Ipod Help

milkybarkid

Please can any of you sexy, sexy people of JJA help me.

My friend gave me his ipod to put music onto for him, preferably stuff off my own ipod. It seems he has already set up his ipod on a different computer, and as such, my itunes wont play ball with his at all. It recognises his ipod, synchs it, then tells me to eject it. I can't do any editing on it at all. Is there any way round this, besides downloading a heap of stuff and putting it on itunes and let it synch? I found a program that lets me swap from ipod to ipod, but it wont work as my friend's one doesn't get recognised.

I'm also a bit of a fool when it comes to this stuff, and am fully aware that it may be as simple as shaking my fist angrily at the screen, although this hasn't worked so far.

Thanks in advance.

Please can any of you sexy, sexy people of JJA help me.

My friend gave me his ipod to put music onto for him, preferably stuff off my own ipod. It seems he has already set up his ipod on a different computer, and as such, my itunes wont play ball with his at all. It recognises his ipod, synchs it, then tells me to eject it. I can't do any editing on it at all. Is there any way round this, besides downloading a heap of stuff and putting it on itunes and let it synch? I found a program that lets me swap from ipod to ipod, but it wont work as my friend's one doesn't get recognised.

I'm also a bit of a fool when it comes to this stuff, and am fully aware that it may be as simple as shaking my fist angrily at the screen, although this hasn't worked so far.

Thanks in advance.

The thing about iPods and iTunes is that one iPod can only be registered (synched) with one computer at a time.

This means that if you want to put music on your friends ipod, you will have to delete all the current music on it and transfer your files.

When your friend get his ipod back and connects it to his own computer, itunes will complain again that the ipod is not registered with his itunes, and that he needs to delete everything on it to be able to put his own music on it.

It's annoying like hell, but that's how it is. I've seen ads for software that should enable you to synch an ipod to more than one computer, but i don't know if they work.

The thing about iPods and iTunes is that one iPod can only be registered (synched) with one computer at a time.

This means that if you want to put music on your friends ipod, you will have to delete all the current music on it and transfer your files.

When your friend get his ipod back and connects it to his own computer, itunes will complain again that the ipod is not registered with his itunes, and that he needs to delete everything on it to be able to put his own music on it.

It's annoying like hell, but that's how it is. I've seen ads for software that should enable you to synch an ipod to more than one computer, but i don't know if they work.

Thanks Fuzzy. It's pretty much as I thought. Hopeless. Problem is, it wont even let me access his ipod to delete the stuff on it, it just synchs automatically. I knew Apple were very tight on copyright stuff, thought I'd chance my arm and see if there was any hope.

This whole saga has opened my eyes as to how Apple/Ipods work though. I've had mine now for three years, gathering up a collection thats been slowly building up to close to everything I've wanted. Thanks it must be said, in large parts to this site. Only now is it dawning on me that when my ipod starts acting up, unless I've everything stored on my computer, it's lost. Even if I knew that, it's the second computer I've used my ipod on, the other one's long gone, so I'd still lose half my stuff.

yeah, it's very closed in that sense.

I first synched my ipod to my PC workstation, but after some months, my Windows installation acted up and i reinstalled Windows without knowing I now couldn't acess the files on my ipod.

The next mp3player i buy will probably be a non-apple, unless they open up their hardware & software more.

I'd like to see someone make a mp3 player with an alternate OS like Googles Android or something else more open.

this is why i prefer the Creative mp3 players. I've got a Zen Touch x-fi2. Yes the touch screen is nowhere near as good as apples etc, but it does exactly what i want it to do and Creative Centrale is waaaaaay better than iTunes for organising music. I've never liked iTunes.

To be fair to Apple, you can understand why they have the restrictions in place, but it's for this very reason that I don't have an iPod or use iTunes. My brief experience with iTunes also showed me it has a tendency to store the actual mp3s it was linking to in some very obscure (unlabelled) folders, especially when ripping from a CD - which wasn't helpful later on.

It's also the reason I convert every single music format I have to mp3 (being careful about lossy transcoding), because I know they will forever play happily on every device and by every player both now and in the future. :)

I have to say, I bloody love my iPod. I think it's the greatest thing ever. The sound that comes out of it is amazing. I use my laptop for my iTouch, and I can also plug in and do stuff to my daughters Nano.

I have had nothing but shit experiences with all other makes of MP3 player, a few my daughter owned and the rest I work with and primarily refund and bloody exchange. For the money you'd pay for a fairly good MP3 player, you really may aswell buy an iPod. :)

There is some software you can get btw sorry, I don't have it, nor remember it's name but it's something like Pod share, it's probably not OFFICIAL though but I believe it enables you to do what it is you want to do.

Or as your friends iPod is synced to his PC, can't you reset it the Pod, sync it to yours, then when he takes it back to his, it will just add that stuff to his iTunes. (sorry if that doesn't make sense, I know what I mean. x)

I ripped alot of my CD's to my iTunes, only had a small problem of having to name and label some very old ones, tracklists etc, but I soon got used to how it needed them and where it was gonna put them. Some downloads people send me, I put straight on my Pod, they could be hard to find, but like I say I soon got used to that too, and label properly now before I sync.

Yeah I've done that No2Fan. The problem is, it wont let me even browse through his Ipod. Everytime I plug it in, it synchs automatically, then tells me its finished and to take it out. I can't do jack with it. I've found a program that lets you transfer stuff ipod to ipod, but because the other ipods not taking to my computer right, it doesn't show up on that program. It'll bloody show up in the bin very soon.

What iPod is it? How many gb's?

So when it sync's to yours, what is actually on his ipod? Your music, or his original stuff? Is his iPod already full?

It's the wee 8gb one. Now it's just got the stuff from my library which isn't a lot.He told me not to worry about what was originally on it as he didn't want it. It wasn't full no, very little on it. Thats all gone. I've given up now. I'll just have to download a few things and put them on my library and let it synch. It's about all I can do.

Archived