External hardrive help please?

Number2Fan

I recently put a new external hardrive on my laptop, I think all my music is on there now, but now iTunes on my laptop says it's empty (worrying) but worse than that whenever the hardrive is switched on nothing in the house can connect to the wireless router??? I can't understand why, but as soon as I turn the H/ drive off again the Internet connection for everything is fine again.

Anyone know what I should do or shouldn't have done?

I should add that even the pc and lappie can't connect when plugged into the router in the non wifi fashion?

Is this external drive physically connected to your laptop or does it wireless interact with your laptop? From memory, go into your itunes, right click on a listed track and select properties... somewhere in there it shows the file path where it thinks the track is. If you physically move your music files around (e.g. onto a new hard drive), iTunes doesn't know this and will still look in the old location.

iTunes is awful - it converts your mp3s to random formats like AAC or poor defaults like 128k mp3s unless you know what you're doing, and it hides all your music in folders. Avoid!

Surely you know where your actual mp3s are though, especially if you say you've moved them?

iTunes is terrible - all it does is serves as a list of links to your mp3s, even when you might have all your music scattered all over your hard drive in random folders.A nightmare when you want to collate and move your music collection.

Isn't there a function on itunes to "search drive" for mp3s? I'm probably not helping much here, sorry!!

iTunes is terrible - all it does is serves as a list of links to your mp3s, even when you might have all your music scattered all over your hard drive in random folders.A nightmare when you want to collate and move your music collection.

I agree the default settings in iTunes do some pretty annoying things. However, if you know how to use it it's all good. I use it and all my files are MP3 unless purchased from the iTunes store. Even then pretty much anything can be converted to MP3 within iTunes if you wish to do so. I don't let iTunes manage my music folders - that would be a terrible mistake. Also it wasn't too hard to adjust the settings for importing CDs - my default setting now is to rip to MP3 at 320 kbps. Was pretty easy to setup and now just does its thing. I do like the iTunes store as well. Apple are very clever at making their products and software all work superbly together. I guess iTunes is pretty useless when using a non-apple MP3 player though.

Archived