Clubbing retirement

Briggsy

Well, its something i've said to myself that i'm going to do for the past year, but haven't - but now, after my birthday night out at the MoS, i'll be finally knocking the clubbing on the head in order to prolong my DJ'ing days.

I've had problems with my ears for a while now and struggle to hear people talk even in supermarkets or places where there's only a bit of background noise (People don't even bother trying to talk to me in a club now because they know I cna't hear a word). Something has got to give - either DJ'ing or clubbing. DJ'ing is everything to me, whereas i'm not overly bothered about quitting clubbing now - particularly now that the Trance scene has changed so much and DJs that were once my favourites (Eddie Halliwell, Richard Durand, Jules, etc) haven't impressed me at all over the last 12 months - so now's the time to call it a day.

Its the end of an era - but my body is telling me something - and i've ignored it. If I carry on ignoring it, then i'll be forced into quitting DJ'ing and clubbing in the future because the damage will get worse, so i'd rather give up the clubbing and prolong the DJ'ing for a bit longer - particularly as the past 12 months have probably been the best for me from a DJ'ing point of view since 2003. I'm 31 next week, so it'd be nice to think I can get another 2 or 3 years out of my ears before I have to quite DJ'ing too.

Quite sad, but gotta be done :(

It's easier to control what you hear when DJing, I have yet to play a gig where the DJ on before me hasn't had the cue volume up uncomfortably loud. I always have it as quiet as I can get away with in order to preserve my ears as best I can.

I've not been clubbing as much as I used to now for a couple of years, partly due to the fact that the lineups my way have been dire & most of my friends aren't really up for the long-haul trips to go out.

Its years of headphone abuse that has messed my ears up to be honest - i'm one of those annoying people you mentioned Tom - I have the volume as loud as I can handle - even when i'm at home. I'm a sucker for loud music. I don't use monitor speakers either, which hasn't helped. If I actually used monitors and stopped blasting my ear drums out with excessively loud headphones, then I probably wouldn't be as bad :( Hearing problems are hereditory on my dads side of the family too which is another problem.

Its embarrassing getting people to repeat what they're saying over and over again. Sometimes I give up to save the embarrassment - but then I look arrogant and rude. When i'm out clubbing, most people that know me type what they want to say on their phone and show me - but those that don't try to talk to me and its awkward. My left ear is the worst aswell - and thats the one people always talk into lol.

I felt sorry for Attila when he met me at the MoS - he must have repeated himself hundreds of times that night.

It doesn't annoy me with the loud cue volume it just surprises me really how it seems to be every DJ haha, I hate having the feeling that the cans are vibrating so much that it feels like they're gona bounce off your ears. I love loud music but I get my fix with the monitors & club setup. At home I limit the volume as low as I can in the 'phones but have it nice & loud on the main speakers as well.

I've never thought of it as a preventative measure, just how I prefer it really

I felt sorry for Attila when he met me at the MoS - he must have repeated himself hundreds of times that night.

Haha, I dont remember it being that bad to be honest, lol! I'll make sure I do the typing into phone thing then, though you'll prob hear my girlfriend OK, she's got quite a loud voice ;) Glad you're coming along though, we'll make it a good send-off!!! When is your birthday then??

OH NO!!!

Actually smart move, lol but if it's DJing when you like it loud.

I actually have ringing in my ears every night in bed, I imagine it's there through the day too but just doesn't notice too much, but at work there are so many demos, and music, and children screaming, I'm blaming it on that, but I think the problem really is simply from headphones!! :(

Anyway, I'm never gonna be a DJ out live now, although I'd love it, but I do still love dancing so I'm sticking with clubbing for the time being.

But I think you've made a good choice.

As long as you come out to one of the meet up's some time though. :mrgreen:

Don't want to alarm you no2 fan, but you might want to get that checked. A mate of mine was a very promising dj, and he had to pack it all in at the age of 24 when he was diagnosed with Tinnitus. Thats how it affected him, a ringing noise in the ears when it was quiet. I think Taul Paul suffered from it too. Not saying thats what you have, but I just thought you would like to know.

I'm too worried to get it checked. My Grandad was deaf and my Dad is pretty much deaf now too. Only hearing certain tones and levels I think. f****** nightmare to speak to him. They can't do nothing about Tinnitus can they, so I don't wanna know about it.

My hearing isn't bad actually though, I can hear alot of stuff, even quiet noises, but when there's alot of background noise, like at work or in a club, I do say PARDON!!!!! 'quite alot' surely that's the same for everyone though. Some guy was talking to me in MoS actually, I couldn't hear a single sound he made, felt like my dad, just nodding and smiling and hoping it was appropriate!! :oddcake:

i seem to be quite lucky with hearing. Im one of the DJ's who cranks monitors right up, along with the que level on the mixer for headphones, yet my hearing is still pretty good, i've had it checked out too. So for me, its business as usual! s*** soundsystems dont help matters though.

no, but i bet you've been to loads of clubs that have, where the treble is painfully high etc etc

Prolonged exposure is one way that can cause damage, but equally so can a brief encounter with sudden excessive loudness:

I mentioned on here before I once entered a funk/jazz club in London a few years back and immediately you could tell the speakers' high-end treble was set FAR too high, and I really mean to the point that wherever you stood they were positively hurting the inside of your ears. I was only in there an hour and I came out with ringing that lasted 3 whole scary days until it gradually disappeared....

I can safely say it scared the crap out of me and I've steered well clear of any outrageously loud speakers ever since! Full respect for choosing DJing over clubbing, Briggsy - I think your ears will be forever grateful.

I'm too worried to get it checked.

That's my problem too. I know i've got hearing problems, and I know i've gone a bit deaf. The thing is, at the moment, I know i've gone a "bit deaf" - I don't actually know how much, and what lifespan they'd have longer term.

If I was told "you're 20% deaf and heading for a hearing aid in 5 years time", i'd probably panic and quit DJ'ing and clubbing completely - whereas if I don't know, I'll carry on. Its a stupid attitude to have - but i'd be worried about my reaction. I love DJ'ing too much to give it up, but i'm not that arsed about giving up clubbing now.

My hearing isn't bad actually though
when there's alot of background noise, like at work or in a club, I do say PARDON!!!!! 'quite alot' surely that's the same for everyone though.

I'm afraid to say that your hearing is probably worse than you think then. The frequency of speech is the first to go when you've got serious hearing damage - this is my problem at the moment - I struggle to hear people talking even when there's a bit of background noise. If you've got tinnitus too, then there's definately a problem.

Hearing damage can't be reversed though, and you don't DJ out and I know you said you don't go clubbing as often as you used to - so you're unlikely to do too much further damage now, which is a good thing.

I think sound systems are alot better than they used to be though for sure, they can be incredibly loud now and NOT distort in the speakers, merely in your brain!!

To be honest, some of them are shocking. Funktion 1 sound systems are amazing - every club i've been into with one of those sound systems has had superb, crystal clear sound - and when you come out, your ears don't ring at all.

Some sound systems are the opposite though - they're very distorted, and the frequencies they give out are also bad. JBL sound systems are awful in clubs - Godskitchen's sound system is terrible now. My ears cane when I come out of there. Passion's was also very painful when I was in there last - and that is also a JBL set-up. The trouble with a lot of clubs too is that they run everything at its limit. The club may have a capacity of 1000 people - so they'll get a sound system that is suitable for 800-1000 people and max it out rather than getting a sound system that is suitable for 2000 people and running it on half of its capacity so that the sound quality is better. It amazes me that clubs will pay thousands and thousands month after month for top DJ's, yet they won't spend the money on a top-end sound system - which is probably the most important part of a club.

Sorry to hear but yeah, your doing the right thing man....

btw, earplugs are an issue for me, the skin on 1 of my ears is smaller than the other so I have a problem with earphones and with earplugs, it doesnt sit properly in my right ear..... its well annoying...

Archived