Iceland volcanic eruption

Moonman

so its causing epic problems at the airports, and the knock on effect of this is substantial, but some of the pictures of the eyjafjallajokull volcano are immense...it's just mother nature reminding us that we really are insignificant...;

_47662335_009130359-1.jpg

_47649843_iceland_volcano.jpg

_47655387_rtr2cuwi.jpg

_47649497_1000bm_ash_fgh06371_10.jpg

I was not impressed when my flight to Amsterdam was cancelled on Friday morning. But we managed to re-jig & hit Newquay for the weekend instead, had an awesome time & thankfully the weather was wicked.

Totally agree on the 'insignificant' comment though, it's amazing at how putrid our powers are when compared to that of the earth itself

I saw a documentary today (which admittedly was a bit cheesy as the American producers hammed up the 'reconstruction' bits waaaay too much) about the BA Flight 9 in the 1980s which flew right though a volcano cloud.

At the time nobody knew the effects of the ash - it basically choked all 4 engines and they couldn't restart them - it was only by gliding through cold air once they shut down that the ash happened to cool enough in the clogged engines to flake off and allow the engines to splutter to life again. Dodgerama! :confused:

I was not impressed when my flight to Amsterdam was cancelled on Friday morning. But we managed to re-jig & hit Newquay for the weekend instead, had an awesome time & thankfully the weather was wicked.

Totally agree on the 'insignificant' comment though, it's amazing at how putrid our powers are when compared to that of the earth itself

Where did go in Newquay (clubs) ? Glad you had a great time in Newquay Tom, can't beat it when the weather is good!

I went on a coastal walk from Lelant to St Ives , the sun was out, the sea was crystal clear and the views were stunning! :)