production software

Moonman

To all the producers out there, what do you use and why?

I want to start production work myself as a sideline, so that i can start doing my own remixes of tracks i like for when i play out. I've got tonnes of ideas, but can't put them down, so now, obviously i'd like to start doing to this, as i feel this is a natural progression from DJing - which i'm happy with at the moment.

The problem i have is, i dont know which software to use. I've researched this extensively and i'm torn between two; Ableton Live 8 and Reason.

I've spoken to a couple of well known producers and asked which they prefer, and it seems split. Some like Reason, which although is supposed to be initally quite fiddly, is actually a powerful program with oodles of plug ins. Others like Ableton for its flexibility and ease of use. I'm siding with Reason at the moment, but i dont honestly know which one to choose.

Can someone please help? The style that i play an will want to produce is "Electro" House in the main; Dave Spoon, Will Bailey, Lee Mortimer, Twocker, Malente kind of sound.

at the mo use ableton live 8 its a great piece of software there is so much you can do,its user friendly aswell which is the most important thing,if you look up youtube there is loads of vids on ableton and reason,im gona be doing a music course with timmy and tommy nxt month and i be using reason 4 that

Ableton Live 7 and 8 for me at the moment. It's easy to understand quickly (good if you want to crack on right away) and like Jaylo says, if you get stuck with anything there are loads of videos and tutorials around to guide you with what you are wanting to do. I'll be using Logic at University though.

Keep in mind that Reason is a standalone product. More or less everything you need to make a tune is in there, but when it comes to using plugins you'll have to use something else. Some people find this constriction a creative help, others find this a creative hindrance.

I think you'd be wise to start with Reason as things can't get too complex and you can get some awesome sounds out of it, whilst learning the principles of production at the same time. When you find your feet, or want something new, move on.

For the record I use Fruity Loops and Reason as sound sources, and Acid to tie it all together.

i think its an easier to use package than logic or cubase and a good starting point, but for top notch stuff you prob wanna look at cubase on pc or logic on mac and get mastering that

for example check steve helstrip's aka the thrillseekers studio sessions vids where he's using cubase

or sander van doorns vids using logic

Archived