World Cup Draw

MikeW

So after all the hype, the World Cup draw has finally been done & England have been handed a pretty generous looking group to put it mildly...

I don't really agree with the system of 'seeding' the big names & putting the teams in different pots for the draw, etc. Looking at each of the groups, it looks like you generally have one big name, one 'not quite as' big name, & the remaining two are there to make up the numbers (bar Brazil's group of course). It seems to me like the draw is set up to avoid any shocks & ensure that the top names will go all the way.

I reckon it would have been good to just throw all 32 names into one pot & randomly draw them out one by one? For example, if Brazil, Spain, England & Argentina ended up in the same group then so be it? Now that would be interesting... :lol:

Just a few thoughts I had on the subject, please feel free to discuss :)

I'm going to say exactly as I did on the Matt Hardwick board, where I got moaned at for being negative - i'm not negative - i'm just realistic - England are a great side on paper, but average on the pitch. The players lack passion, and they seem to think they can win games just by turning up.

We play well against the big teams, but never look convincing against small teams - and being in a group of small teams worries me to be honest. I think we'll reach the quarter-finals. Semi's at a push.

Sorry, i'd love to be more positive - but although our statistics always look good, our performances do not.

Players that always seem to disapoint playing for England,Frank Lampard plays week in week out, amazingly for Chel-ski, But yet for England can't seem to play to save his life.

I also feel Steven Gerrard doesn't vut the mustard for me either, Hopefully Beckham will make a last great contribution for England. And as long as we can keep Wayne Rooney fit and he plays at his best we should easily make it to the semi's.

Players that always seem to disapoint playing for England,Frank Lampard plays week in week out, amazingly for Chel-ski, But yet for England can't seem to play to save his life.

I also feel Steven Gerrard doesn't vut the mustard for me either, Hopefully Beckham will make a last great contribution for England. And as long as we can keep Wayne Rooney fit and he plays at his best we should easily make it to the semi's.

Lampard is useless. He's been given chance after chance and only had a handful of good games - yet still gets picked, whilst we've had a few "one cap wonders" that have played well, but never been picked again because England manager haven't had the balls to drop the "big" players. Rio Ferdinand is often very clumsy, and Ashley Cole can be a liability aswell at times.

Somehow Heskey always seems to be in favour, despite Crouch's statistics suggesting that, on a goals per game ration, he's one of our best strikers of all time (we all know he's not - but he does score goals for England - and to be fair, that justifies him a place in my opinion).

Agree with some of whats said but think in Capello we have a manager who knows how to deliver. Ive said with the team we have i fancy them getting to the semi final . We will p*** the group as none any of them teams can handle us.

Regards Lampard id drop him and get Gerrard in the middle instead of on the left. The Ashley Cole comment i dont agree with as he is by far the best left back in the world and has this season started playing with the freedom to run forward that he had at Arsenal . This will benifit England as we have two attacking left and right backs now which we have lacked in the past.

My only concerns are our Goalkeepers and injuries which we seem to have issues with. I think all the Goalkeepers Capello has used arent the best but sadly there aint much more out there to pick from but at a push id go with Paul Robinson , as he has played in a world cup and has started keeping regular clean sheets for Blackburn. Regard the injuries this is one thing that really worries me as cant remember the last time we went to a big tornament without a serious injury worry or carrying injured players. Just hope they can all stay fit.

My money is on our German friends... oooh I feel a board poll coming to see where we all stand!

2010 World Cup draw

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B: Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece

Group C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D: Germany, Australia, Ghana, Serbia

Group E: Netherlands, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark

Group F: Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal

Group H: Spain, Honduras, Chile, Switzerland

Archived