The bloody cheek!

Max Kane

A friend of mine emailed me a short while ago saying he googled 'The Progressive Showcase' as he wanted to catch up on some downloads of the show prior to attending a future gig, he was most surprised to find several sites offering various episodes of the show for sale!

The most expensive site he found was asking $1.80 to download one of the two hour shows with others offering episodes for sale from $0.15 upwards. I'm truly amazed that a) this is happening & people would ever pay for an episode of the show when it's widely available for free & B) the cheeky sods who actually put it up for sale.

I don't want the show to be up for sale in this way (as I happily share it for free & besides I know of no-one that would want to pay for it) but surely if it is being 'sold' I should have been contacted in some way prior to anything of this nature happening?

Example

I would seriously look further into this Tom! Technically, although everyone does it, it's actually illegal to put mixes online without a license from MCPS-PRS. Also, selling a mix containing tunes that haven't been licensed by the label can result in a court case, a fine, and even imprisonment (although unlikely unless someone has taken the p*** big time!) - so these guys could get you into some serious trouble because, although you haven't done it, if word gets back to the relevant people and they look into it further and see your name associated with it, you'll be the one they come looking for asking why you've made your radio show available for sale.

It might be worth sending a sarcastic email to them letting them know you're aware of them selling your show, and telling them that as they're selling it, you assume that they've got the tracks licensed by the label, and you'll be entitled to a cut of the profits. I bet they'll soon do a runner then! If not, you can report them to their web host and get the website shut down.

Edited by Briggsy