Michael Owen

Neuro

Big fan of Owen and a good hat-trick last night. Capello has to pick strikers who are fit, playing top-flight football, and scoring goals for fun...

If he bags a shedload of goals now he'll surely be warrant a place ahead of some of our other players....? Or not?

Being a Man Utd fan myself, it was great to see Owen bag that hat trick last night. Here's hoping he can keep up that kind of form & also avoid any injuries, etc...

I reckon Owen would be of more use in the England squad than Heskey for example. You just feel that Owen is more likely to get that crucial goal when needed. It baffles me how Heskey is always included in the squad when all he seems to do lately is keep Aston Villa's bench warm? :huh:

Id pick him on what hes doing at the moment. I cant see why Capello wont pick him, as if there is 1 thing i dislike about Capello its his theory of only picking players who are fit and play full 90 mins which makes me wonder how Heskey gets in the squad , as he aint in the first 11 at Villa and up front doesnt offer any goal threat for England. In Owen we have that goal threat . People say he has lost pace which is true but if you watch his goals from last night his movement and managing to draw players into positions to free up space for himself was awesome. Also he can be a great impact player off the bench for England , he is proving that he can be on what he is doing at Manure.

I really hope he gets picked for the World Cup providing he is fit, as we all know if we get a chance in the last ten minutes there is only 1 guy i want to see on the ball Mr Owen . Hope i dont sound like a nut hugger haha

I'd take him - but only as a squad player.

I'd rather see Defoe and Crouch up front for England to be honest. Regardless of how clumsy Crouch looks, and the amount of critics he has, when it comes to playing for England, he scores goals.

It amazes me how Heskey has so many caps. According to a recent article I read, Heskey's highest goal tally in the Premiership is 11 goals. That is not good enough for someone who must be approaching, if not passed, 50 England caps. For some bizarre reason, he's played a large percentage of those games out on the left wing. Why? He's never played that position for any of his clubs - probably because he couldn't cross a bridge, and won't run at players to take them on.

England have three "regulars" that shouldn't be in team in my opinion - Heskey, Lampard and Ferdinand.

From an outsider looking in (from Scotland :P ) I don't see why the English media are desperate to get Owen in the squad. I know he is a favourite with them but surely England have much better options? Might just be me but every game I have watched him in (mostly for Newcastle at the end of last season and a couple this season) the commentary team are quoted with "Owen only needs one chance" just in time for him to miss a couple of sitters followed by "You would have put your mortgage on him scoring there!". Erm, no I wouldn't because you said that the last couple of games and he missed!

Fair enough he scored a hat trick last night but if I were English I would want Rooney, Crouch, Bent & Defoe in the squad. I think all of these are more likely to pop up with a goal before Owen.

Also confused at why England need to play both Gerrard and Lampard, it’s as if they both need to be accommodated in the team. If I were in charge I would play Gerrard through the middle as I think he is the better player.

But... since I am Scottish so therefore hoping you lose I hope you call up Zamora! :P

From an outsider looking in (from Scotland :P ) I don't see why the English media are desperate to get Owen in the squad. I know he is a favourite with them but surely England have much better options?

I agree! If i'm honest, i've always thought he's massively over-rated. His game has always been about pace - he's never been the greatest finisher. Once those legs go, he'll be nothing more than average. He's one of those players that goes ages without scoring, then he'll get a hat-trick, score again a week later, the again a week after that - and then everyone will rave on about how good he is - and then he'll do bugger all for 3 months again.

I remember when he was an England "favourite" - he hadn't scored for England for almost a year, yet he was always first choice because managers said he was "world class". A player is only world class when he's on-form, fit and scoring regularly. Own was off-form, not scoring, and rarely fit - but he was still supposedly "world class".

England have always picked players on past reputation, favouritism or because they playing for a "fashionable" club rather than form - and its really frustrating.

Archived