What to make of this?

JasonB

if that's a true statement it's shocking, what the hell is it all coming too with people getting on their high horse about digital copies?

Surely if you've bought the original you should be aloud to make a digital copy of it without getting permission?!

Love your reply to that post on the global6 site Jacey B. Absolutely right Wakey, think of vinyl as an analog source that is far from indestructible, people are bound to make personal digital copies.

In a recent legal case in Italy, a DJ was fined 1.4 million Euros for the unlawful creation and use of digital copies of sound recordings.

At the time people said this was Mauro, but I don't think so. Any ideas? Does this have any repercussions on DJs here or not really?

That quote of yours, Tim, I'd seen in the Sun too. Some laws in this world don't make sense. If you've made your own personal copy from a copy you've bought, whats the problem. Surely VCR/DVD-R's are all illegal then? Who buys a copy of Eastenders :? :? :?

From what I gather, you are not allowed to make a copy of your vinyl recordings even if you bought the original legitimately and the digital duplicate is only for personal use. There is no "fair use" provision in the UK - in buying a legit sound recording, all you've paid for is the right to own that physical disc, play it privately and pass on that same disc to another person.

That said, the BPI (British Phonographic Society) - which fights piracy for the British record industry amongst other things - will not investigate you, sue you, or instigate a police raid on your house to seize your decks and PC if you do make digital copies for personal use.

But this remains unstated policy. The BPI will never come out and say 'go ahead' and it will be a very different story if you start making digital copies and selling them. The owner of the copyright has the sole right to reproduce this work and you need permission from the copyright owners (usually the record company) to make a copy, and you're unlikely to get it.

Making a copy of a copyrighted recording infringes that copyright by a virtue of Section 16 of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988

Load of bollocks if you ask me, but hope that was interesting. :D

Mind you, mp3s aren't physical discs... a grey area for sure!

(1) The DJ will only be licensed to make digital copies of legitimately-sourced sound recordings owned by the DJ – e.g. vinyl, CDs, digital downloads from legitimate websites.

Thats from your link at the top of the thread, Jacey B, I guess DJs are the exceptions, but then what's the definition of a Disc Jockey? :D

Archived