mixing

jaylo

just wanted to no if other people have the same problem.

i find wen i havnt been mixing with cd's in a long time i find it hard to get back in and pull of some gud mixes and if you change your speakers around do u find it hard to get used to the sound

personally I now find it harder to pull off good mixes on vinyl if I've not had a vinyl mix for a while. I find CD mixing easier to get tracks "locked" in time because they perfectly hold pitch unlike a turntable where various factors can cause slight fluctuations all the time of the pitch of the record playing - therefore you constantly need to tweak the pitch to keep certain tracks in time.

changing the position of speakers, moving them into a different room or changing the speakers for different ones will all obviously change the sound from what you are used to. I used to have some smallish mission speakers which sounds great in a small bedroom. When I took them to uni my room there was around 3 times as big as at home and my speakers in there sounded pants because the room was too big to support any low frequency reinforcement. There was pretty much no bass at all.

I find CDJs harder to mix on. The main reason being, they're too sensitive and i dont like the +- 10%. I learned on 8% pitch and know it. I also prefer to "ride" the pitch when mixing. Meaning i got used to moving the pitch slightly when mixing, with CDJ's its nearly impossible to ride the pitch due to the level of sensitivity. I also find CDJs drift after a while, and its harder to get the mix locked again by "riding" the pitch - this is why i use Serato with technics...best of both worlds. Also with Serato, you dont have to worry about tracks skipping in "Relative" mode, yet get all the features and more, of a CDJ.

Pitch riding lends itself well to new environments aswell, like the aforementioned speakers. I dont really hav a problem with different speakers or bigger rooms, just if a booth hasnt got a set of technics in...then i start to worry!

I find CDJs harder to mix on. The main reason being, they're too sensitive and i dont like the +- 10%. I learned on 8% pitch and know it. I also prefer to "ride" the pitch when mixing. Meaning i got used to moving the pitch slightly when mixing, with CDJ's its nearly impossible to ride the pitch due to the level of sensitivity. I also find CDJs drift after a while, and its harder to get the mix locked again by "riding" the pitch - this is why i use Serato with technics...best of both worlds. Also with Serato, you dont have to worry about tracks skipping in "Relative" mode, yet get all the features and more, of a CDJ.

Pitch riding lends itself well to new environments aswell, like the aforementioned speakers. I dont really hav a problem with different speakers or bigger rooms, just if a booth hasnt got a set of technics in...then i start to worry!

wot is serato like is it easy to use,im thinking bout trying something else out a change from ableton has anybody got any ideas except virtual dj :rubbish:

CD's make things easier, you can choose your cue point and go from there rather than having to release a vinyl at the right point, I dunno really, I started off using vinyl but now due to downloading everything am all CD's so when I go back to vinyl occasionally it does feel different.

I'm a briggsy doing everything in headphones so cant say owtabout speakers so...

wot is serato like is it easy to use,im thinking bout trying something else out a change from ableton has anybody got any ideas except virtual dj :rubbish:

very easy. It has quite a large processor footprint so you need a good processor, whereas Traktor likes a lot of RAM. I use Serato when i play out now, and am finding that more an more places have got the SL1 soundcard already installed, so its a matter of turning up, plugging in your laptop and away you go.

As for mixing, there is literally no difference to cd's/vinyl whichever you use to control it. Its amazing, i dont think i could go back to vinyl/cd's only now. Serato doesnt do any beatmatching for you, you still do all that, it literally allows you to play mp3s using technics/cdj's to control everything. You can loop, scratch and record on the fly into it and playback instantly. Instant doubles, full detailed waveform, and now with version 2.0, effects are being added.

As for the checking emails thing, err no i dont, and as for the old "tsk tsk yeah but laptops crash", well i've never had this yet either, and i'm yet to see any laptop dj crash yet.

very easy. It has quite a large processor footprint so you need a good processor, whereas Traktor likes a lot of RAM. I use Serato when i play out now, and am finding that more an more places have got the SL1 soundcard already installed, so its a matter of turning up, plugging in your laptop and away you go.

As for mixing, there is literally no difference to cd's/vinyl whichever you use to control it. Its amazing, i dont think i could go back to vinyl/cd's only now. Serato doesnt do any beatmatching for you, you still do all that, it literally allows you to play mp3s using technics/cdj's to control everything. You can loop, scratch and record on the fly into it and playback instantly. Instant doubles, full detailed waveform, and now with version 2.0, effects are being added.

As for the checking emails thing, err no i dont, and as for the old "tsk tsk yeah but laptops crash", well i've never had this yet either, and i'm yet to see any laptop dj crash yet.

i have a mate who started using tracktor he was in the middle of a radio show wen the whole thing crashed on him :angry:

but in saying that he needed to clear up a lot of space on his laptop so much stuff on it that u dont need ,that will happen on u then

I'd go for Traktor... with enough RAM it's rock solid.

I've seen PvD's Serato+Ableton+midi controllers & keyboard crash twice(!) in a live set when he guested Copenhagen back in 2005. I'm sure those kinks are ironed out now, but that was pretty embarrassing to witness.

I think it's CD's coupled with the no de facto digital production of tunes.

The CDs certainly lock the tunes and hold the BPM, but I think that's down to the BPM of the track almost holding since they've been produced using software and just stored of a digital file. Also think that when tunes were pressed they naturally incur a slight tempo shift.

Always used to find that when mixing with vinyl especially with outro's, the tune would always speed up due to a lesser resistance on the record :rolleyes:

Tonight on DJ EZ's show on Kiss FM (which i now listen to instead of Jules!) his Traktor Scratch crashed! he then played some CD's whilst rebooting Traktor....then the CD got stuck in the CDJs, making that horrible skipping noise. Proof if it were ever needed, that nothing is really more stable than the other.

Archived