardwick Essential Mix

Uberduck

Have to disagree with ya there Robin! Saw Matt Hardwick play a trance classics set this year and, whilst it may not have been representative of his usual sets, he did a class job for 5 hours and i never left the dancefloor despite being pretty sober. Think Bigsteve will vouch for me on this - at 4.30am we had to be evicted by the police because it was such an amazing set and he was not allowed to play one more tune... cue mutiny on a large scale!

Still not convinced by him. Was that your only occasion seeing Matt play? I have seen him a lot throughout my outings in clubland (some 9 years) and have seen about one or two decent sets by him. I also don't think you can judge someone's skills as a DJ based upon them playing classic trance.

That is a fair point mate, very true. :thumbsup:

I have only seen 4 sets by him and 2 of those were big, long Classics events where he did a very long set... I just personally felt they were well constructed (i.e. how the sets were built over the evening) and a lot of feeling was given as to what record to play when - there were what i call quite a few 'moments' where you felt that was exactly the right record to play at that time, which I think is quite difficult to do not only with long sets (which I feel not enough people do these days) but also because especially with Classics you can get carried away with just playing one after another and not have to try as hard.

Clearly though if you have seen a representation of him over more than half a decade covering a range of events, then that is far more demonstrative of his DJing than only a few outings like my experience of him.

Maybe Classics nights are just what he's good at! :D

I have to say that i wasnt exactly impressed by the essential mix. Found it a bit boring really. Was also a bit confused by the inclusion of hard to beat. Only seen snippets of him, never a full set. The R1 dance part in sheffield @ Don Valley Bowl he played a few good tracks i.e. Warrior - 'If u want me' (instrumental) and Plastic Boy ' Silver Bath' but didnt catch all of the set so couldnt comment on it as a whole.

I have seen Matt play once and I thought it was an ok set, not bad at all! I think it a bit over the top to proclaim your surprise that "he is still actively DJ'ing", however I will need to listen to my copy of that Essential Mix to make a wholesome judgement - I'll be back! :wink:

Not heard the EM yet (I guess its not up on R1's site now???) but I half agree with you TIm (and the others). His 5 hour set at Promise NOVEMBER LAST year (get your facts right Timothy :wink: ) was a lot of classics and best of 2004 tunes. This is easy to make it an exceelent night and I did think it was truly amazing. I have since seen him twice and wasn't impressed. It was just trance that didn't really get me going, and this did nothing for the atmosphere either.

Will be seeing this Sat at GK, so I'll keep you all posted!

Archived