2009 - the worst year for Trance ever?

Briggsy

Is it just me, or has this year been particularly slow and dull for Trance? Everyone is slowing down to 135bpm and calming everything down, and MP3 stores are over-satured with masses of Above & Beyondesque girly Trance, or average productions on tiny labels that have been set up by one man and his dog in his bedroom. A few months ago I was thinking "ah it'll be OK once the Ibiza season comes around - July and August will be superb, as they always are" - but nope, nothing! Ibiza is drawing to a close, the end of the year is not too far away, and there's still no sign of that one amazing tune that will be remembered in years to come.

Every year, there are two or three massive tunes that are caned for months. This year, I'm struggling to find one tune that stands out as being exceptional this year. Even producers that were continually churning out top tune after top tune are struggling - such as John O'Callaghan, Ferry Corsten, etc.

Is Trance struggling at the moment, or am I just getting bored of it?

youre getting bored of it. I did. Now i play almost solely electro house because there is so much good stuff around at the minute. I also like the deeper tech stuff. I'm glad its slowed down to be honest. More people dance to slower tunes in my experience around 128-133 bpm is where i play. It works in bars and clubs too. You can go from headnodding stuff to full on dancing with house, whereas trance it's just bosh all the way. Trance these days is just pointless remakes of the golden era tunes, things move on, sounds change. Whether you like it or not, Electro is the sound of now, in 10 years time people will be saying the same over the current crop of tunes i reckon.

To me, it says a lot when DJ's like Tiesto and Armin have both supported more housier tunes recently, especially Tiesto. Eve Jules is playing more housey these days.

I agree on the point that trance has slowed right down. I've significantly dropped the speed I play at now but that's primarily as there's a lot more tech-house & out & out progressive house in my sets now. A few years ago I played progressive trance around 135 as it flowed better into the trance sets which went from 135 up to 140. Now apart from the real bosh tracks nothing is faster than 137 or so.

It's all about finding music you're into, that does change. The sets I play now bare very little resemblance to the ones I used to play but I probably enjoy the music more now.

As for your style Briggs I don't really see anyone out there banging it out anymore, Kearney still tanks it but his sets are chocked full of his own edits & productions & no-one can really bowl up & play a set like that. Even people like Halliwell & John Askew have slowed down, maybe not to the extent of Armin & co but still noticably.

Hmm... I dunno about worst year ever for Trance. It is getting slower I agree but today I've downloaded around 10 fairly decent tunes... took a while to sift through various sites but I think there is still good stuff around. Perhaps your style is just slightly faster than mine though... my sets were always around 140 bpm but the mix I did today was 137/138... slightly slower but the tunes still sound good at that speed.

I'm really liking Ben Gold at the moment.. some superb stuff from him remix and production wise. I agree though that there are far less good boshy tunes around in the style of Fabio Stein for example and some of the stuff O'Callaghan was doing a couple of years ago. I do miss them but have just gone with the flow I guess. I shall still be looking out for decent faster tunes though... I'm not ready to slow the pace too much yet.

Is it just me, or has this year been particularly slow and dull for Trance? Everyone is slowing down to 135bpm and calming everything down

[...]

[...]

I am finding stuff bloody slow, I don't like slow!!!

I agree on the point that trance has slowed right down. I've significantly dropped the speed I play at now but that's primarily as there's a lot more tech-house & out & out progressive house in my sets now. A few years ago I played progressive trance around 135 as it flowed better into the trance sets which went from 135 up to 140. Now apart from the real bosh tracks nothing is faster than 137 or so.

Personally, and speaking with last Friday in mind, I have actually enjoyed the slight edge being taken off the speed. But as with all musical things, it's probably a phase I am just enjoying at the moment. Of course, I am very happy grooving away either early on with some Housey/Progressive stuff in the bar or smaller room, or smashing it up later right at the front with some full frontal Trance later. Both are great.

However, although I love a great spectrum of tempos, I have to admit my private passion has always been very much that 'grey' area around 135bpm where you cannot properly define the genre, the more unusual dance tracks which occur in that vague cross-over stage where some trancey elements seem to be sneaking into play, but no-one's quite sure which direction the DJ will take it. Despite the tease, you can't leave because there's hooks which are going round and round and so you have to stay on the dancefloor... and I love that ^_^ - I also think that's why I enjoyed the core bit of Sister Bliss's set so much - and yes it surprises me more than it does you!

I like a bit of everything so it hasn't been too much of a problem for me. However l agree that there hasn't been many "memorable" trance tunes being played this summer. I've been enjoying some of Kutzi's shows which are full of energy so l'm looking forward to seeing him in action @ JS Ibiza on 13th Sept. There are also some good housey tunes being played atm.

As for your style Briggs I don't really see anyone out there banging it out anymore, Kearney still tanks it but his sets are chocked full of his own edits & productions & no-one can really bowl up & play a set like that.

Yeah, there's just very little bosh around now - the only DJ's I can think of that are continuing to bang it out are Kearney, Patterson and Downey - and all of them are playing their own edits and productions because there's not much around from other producers.

I'm starting most of my sets around the 137bpm mark, and taking it up to around the 140bpm mark - and if I slip a bit of Techno in towards the end, then I tend to take it up to 142bpm.

I don't mind the Proggy Trance to listen to in clubs, although i'd never play it in a club set - but the over-saturation of A&B-esque floaty nonsense bores me.

PLAY SOMETHING HARDER!!!!! :thumbsup:

I am finding stuff bloody slow, I don't like slow!!!

Thats the problem - there's not much around now. Even labels that were guaranteed to deliver quality bosh, such as Discover, have gone pants :(

There is definately less good stuff coming out, if any does its ever dribs n drabs or a load at once the nothing for ages

Yeah, thats what i've noticed. April was superb for bosh - there was loads released that month and I had a whole set of fresh stuff to play out at my gigs, whereas its dried up a bit again now and i'm having to dig really deep again :(

There are too many below-par labels with producers that, in the vinyl days, would never have even been close to being signed up to a label. Someone will have success, so everyone else will try to copy that sound - and then it becomes over-satured. Everyone at the moment is trying to copy the sounds of either Deadmau5, Cosmic Gate or A&B/Anjunabeats. We need some producers that are willing to try something fresh and move Trance on again rather than trying to get instant success with a 'tried and tested' sound.

trance has slowed down over all, well mainly the tech trance scene has, but thats generally whats coming more popular nowdays.

But there is still hard stuff out there by producers like paul webster, john o'callaghan, activa etc, just gotta look for it.

the only gripe i have at the moment is that alot of stuff is a bit repetitive.

trance has slowed down over all, well mainly the tech trance scene has, but thats generally whats coming more popular nowdays.

But there is still hard stuff out there by producers like paul webster, john o'callaghan, activa etc, just gotta look for it.

the only gripe i have at the moment is that alot of stuff is a bit repetitive.

Activa isn't that hard really - just pacey. John O'Callaghan has softened right up though, and he's gone a bit cheesy since moving to Armada. He's producing loads of tunes with grotesque vocals :(

Paul Webster and co are still banging it out - but its few and far between :(

Activa isn't that hard really - just pacey. John O'Callaghan has softened right up though, and he's gone a bit cheesy since moving to Armada. He's producing loads of tunes with grotesque vocals :(

depends, i'd class activa as more peaktime trance, his productions are generally more banging and placed in a well building set at the right time can work pretty well.

I really miss the days of F&W, those fantastic Fingers Burnt booties and tracks like the E-Craig remix of Silvio Ecomo's Uprising. Back then if I saw the name Rank1 on a release I'd have bought it without even listening to it because I knew it was going to be fantastic driving & energetic trance. I can't remember the last realease off them that actually did anything for me. Back around 2003 / 2004 techno was hard banging stuff, trance was so energetic and tech trance was full on, hard and chunky. Lately it's been near impossible to find a decent pumping techno track that isn't by Peppelino, Reaky, or Axel Karakasis because all the other producers seem to be producing that minimal stuff (some like it but personally it bores me to death). The slow down of techno coupled with the slow down of trance & the recent influx of loads of proggy stuff has caused tech trance to slow down too. Back about 4 years ago prog & tech trance were distinct genres with tech trance always having that hard edge but now the edges are blurred. As a result producers that were churning out absolute belters such as Marco V, Cosmic Gate, etc have gone all soft. On top of that many great producers of a few years ago are unheard of now. I fell out of love with dance music around 2005 but when I got back into it around the beginning of 2008 everything was fresh & that electro chunky sound that trance was using was brilliant. Fast forward a year & a half and it's so stale. In all honesty I haven't bought any new tunes in a month or two. All i've been mixing lately is classics from 03 / 04.

</rant>

depends, banging tracks are out there. but again music has moved on. if you spend a good day going through beatport, audiojelly etc you will get some banging stuff.

but people like rank1 and f&w was going back to trance in the early 2000 genre when the track was made in 2005 etc.

Trance music has changed and more producers are jumping on the tech trance and progressive band wagon.

just look harder for the good stuff

depends, i'd class activa as more peaktime trance, his productions are generally more banging and placed in a well building set at the right time can work pretty well.

Yeah, he's more peak-time, driving Trance i'd say. I wouldn't class him as being necessarily hard.

I really miss the days of F&W, those fantastic Fingers Burnt booties and tracks like the E-Craig remix of Silvio Ecomo's Uprising. Back then if I saw the name Rank1 on a release I'd have bought it without even listening to it because I knew it was going to be fantastic driving & energetic trance.

Definately! F&W was a superb label. DJ CHoose & Michael Splint kicked ass!

The slow down of techno coupled with the slow down of trance & the recent influx of loads of proggy stuff has caused tech trance to slow down too.

Agreed! I don't even know why "Tech-Trance" is still called "Tech-Trance" - it hardly has any resemblance to Techno at all now. Tech-Trance was half Techno, Half Trance - hence the name. To me, thats stuff like the old BXR stuff which was proper raw Techno basslines with Trance breakdowns. Modern Tech-Trance has none of that.

Is it just me, or has this year been particularly slow and dull for Trance? Everyone is slowing down to 135bpm...

Have definately noticed this myself and found myself with less 'drive' to really go looking for music compared to how I used to and even have a good old spin.

I do like to still make my mixes, but have not really had that much great material lately.

For me, I'd say in agreement with the statement that 'Trance is struggling at the moment' and I am kinda growing out of it, but more of the newer sound. I still love to listen to older stuff, but can also kind of say I've gotten a little bored... :(

youre getting bored of it. I did.

Might be going the same way too, sadly :(

Paul's "The Wolf" track I think comes in at 141 and other productions vary between 135 upwards, I think? For me, these have been only the good tracks I've looked forward to being released and see good quality in the artist! :)

i dont think getting bored of a genre of music is a bad thing. Its just progression. I love trance, i always will. I love the old stuff i grew up on aswell. But these days i like a more housier sound - that is now my passion. Nothing stays the same forever, and i'm afraid, that applies to music aswell.

There hve been a few trance tunes that i've thought were pretty good this year though, like the ubiquitous Andy Moor/Ashley Wallbridge "Faces" (Ben Gold Mix) track. But other than that, i now like the more bass heavy sound in electro house. It reminds me of the old speed garage tracks, so i'd say i've gone full circle almost.

I agree with Moonman in that getting bored just means you've hung round the same thing too long and it's time to move on a step. I still play old skool, Happy House, Eurotrance, God if I liked it once I play it now, but I don't still wanna go and see those DJ's playing the same sorta tunes. That would be well boring!!

;)

I believe (and please disagree and debate about this!) that dance music in general needs to wrap itself up and be driven underground a bit more, perhaps using the drum n bass scene as template. This would strengthen its flavour and quality as the fodder falls by the wayside, and also allow it to have time regain it's 'cool' factor and lose its commerciality moniker, if that's ever possible.

It might sound self-centred but back in '98, I felt I had uncovered a genre of music which stood out in quality and which only a few friends of mine really appreciated.

More thoughts please!

I remember this argument back in 2003, trance apparently pulled its socks up, but for me it was too late and I'd already moved on to different, and in the end better (imo) things.

Maybe you hit the nail on the head Briggsy and you actually are just bored of it after so many years? I can't even listen to it now, it really doesn't interest me, but the old stuff I like as much as the 1st day I hear it.

On a side note, I've only ever seen people talk about specific BPM's on trance boards lol.

I don't think I have actually got bored of it though - I still love Trance more than any other genre. Its just that most of it has slowed down and softened up and that's the side of Trance I don't like. I love the boshy side of Trance - and there is less and less being produced.

If it picks up again, i'll be happy. In the meantime, i'll just be playing more Techno.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I have actually got bored of it though - I still love Trance more than any other genre. Its just that most of it has slowed down and softened up and that's the side of Trance I don't like. I love the boshy side of Trance - and there is less and less being produced.

If it picks up again, i'll be happy. In the meantime, i'll just be playing more Techno.

I definately agree that Trance has generally slowed down pace-wise over the past couple of years or so. So much in fact that older Trance tunes from around 1999-2006 seem really pacey now compared to most Trance tunes nowadays. Back then, the general speed of about 137-140 bpm just seemed like the norm, whereas now it feels really fast.

There are still some decent tunes being made from the harder side of Trance though. Producers such as Mac & Taylor, Kamui, Mark Sherry, Scot Project, etc, are really doing the job for me in that field at the moment :)