fuel prices

Moonman

so, like, what the f*** is going on with fuel prices? It's an absolute disgrace...only two months ago round this neck of the wood it was £1.09p a litre for petrol and £1.12 for a litre for diesel. Now its jumped up to £1.19p for both! :blink: Worse still, 9 years ago when i passd my test it was about 75p a litre!!!

What seems most bizarre though, is there is no uproar to this price hike? i remember when the fuel strikes tok place, that did the trick to some degree and the powers that be started to panic because the strikes probably affected them aswell...funny that isnt it.

I wouldnt say i'm totally dependant on my car, but i do live on the edge of the city, and i need the car to get to work, its now costing me a friggin fortune. It doesnt help that i work unsociable shifts when public transport isnt running either. I'd like to know how much of that £1.19p is tax, this has to be the handywork of Gordon "f******" Brown and his henchmen. If they want to tax something heavily, then do it to a. Smokers (sorry those that do, its your choice but its us that foot the bill when the ol' throat/lung cancer kicks in), b. Booze (yes it pains me to say it, but think of the cut in binge drinking, and subsequent freeing up of resources for hospitals and police for those who REALLY need them). I can see why they rape the motorist, its got to be the easiest touch out of the lot because most people these days are dependant on cars. I have never voted before cos i cant stand politics or politicians, but i AM going to use my vote this time, and it wont be labour...

Im rambling on now, but i needed to get this off my chest, but how much is fuel round your way?

I'd like to know how much of that £1.19p is tax

73% according to something I read a few weeks back.

I complete agree. I used to be able to fill my tank on £38 - now its costing me around £52. I put £200 a month in my car now - crippling!

The goverment are raping the motorist, but they seem to forget that it has a knock-on effect in other areas too. Food costs more because it costs them more to deliver it to the supermarkets, etc.

Unfortunately, things won't get any better under the Conservatives because thye've got to repair the damage that Labour have caused. They'll have to put taxes up, and then people will probbaly vote them out after 4 years for doing that and branding them "the same old tories" - and then we'll probably end up with Labour back in again.

Instead of raping the motorist, perhaps they should cut back on all the pen pushers within the government, NHS, etc. Everything run by the goverment has too many chiefs and not enough indians - and instead of cutting those down, they carry on as normal and penalise us instead.

but hey, isnt that why we pay road tax? they're quick to take your money off you or straight on your back when you dont pay up, but as soon as the roads are in a bad state it takes ages before anything is done about it. OR is it that all the money we pay on road tax get used up paying middle management extortionate wages for doing little more than pen pushing?

but hey, isnt that why we pay road tax? they're quick to take your money off you or straight on your back when you dont pay up, but as soon as the roads are in a bad state it takes ages before anything is done about it. OR is it that all the money we pay on road tax get used up paying middle management extortionate wages for doing little more than pen pushing?

Have you seen how much of the road tax money actually goes towards the roads? Can't remember the exact amount, but its something like 20%. Yet again, the rest goes to the government.

I think they may have done - but they can't now simply because of the mess the current idiots have left us in.

I don't think they would ever have reduced fuel tax as it's such a big earner for any government and money for doing nothing. It was also the Conservatives who introduced the current system of fuel taxation in 1993.

Cameron talks a good populist game.

Sigh, do ya know, I was seriously considering the prospect of voting Tory and then Michael Caine (Whom I actually do like) came out in support of a new idea of theirs, where 16 - 20 olds take part in a community service thing. To stop them getting into trouble and drugs and gangs etc. Then I see that it was VOLUNTARY, well FFS, the ones who are gonna take part in anything like that voluntarily arent the ones who need to be doing it. When I thought it was like national service, I was up for that, but FFS do any Tories know what it's like in the real world, not for rich people I mean MY world, where life is a bit of a stuggle, a struggle thanx to THEM I might add and their previous reigns in Goverment.

PAH!!

They are ALL wankers. :rubbish:

RE: Topic though,

:confused: Tax on petrol has always been around that percentage anyway hasn't it? For as long as I've known about it, it has.