Cartridge position

Neuro

When attaching a new cart to your headshell does it make a difference if it's angled or straight? The previous one had it on at an angle and there's a line on the top showing where to align the screws for this. Also when I bought the new cart + stylii it said to assemble them at an angle too, even though its an elliptical needle...

However I thought if you have a straight tonearm you mustn't angle the cart, so I've screwed it on straight. I'm not doing any scratching it's just for precision playback and straight playing... Can anyone clear that one up as to what's best just for my piece of mind? Cheers :)

fluffy1.jpg <-- well i mean, if you look this picture here, the two screws on the top of the headshell that hold the cart in place are both in the forward-most position they can go (which is how I've assembled mine), but I was just wondering why (or if I need to) you'd angle where it's pointing by affixing the cart with one screw forward, one slightly back... the needle is still parallel to the record but it would just be facing inwards more...

I didn't explain that very well actually, I'm sure you know what I mean! Probably doesn't make much difference, just want to be sure I'm not damaging my tunes.

I think you angle the cart 23 degrees only for scratching purposes (which, like me, is not of importance) so mine is straight. It's only so the needle tracks the record better.

Also you should never angle an elliptical stylus - kind of defeats its purpose - and if your tonearm is straight anyway you don't need to angle the cart either. So I think you have it right Traill, just leave it how it is! :)

Archived