Jules walks off mid-set

milkybarkid

Apparently Jules walked off mid-set at a gig in Sunderland on Saturday night. Hadn't heard anything about it myself, but I'm sure there's loads of 'Superstar DJ Acts Like A Diva' stuff doing the rounds. I have to say, I dont blame him if what he says is correct. The promoters sound very shady.

http://www.judgejules.net/index.php?page=2

Apparently Jules walked off mid-set at a gig in Sunderland on Saturday night. Hadn't heard anything about it myself, but I'm sure there's loads of 'Superstar DJ Acts Like A Diva' stuff doing the rounds. I have to say, I dont blame him if what he says is correct. The promoters sound very shady.

http://www.judgejules.net/index.php?page=2

WHat? Just because of the mixer and his set being recorded?

And how much was he being paid for this

There are loads of things going round the DJ world at the mo....Mistabishi pretending to DJ while putting on a pre mixed CD, others using pre pitched CDs

Mad!!!

according to his online diary posting, his technical rider requests 3 pioneer cdj 1000, and a djm 800 mixer

3 cdjs, probably 2 to mix with, and 1 to overlay crap accapellas and jingles. i dont see why he requests a djm 800 mixer, as whats up with an allen & heath, or a pioneer djm 600?? although like he says in most decent clubs this is industry standard.

the recording the set side of things, i dont get, because if people wanted a mix, they could go on his site and download a monthly mix for free or grab one off the net, why would you wanna sell em in this day and age, and who would buy them being honest??

as far as contractual agreements go, i dont even think the club would get there money back, as if this is in his contract, then i guess its breach of contract, he pockets, the agency takes there cut, and the club loose out and the fans dont see the dj they paid to see, and his reputation gets a bit of damaging :thumbsdown:

another thing is jules commented that the mixer or the sound, sounded reallly bad. now maybe a £1200 mixer might have some help on that, but not loads, as overall thats dealt with by the EQ settings on the mixer or down to how good the clubs sound system is. and it was upto jules to play about with the EQ settings on the mixer to make it sound better.

something doesnt add up here.

From reading his report it seems Jules believes he did the right thing walking off because the venue had broken terms of contract regarding recording his set. I think this was the issue which pushed him to actually walk out. I think he did the right thing to be honest. If a contract clearly states that unauthorised recordings are not to be made, then trying to make one secretly was a big mistake on the Club's part. Yes Jules gives out a free monthly mix on his website which is pretty much always recorded at MOS these days, but in that situation he chooses to put it up. He wouldn't upload the mix if he wasn't happy with his set for example and when mixing the set he would be aware that he was recording it to put on the site and perhaps this would effect the way he plays - concentrating on the mixing more, maybe playing certain tunes he wants to include. The problem is that if they had got away with recording the set he doesn't know what they would have done with it. Maybe people would not want to buy it these days but if they'd uploaded it and given it a way as a bit of promotion for the club or something, they'd still be using Jules' mix for their own gain without permission or without paying any royalties to him or any of his tunes he might feature etc.

He states in his report that with the mixer issue he would have just put up with it and then got his management to give them an ear bashing on the monday so he wasn't walking out just because the mixer was wrong. However I can see why he was annoyed at this too since the club had told his management when they did their pre-gig checks that they did have the 800. They then say it was broken but cant produce it to show Jules and say it's on its way from another bar! They were clearly bulls***ting. To be honest I can see why Jules walked off this one. It sounds like he was really messed about. The obvious drawback is that the crowd will have felt let down and would have had no idea of the issues so many will no doubt have taken this the wrong way. I admire Jules for sticking to his principals on this one though.

I'm 50/50 with this one to be honest. Jules did say that if it had just been a mixer issue, then he would have carried on playing and got his management to give them a bit of a telling off on the Monday morning. By the sounds of it, if the mixer had been genuinely faulty, then Jules wouldn't have been overly bothered and would have carried on. However, they had clearly lied 4 times before the night, seemed to be unconvincing on the night - and then Jules found a recorder too - that blatantly takes the p***. The promotors had over-stepped the mark once too often that night.

HOWEVER, I do find some DJ's contractual demands to be way over the top. A mixer is a mixer - most clubs will have a club standard mixer of some kind - whether it be a Pioneer DJM600, DJM800 - or some kind of Allen & Heath mixer. An experienced DJ should be able to turn up and use any of those comfortably. Unknown/Up-and-coming DJ's have to make do with what's presented to them when they DJ out, and they do a good job - so so should an experienced club DJ. So, unless it's some horrendous £50 Fisher Price mixer, it shouldn't be a problem to anyone.

As for the recorder - I can understand the reasons why, and I don't object to DJ's refusing to have their mixes recorded - but a simple "Excuse me, but it was stated in my contract that the recording of my set wasn't allowed - could you kindly stop recording and remove the device" should be enough. Walking off only affects the crowd. The promotors won't care because they've still made their money - they'd just refuse to book Jules again. Jules won't care because he'd still get his DJ fee because the promotors had broken their side of the contract. The crowd, however, will care - they've paid to see Jules, but didn't get to see him properly. They wouldn't be entitled to a refund - and they never got to see Jules - so they're the ones missing out.

So yes, whilst I can understand Jules being seriously p***ed off, I think walking off was a selfish thing to do. He could have just stopped the recording device and put it in his pocket until the end to ensure it isn't set up elsewhere, carried on and at least given the crowd what they paid to see, and then given the promotors a right roasting after his set - and vowed not to play for them ever again. Simples!

I guess if he had a little bit more patience left in him at that point he could have bit his tongue for a bit longer and handled it differently for the sake of the crowd. As Briggsy points out they are the only ones who really lose out here. However it seems like they'd gone too far and pushed him over the edge. He obviously wasn't in the right frame of mind to DJ with all the conflict between him and the promoter/venue staff going on.

I guess if he had a little bit more patience left in him at that point he could have bit his tongue for a bit longer and handled it differently for the sake of the crowd. As Briggsy points out they are the only ones who really lose out here. However it seems like they'd gone too far and pushed him over the edge. He obviously wasn't in the right frame of mind to DJ with all the conflict between him and the promoter/venue staff going on.

I agree with the above comments and would just like to add that l reckon Jules is feeling really bad about letting the clubbers down, that's why he has apologised to them via his website.

Pete, Jules's driver told me all about it when we were chatting @ JS vs Digital Society, Leeds last Sat night, shortly after the incident.

BTW it was a really good night @ Digital Society, Jules played a really good set and l'm pretty sure he didn't play any bootlegs/mashups :lol: Good sets from Sean Tyas, Simon Patterson, Matt Hardwick and Kane Nelson who played back to back with Rav Takhar.

Whilst l was chatting to Pete, Jules played Peewee Ferris "Seven" which is one of my favourite tunes, just love it! I would have loved to have got it on film but unfortunately missed it. :angry: I'll try and put a couple of the clips up on my Facebook Page (of Jules) and if l manage it l'll post up the link. The sound quality wasn't very good as l was too close to the speaker. :o

Archived