An old summer (vinyl) mix...

Aza

Lately I've been reminiscing not just over classic tunes from the era's we so often talk about on here, but also over my Technics and turntable mixing.

I came across one of first ever mix demo compilations - something that I put together for a summer session - which isn't even up on my website and have especially uploaded for you guys to check out and enjoy!

I recall for the first time thinking about how to structure sets - how to build them up using what tunes are in my box. I also recall hours of practice - coming straight home from school and just jumping on the decks! Looking back, I would've used the Marco V remix of Lovin' You, but the Apollo mix offers a bit more pump around beats and for mixing with. I also decided to throw Blank & Jones in right at the end, which wasn't planned! Here is the tracklisting - if you can check it out I'd love to hear your thoughts and for us to discuss the tunes:

01. Rockik - Memories (Michael Woods Remix) [serious]

02. Klea - Tic Toc (Tiesto Remix) [White Label]

03. Tomcraft - Loneliness (Klub Mix) [Captivating]

04. DT8 - Destination (Jurgen Vries Remix) [FFRR]

05. Flesh & Bones - I Love You (Minimalistix Remix) [Multiply]

06. Marc Et Claude - Lovin' You (Apollo Remix) [Positiva]

07. Plummet - Damaged (Antillas Remix) [Motivo]

08. Solar Stone - Seven Citites (Armin Van Buuren Remix) [Lost Language]

09. 3 Fingers - Frozen February [White Label]

10. Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun (Tiesto Remix) [Perfecto]

11. Beat Pusher - Murto [Good:As]

12. Art Of Trance - Madagascar (Domi Nation Remix) [Platipus]

13. Blank & Jones - DJ's Fans & Freaks (Cosmic Gate Remix) [incentive]

Total Time: 75:30 | File Size: 103 Mb

download.png To download this mix, Right Click > Save Target As...

I've also put together a cue sheet for those who want to burn this to CD.

How I still love Plummet Damanged, 7 Cities, Southern Sun and Murto - oh memory :)

Edited by Aza

I like this concept of a mix of old tunes which was mixed at the time they were new. I also came accross one of the first digitally recorded sets I did in 2005 recently. Prior to that I had been recording mixes on tape since 1999. Sadly not many of those have survived as it would be interesting to check them out.

I'm downloading this one anyway sir. I still tend to mix all my classics mixes on vinyl as there is just something about it which will never be replaced for me by all this digital mixing. Nowadays I use Traktor Scratch with CDJ's but it all just feels a bit easy in a way. There was certainly more skill involved in mixing tightly on decks and I still love the challenge of doing so with my record collection. Thanks for the share Aza, I will endeavour to give some feedback soon.

Prior to that I had been recording mixes on tape since 1999. Sadly not many of those have survived as it would be interesting to check them out.

You just resurrected an old memory! Yes, I too remember doing that actually! I remember now that this was one of the first mixes I recorded digitally too as I just had a desktop computer bought for me! I was also experimenting with how to use a computer to actually record.

I used to learn from my mistakes in mixing by recording on tape and then as tape car players were pretty much the normal, listen back to them and learn both the tunes and how the mixes sounded!

Thanks Aza, some of my favourites in this mix so will be downloading this one. :thumbsup:

Thanks both for the interest and would love to hear your thoughts and comments! Hope you enjoy... :)

Fantastic mix this :)

Just out of interest, does anyone know why they changed the vocal on Loneliness? The vocal on the Kosmo release was fantastic, but then they changed the singer for all other releases & it sounds awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMeT3ir71k - Compare this (Kosmo release) to the others. It's so much better.

I'm not knocking the mix by the way, I'm just having a rant.