Eddie Gordon

JasonB

Very interesting. It's mad when I read parts about running the label, the similarities between the tunes and football transfers stand out for me. Heading over to Holland to make sure and secure a deal on 'The Shrink' I think it was, making sure you got a certain tune as part of an agreement. They probably sat and watched tunes that they could have signed go on and do massive things when they didn't take the punt.

I never knew Jules had such a big part to play with Manifesto either.

It's like as mentioned by Jules in the 1st issue of Ministry Mag in his interview along with Tong, Manifesto could've had Ultra Nate - Free, they told them to change something, Ultra and co said no so AM:PM ended up having it, im sure Jules has mentioned he signed Da Hool among some others other the years.

Equal to Eddie's Shrink signing is Tongs similair signing of out of the blue (quoted from discogs):

Ferry finished ‘Out Of The Blue’ already at the end of 1998. Because Ferry released some other tracks on ‘Tsunami’, a label of Dutch record company Purple Eye, he already had contact with Tsunami’s A&R manager Maykel Piron (nowadays managing director of the ‘Armada’ label). After listening to the track, Maykel signed the track immediately! The official vinyl release was in March 1999 on the ‘Tsunami’ label (cat.nr. TSU 6008).

Before the official retail release, some very limited one sided promo vinyls were send to a few selected DJ’s. The only information that was available on each vinyl was a white label with a stamped mobile phone number and the text ‘Out Of The Blue’. On the sleeve there was a hand written text with ‘Something to blow your brains out’. Furthermore a sort of a ransom letter was included with the vinyl as well. The catalognumbers of all promo vinyls were cut out with a knife, so people could not trace from which record company and label this mysterious release was.

One of the DJ’s that received a white label was Nick Warren (known from ‘Way Out West’). After listening to the vinyl he phoned ‘Hooj Choons’ and told them about the track. So their A&R manager dialed the mobile number (that was on the sleeve) and they gave an offer for the track. Keep in mind that he only heard a bit of the track through a phone! A bit later Pete Tong (of Essential Recorings, a sublabel of London Records) also was on the phone and he also gave an offer. Both labels started bidding up against each other. At one point Pete Tong said: “I’m going to fly to Amsterdam now, so come to the airport, I want to close the deal overthere”. So shortly after that Ferry and his manager drove to Schiphol. They met Pete Tong, they closed the deal at the airport and some time later Pete Tong flew back to the UK…

Archived