Swans divorce

Quadrant

I saw a whole group of swans land on a waterlogged field near to where I work, so I enjoyed reading about this. How strange!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/8477351.stm

Btw does anyone know if its true that it's a criminal offence to kill a swan because they are "Queen's property"?? I'm sure I read it somewhere...

Some one near my sisters home shot a swan, it was part of a pair and the other swan got very depressed, we called the RSPCA who rather than taking the swan to a swan sanctury decided to bring another swan in, who then met the same end.

f****** RSPCA do my head in. I've not had a good experience with them YET!

Anyway, Quadders, I think it is illegal to EAT swan. Probably you shouldn't kill them nor any other animal unless you need too. IMO anyway!

Here we go:

"As native wild birds, swans are protected by law. It is illegal to capture, injure, or kill them, or to damage their nests or eggs. [...] In fact swans were such valuable commodities that by the end of the Middle Ages they were being marked as belonging to the Church or noblemen by special nicks carved onto their bills or feet. These identifying marks were registered with the Crown under the supervision of the Royal Swan Master, and all unmarked birds were considered property of the monarch. It was illegal to kill a ‘royal’ bird, and this may well have saved the species from being hunted to extinction in Britain. Swans are no longer kept for food, but in England the Crown still has an official Swan Keeper and the ancient ceremony of swan-upping, when swans on the Thames are rounded up for identification by the Crown, still takes place on the Monday of the third week in July. "

Source: http://www.swan-trust.org/mute_swan.htm

God Save The Queen.

UK_Royal_Coat_of_Arms.png

:)

Archived