Storing vinyl

bigsteve

I'm getting to the point now where I struggle to find a tune within my collection. I've got a box of recent stuff, a box of classics (98-2000), a box of all-sorts (house, albums, harder stuff) and then 2 boxes of stuff that are within the last 2 years, but not recent. I think I've got just over 300 records now, but has anybody got a reliable way of storing their records? The worst thing is dj-ing and getting asked for a tune that I know I've got, but just can't find it :( Then when I eventually find it, the moment's gone.

I don't have that much vinyl surprisingly but what I do have must be stored upright with no leaning if you can help it - the amount of people I see with their tunes piled up flat on the floor amazes me, cos with central heating going on/off every day and the weather, it's just the perfect environment for them to warp.

Can't say mine are stored in much order - roughly chronologically I guess - but I always replace them in the same spot so I know exactly where each one is 8-)

Have you not got a couple of nice long shelves? :)

I used to have this desk with shelves, all tunes were stored on there (essentially archived), and I had two gig box's where I kept the most recently played ones. As you continuously update your selection, you push certain ones out as time goes on.

However, it is nice to rummage through old tunage and drop in a few oldies in the middle of your muck around set - always manages to spiece things up a bit :D

When my cdjs arrive (ordered from sapphires, but they are out of stock :(), I have a 240 wallet where I will prob keep most stuff in genre, and get some extra wallets for archiving...

I used to have all mine in record boxes and most of it was stacked upright everywhere. Luckily my grandad made me some wooden storage boxes which live under my decks! He's good at things like that lol! :wink:

Find someone you know to make you something Steve! :P

The problem is not where to store them (I've got 2 proper, metal record boxes and 3 plastic tubs, just the right size), which all fit nicely under my deck stand. The problem I have is finding stuff quickly.

I've got a 'recent' box, a 'classics' box, a house/harder trance/album box and 2 for not-so-recent stuff. (Haven't I said this before :evil: :wink: ).

I can never remember which box the record I want is in. For example, this year's re-releases of Ratty - Sunrise. Classics box or Recent? Probs Recent, but you can bet your money I'd forget this on the night :!:

i have a case with my recent records in, then a box with my older stuff, all my records are arranged in date order, so as i buy new stuff, it goes at the front of the case, however if its old then i find the correct place for it in relation to other records!

ah my bad! I obviously didnt read properly.

Basically I've got tunes I play a lot and classics in bags/boxes.

Then all my new house at one end, more recent trance/hard trance then all my older stuff that I'm never gonna play anymore.

I know wot u mean, I spend a bit of time goin thru them, pull out loads I might play, then there's no issue finding them.

However I've found that I never really forget where I've put stuff, kind of get a mental image! lol

hmm as Bjorn could prob tell you, my CD and vinyl sorting system is pretty all over the place at my uni house - and not much better when i'm in the studio doing my show either! But - i can recognise a CDR by just writing one track on the front of it and i'll know what the other tracks are. It becomes instinct - but I definately need to be less messy and more organized.

However I've found that I never really forget where I've put stuff, kind of get a mental image! lol

That's exactly it, you just 'know' where stuff is, each flick through reminds you of the tunes near it, etc

very true, I went into my room after being away for 4 months and still knew where it all was lol!

Archived