2 channel mixer or 3 channel

simonross46

I'm in the process of finalising the package deal I want to buy but the dilemma I face is whether to invest more in the actual CDJ's or the mixer.

I am looking at getting Citronic CDJ's, and there are two options regarding these (one set of CDJ's being a cheaper option, the other being the updated product with more effects etc). This means if I go for the cheaper CDJ package I have more money to spend on the mixer, which leads me on to the topic ...

What is the advantage of using a 3 channel mixer compared with a 2 channel mixer? Will I really benefit from 3 channels?

Also, can anyone enlighten me with some knowledge and advice on what is the best thing for me to do in general. Do I invest more in my CDJ's or my mixer? I've given myself a strict budget of £300 - £600 as I am still running my car, and theres the fact I am now a student.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some links of what I'm looking at ...

Cheap CDJ option with cheap mixer option: http://www.decks.co.uk/package/Citronic_MPCDS3_Gemini_PS424x_43438

Cheap CDJ option with more expensive mixer option: http://www.decks.co.uk/package/Citronic_MPCDS3_Gemini_PS626x_43441

More expensive CDJ option with cheap mixer option: http://www.decks.co.uk/package/Citronic_MPCDS6_Gemini_PS424x_42621

More expensive CDJ option with more expensive mixer option: http://www.decks.co.uk/package/Citronic_MPCDS6_Gemini_PS626x_42624

basically most mixers have a crossfader, which is assignable 2 to channels to swap between channels, a 3 channel mixer has that too if your familier with mixers.

to use it in a 3 channel setup turn the crossfader off and use the up and down faders and up the faders as many as needed

Personally its a no brainer for me, I have my 2 1210's running through 2 channels, use one for my sampler, but most importantly, (as this is is about 2 or 3 channels lol) my 4th channel is used for all sorts, laptop goes through there, handy for ipods etc at parties, good if someone brings round a cdj for some 3 deck action etc etc.

Basically, for the money you pay compared to the rewards, a 2 channel mixer is pretty much a daft idea.

2's restrictive, 3's versatile, 4's handy!

Just noticed, you must really have wanted the answer to this, how do you even go about triple posting lol :D

Got a right funny image of you hammering the mouse.

hahaha my internet went t**s up during the posting process, so i started to click refresh in fear that my post was lost. maybe it's a sign ... posted 3 times, buy a 3 channel mixer.

looking back at the initial question it does seem a bit daft to be asking, but as im so used to just using a very basic software package im not wanting to make any mistakes, especially at these pricesi bet as soon as i get hands on with it all it will start to make sense, but when browsing nothing but photos its hard to imagine how certain things would work.

but as im so used to just using a very basic software package im not wanting to make any mistakes, especially at these pricesi bet as soon as i get hands on with it all it will start to make sense, but when browsing nothing but photos its hard to imagine how certain things would work.

That's a very good point mate, and to be honest when people ask these sort of questions I always kind of take it for granted, where as the reality is I was in the exact same position 10 years ago!

But looking back, I don't regret spending more than I could afford, cos the exact same decks and mixer are still going strong 10 years on.

There's no shortcuts to buying dj gear. My mate's mixer is proof of that lol.

Whilst showing my dad some of the options, ideally I would go for a CDJ 200 package but thats waaaay expensive ... and I know I could probably find some cheap on ebay, but as a beginner I feel more secure using a proper site. After a while I'll get comfortable with what I have then no doubt look at getting more stuff like new mixers or whatever on ebay, and maybe even look at upgrading to a full pioneer setup when money rolls in again. Still early days, but after using my software for 5 years I wont be satisfied with a proper beginner package deal! Thats why I'm considering the more expensive option from the links I posted, cos I'll have more to play with but it wont be too challenging :)

Depending on how serious you are mate - go for a Pioneer.

Absolutely quality - transforms the sound of your mixes by a million and I recall having a fair few mixers in my time - they are the shiz!

Even just cuttin out the bass in a track is quality!

Seriously consider this, weigh it up, otherwise my vote is for the MPCDS6 & PS424x Package Details - depending on if you will use the extra channels or not.

PS - shop around a lot for them and ring them up - decks do a great price match and on past experiences are really friendly :)

Depending on how serious you are mate - go for a Pioneer.

Absolutely quality - transforms the sound of your mixes by a million and I recall having a fair few mixers in my time - they are the shiz!

Even just cuttin out the bass in a track is quality!

I'd have to disagree there, the quality of sound in Pioneer mixers is terrible, on a big system anyways. Good enough in my bedroom likes, but quality of sound / cost, Allen & Heath all the way!

i love the sliders on the Allen & Heaths. Thats what i use at The Fez in Cambs, they have a nice setup. The mixers i would steer clear from are Behringers. The curve on the faders is so sharp, its horrible.

I really like the sound of the Vestax mixers. I think they make some good ones. The best mixer i've played on is one of those Formula Sound mixers. They're huuuuuuge but i like the fader paddles and the sound quality is good. Erm, i played Liquid, Peterborough on one years ago :rubbish:

I think though, if i had to part with hard earned, i'd roll with Pioneer, i've used the DJM500/600/800 a lot throughout my DJing and they are so sturdy. I'd hunt out a DJM 300 if i was you, it is only 2 channel though.

The quality of sound in Pioneer mixers is terrible, on a big system anyways.

No way! Bedroom or club they are immense. Have played many of a gig and radio show using an array of mixers and Pioneer is by far the best for me. That's why I took the plunge and busted ~£500 in such a piece of kit, which has still proven to be reliable, effective and maintain it's retail value to this day :)

Problem I have is with uni ahead and also a car that I am still running I can't afford to go full on pioneer, but I really want to. I think whilst I am at uni though it may be wise if I take a cheaper option anyway incase they get damaged or possibly even stolen (who knows). When uni is finished and I am still at it then I'll probably sell what I get now and look at a pioneer set up :)

No way! Bedroom or club they are immense. Have played many of a gig and radio show using an array of mixers and Pioneer is by far the best for me. That's why I took the plunge and busted ~£500 in such a piece of kit, which has still proven to be reliable, effective and maintain it's retail value to this day :)

I'll admit that I haven't really heard any newish Pioneer mixers in bedrooms etc, but I've got a DJM 600 and the sound is, and always has been, honking! Well, compared to A&H's on the same setup.

Its like cassette vs cd imo.

I think you have a point JM... but you wouldn't necessarily notice unless you'd heard the pioneer mixer against a better one on a really good club system. Ive got a Pioneer DJM 700 which is great for bedroom DJing and I love it for the effects and general functionality but there are better sounding mixers out there for sure. The Formula Sound ones Moonman mentioned are very good actually. I know a guy who owns a big Funktion One rig and he uses those mixers... he really hates it when promoters or DJs insist he provides a Pioneer mixer because he also thinks they sound pants.

Anyway.... on to Simon's predicament. I'd go for the extra channel(s) myself as I'm sure one extra channel will always come in handy for laptops/iPods etc. I use a 4 channel mixer because I have turntables and CDJ's connected all the time in my setup. One thing to bear in mind is that Mixers often have more physical input connectors than actual channels or faders. This is because on a 2 channel mixer for example each channel will have 2 inputs, one for CD/line level and one for phono level (decks). Sometimes the phono input has a little switch on the back to turn it into another line input. This would mean you could have an iPod cable or something connected to the phono inputs on channel 2 (switched to line) and also 2 CDJs connected to the CD inputs.. However you would have to switch between CD2 or iPod on fader 2... you cant have all 3 things in the mix together. But if you just need something connected for convenience that you would never want to put into the mix... this could be an option on a 2 channel.

In reality though I doubt you'd have to pay much more to get a 3 channel mixer so I'd do that if I were you.

In terms of the CDJs I'd def. recommend the Pioneers BUT be aware that prices on Pioneer kit are currently about a third more expensive than a year ago due to the weak pound. I dont know if they are likely to come down again but I would hope they will if the economy ever sorts its self out. I bought my CDJ-1000's for £1600 including flight cases from decks.co.uk in January. Go on there now and the same deal is about £2400!!!

Pioneer mixers are superb, Would trade mine in for nowt, I've tryed most brands of mixers and would agree Allen & Heath mixers are useless, I had the Xone:62 before and for what I paid for it, No way was it worth the money, think it lasted about 8 months before I'd knackered out all the 5 Channels, They sound pretty good on a loud system but when in the bedroom environment the sound just isn't good at all! :wacko:

Numark mixers are not too bad, for the price I'd say there pretty upto some on the high range mixers on the market. You may not get 100's of special effects but lets face it, There only gonna be used in a club rather then in your latest mix to throw out to your friends.

Started with a Pioneer 12 or so years ago, when it was the DJM500 that was doing all the business back then, Tryed quite a few in between but when I got my DJM600 Boy can you tell the difference.

As to your question about why would you want a 3 channel mixer, Well in my experience, channels wear out quite rapidly depending on how much abuse you give them, (yes spraying compressed air will prolong the life of them but not much longer if were honest) So the more channels you have, the more you have to swap with if one of them goes haywire on you. Hope this helps in your descison mate.

Bloody hell, just had a wee look on Decks.co.uk to get a rough idea of dj prices these days,

£845 for a pair of 1210 Mk2's, got my Mk3's for £630!

Serato?!! £429!!!! Mine was £299.99!

I see you can get a free £20 Beatport voucher with that for an extra £20, excellent!

my traktor was £475, bet a year ago was half that