Converting WMA into MP3 ??

Number2Fan

Free WMA to MP3 converter is here available here:

http://www.wma-mp3.org/

I have all my music in mp3: it's the only format which every device in the world is perfectly happy decoding and playing straight away. Anything in WMA, MP4, AAC, OGG etc I simply convert to mp3. There are things to consider when doing this - for instance, I would probably convert 192kbps AAC into a 256kbps MP3 because AAC is actually a better algorithm in encoding sound - but generally speaking mp3 is king and so I would recommend changing your software now (especially if it's Windows Media Player) so it rips items only into mp3 format :)

TBH I assumed it was ripping into MP3 from CD at the highest quality!! Automatically!! :rubbish: and just now when I checked some of the formats they were indeed MP3 but some that I was moving around this morning were not. Having said that too, I just realised the MP3s were only 126kbps which is also a bit gash isn't it, as when it's played through the proper system you can really tell that. So................ I'm gonna sleep on it and then clear it all and rip again from the start.

Shall I not use the WMP for this anymore? Is that what you were saying?

WMA you mean? Well, my recommendation is just that you stick to one format, and I believe mp3 to be the most versatile.

320kbps is the max bitrate possible, so you should try ripping your CDs to that wherever possible - your ears deserve it! :)

wav is full resolution no compression, wma and mp3 both use some sort of compression, effectively stripping out the sounds the ear isnt capable of picking up.

i've always found wma gives a bit better sound quality than mp3, but mp3 is more widespread and compatible with any music player software and music playback device

....and................. if it's a higher quality bitrate, will it use up more space on my hard drive?

Also, just as an additional question here... the best way to back it all up incase my Laptop goes kapput or lost is what?

Some sorta external hardrive?? How would that work!

mp3 is more preferred, nobody uses wma, it is microsoft, hence the name windows media audio

wma files are smaller, but iv never noticed much difference in sound quality.

stick to mp3, and ideally highest resolution possible, ideally 320kbs if not 256.

high bit rates do eat up more hard drive space, but you would need a heck of a lot of mp3s to use up a full 120gb drive.

DJ Mixes are usually what take the space, because there large files, usually 60mb +

backup wise an external hard drive is ideal, but hard drives are unreliable, so never trust them 100%, they can and do fail!........look at simon ross's situation, he lost s*** loads of stuff.

In an ideal world backup 2 identical copies onto 2 external hard drives, there the most easilly accessible form of backup device, and cheap nowdays for large ammounts, or use dvds, but large ammounts of data will require alot of dvd's.

Backup wise, you have to options, drag and drop your files onto an external drive, or use software to do it for you automatically......some external drives will come with this, most decent makes will, but not all, check the manufacturer's site and they will tell you.

I think back in the day, these lower bitrates (192 and lower) were useful because they saved space.... but nowadays with so much disk space available there's absolutely no excuse for not going equal with CD quality, i.e. as Ian said 320 or 256 at least on your mp3s.

Still got my vinyl though (which is better than CD quality) :D

Archived