Music Production

MarkL

Alright people, apologies if this is in the wrong forum!

Was just wondering what people were using for production just now. Basically I am wanting to get started but I am unsure what to go with. The 2 options for me are Ableton or Logic (I have a MacBook). I have used Logic at a friends for a bit but I was checking out the online Ableton course's from that Sonic Acadamy and I think I could learn a lot from their courses.

What do you guy's suggest? I am a complete beginner so the easier to pick up would probably be best for me. Anyone know any good deals going for Logic or Ableton just now?

Cheers,

Mark.

Ableton will be easier to get the hang of to begin with, plus the buzz is all around it at the moment. Lots of resources online and people talking about it right now. Logic is the more powerful in the broader scheme of things. Power gives you more creative freedom, but is also intimidating and can make you lose sight of what you're trying to achieve.

To be honest, it doesn't really matter what program you use. The program is a tool, and nothing more. What counts is what you do with it. I'm very much a 'get your hands dirty' man. I also think people should start small and work up.

Reason is a very good starting point. It's powerful, self contained, and best of al reasonably (ha ha!) priced. Most importantly, it will give you a good introduction to a lot of other concepts you'll use with more complex programs if and when you move on. Plus, its hardware like interface really does appeal to me, though I understand others will be put off. For what it's worth, I use a combination of Fruity Loops, Reason, and Acid Pro.

Archived