Online Shopping

bigsteve

Despite being off work, I've done nearly all my Christmas shopping online this year. Firstly its easier, and I've saved a fortune. Wanted to get the 1st Series of Spooks, which HMV in town were selling for £16.99 - not bad for a 3 DVD box set. Until I saw it on Amazon for £10.97, delivered (using Amazon Jersey).

Similarly, PS2 games are substantially cheaper online. Now this isn't really news, but how much longer are high street shops going to keep getting beaten on price, before they go out of business. Apparently Xmas internet shopping is expected to be up 29% on last year. More and more people are going over to the net, even my Dad is considering it :shock:

Its still good to go into shops and look at stuff, esp books (why don't online stores show a selection of pages :? ), but then go home, order it and let the postie bring it to me 8-)

I agree with the whole "electronic" thing, however you still cannot beat shopping round the high street and looking around etc. Its like the whole artificial intelligence thing, humans would rather talk to humans rather than a machine. If I am after a specific item then I will usually shop online and compare, but for general shopping I enjoy going out (keeps you fit too).

I suppose this topic you could really write an essay on ;)

Ste mate, how much you pay for games online? I cannot find them cheaper than £30 i.e at play.com and amazon. I prefer to buy them from HMV as they as £29.99 and I can use student discount ;)

Aza, I got Larry Leisure Suit off Play.com for £8.99 delivered, whereas in HMV it was £24.99 :?

Chrissie - I realise the shops have more overheads, but thats my point really. How much longer will it be before we see shops closing in town because people just look at stuff there, then go home and buy it online cheaper?

It definitely is a huge topic this. I saw a report a while ago that internet shopping was getting more expensive, but I've not seen a ny evidence of it yet

When l said l shop online it is only for the things that l'm unable to get locally. I buy all my electrical goods from a local independant shop in Penzance. They are brilliant as they will match Currys and Argos prices so you get a good deal and they are really helpful too. They have been around for years because they give a good service. Despite working at Tescos l have my milk delivered by a milkman and my papers delivered by my local shop. If you don't use them you lose them and then all you have left is the big out of town supermarkets and superstores and if you don't have a car your stuck. It is the same all over the country and unfortunately lots of interesting independant shops in small towns are closing because they can't compete.

I wouldn't buy anything expensive off the internet in case it went wrong or was faulty. Also you could be buying stolen goods. I could go on and on..................

Yeah I've never and never will buy electronic goods off t net myself, Dj equipment wise I know the guy whos bene running a disco shop down town for 10 years now, he used to work for Citronic years ago, so I can get anything from him and if anything goes wrong he can get it fixed for me.

I use the internet to get hold of stuff I can't get anywhere else too usually although somretimes it's also convienience too(as in the case of me buying two records out on monday off juno rather than ordering from my local and getting cheaper due to not being arsed! even though its regular for me to spend an hour or so chatting to t staff there every week!).

I suppose it depends on how quick you need something as well. If the kettle broke, I wouldn't want to wait for the postie!

Not used a milkman for years tho! And not seen one in ages either!!

I totally agree about smaller, independant shops losing business to the big chains. Every town centre you go in looks the same as any other. Very difficult to find proper, family-run shops where you can, normally, get very good customer service.

Good old tradition Jacey B, glad you're sticking with them and not taking the easy options online every time! :)

There was something in the paper last week about many electrical companies deliberately arranging their prices - legitimately - so that their high street chains can compete with the online stores in order that they don't go out of business. Thus, finding a bargain online for your new Sony hi-fi will be difficult this Christmas!

There was something in the paper last week about many electrical companies deliberately arranging their prices - legitimately - so that their high street chains can compete with the online stores in order that they don't go out of business. Thus, finding a bargain online for your new Sony hi-fi will be difficult this Christmas!

Sounds like something I caught a bit of too.

Its wrong how prices can be 'fixed' like this. Its only relatively recent that books have been sold at any price. Before then they were all fixed at the Publisher's price

Archived