Dutch dream team

Quadrant

Yeh that was it - UK Play was eventually taken over by BBC 3 (it had Little Britain and some other comedies on it before the BBC as I remember).

It wasn't a great show by any means but it was decent viewing - he did one from Denmark/Finland once

Don't remember the show, which is a shame. I did have a video recording of Jules talking about Gatecrasher in that same way though, so maybe it was that.

Nice Burberry bag though. :) lol

I once saw Jules, Tiesto and Armin in one night at the gallery. When they were all GOOD!

It's getting to the point now where you don't even get to see them all at the same festival :o

Global '04 the running order went Armin, Tiesto, PvD, Ferry in that order and one after another.

Would never ever happen these days with the diva-esque demands!

What is interesting is both Armin and Ferry in that video above saying they are "producers first, DJs second" - in that DJing was came as a "bonus", a consequence of producing so much.

I also liked Armin saying he made his remix of IIO - 'Rapture' just "for fun".... that's how it should be! And you can tell it too - it's an 11-minute masterpiece.

Just wouldn't happen today, sadly.

Tbh I wouldn't particularly wanna see them all in a row these days. If at all. Maybe Ferry... But that's all.

Nor would I - you couldn't pay me to see Tiesto in particular.

Just wanted to emphasise how they have gone from being hugely successful DJs to now being this juggernaut of branding/marketting and sales

Tiesto is shit now - he plays pop music at some gigs now. I never liked him even when he was at his peak and playing Trance. I always found his style very dull and boring, and his mixing was very 'loose'. :eek:

PvD is massively over-rated. He's been playing Born Slippy, Binary Finary - 1998 and Camisra - Let Me Show You at the majority of his gigs since 1976. He's very cocky - and disrespectful to other DJs too. The way he treated JOC at Cream in Ibiza last week is nothing short of shocking. I've seen him do a similar thing to another DJ at Global Gathering a few years ago too.

Armin used to be good years ago. These days, he's a "Jack of all trades, master of none". You never know what you're going to get when you seem him play. It'll either be full-on melodic Trance set, or a Tech-Trance set, or a fairly slow plod-along set.

Ferry is the best of the bunch - he tends to do his own thing and plays what he likes rather than supporting "flavour of the month producers" like Armin does. He had a dip around 2004-2008 when he changed to that horrid Electro-Trance 'LEF' sound, which was very dull. Then he got back into 'proper' Trance again - but over the last year or so, he seems to have followed in the footsteps of other DJs by going down the commercial pop-dance route.

On his day, Ferry is superb and is far better than the Tiesto, PvD and Armin - its just a shame that he seems to have phases where he changes his sound and goes really dull. He single-handedly changed the Trance scene in 1999 though - and his productions from 1998-2002 are genius and unbeatable by anyone (Adagio For Strings, Out of The Blue, Madagascar, Don't Be Afraid, Gouryella - Gouryella, etc). Amazing tunes/remixes. By far the best Trance producer ever - so he'll always be a legend in my eyes for that reason.

PvD was untouchable when I first got into clubbing, some of his sets in 2004/5 remain my favourites ever.

Not seen him for a few years though (probably for the best). I think I missed out on Tiesto as I was too young to go see him pre-2003, he started his downard spiral around then and while I did catch him play a couple of decent sets he never hit the highs of Magik 7 when I saw him.

Armin was excellent for a few years but has really lost the plot.

Ferry has always been pretty consistent and I had some wicked nights seeing him even when he was doing the LEF thing

Saw PvD back in the day at Creamfields and it was brilliant, absolutely loved it, great great atmosphere, saw him at Gatecrasher (original one) a month later and he literally played the exact same set, and was miserable as sin behind the decks. Haven't bothered with him since. Decided to keep the Creamfields moment as one of my fave clubbing experiences of all time. I did like him tho, up until about 2002 maybe, do love some of his old productions and Mix CD's :)

Saw PvD back in the day at Creamfields and it was brilliant, absolutely loved it, great great atmosphere, saw him at Gatecrasher (original one) a month later and he literally played the exact same set, and was miserable as sin behind the decks. Haven't bothered with him since. Decided to keep the Creamfields moment as one of my fave clubbing experiences of all time. I did like him tho, up until about 2002 maybe, do love some of his old productions and Mix CD's :)

He's probably still playing that same set now too. White Stripes, 1998 and Born Slippy. Yawwwwwwwn!

You're right about him being as miserable as sin behind the decks too. If DJ Mag started a "Top 100 Miserable DJs Poll", then Adam Sheridan and Paul van Dyk would finish 1st and 2nd every year. At least with some DJs you can tell that they're straight faced because they're concentrating hard (such as Greg Downey or Seb Fontaine) - but with PvD, he looks like he can't be arsed.

As for Armin - I thought he was good until he won the DJ Mag poll for the 2nd time. He was great in 2006 when he was number 3, and he was still decent in 2007 when he was number 1 for the first time - and then the status thing seemed to kick in, the number 1 DJ curse kicked in, and now he's milking it just the same as PvD and Tiesto did too.

Armin has such a grip on the Trance scene now. He has no end of labels that are all part of Armada, and he appears to have a big influence on the DJs that get signed to the Dave Lewis Agency. Its also no coincidence that the DJs that become part of the Dave Lewis roster also then end up becoming Armin's puppets at his ASOT events and tours.

Ferry is the best of the bunch - [although] He had a dip around 2004-2008 when he changed to that horrid Electro-Trance 'LEF' sound, which was very dull. Then he got back into 'proper' Trance again

Agree with this! I never liked this "electro" phase of Ferry. He is a pure Trance producer and you only have to listen to his 2 hour mix sitting in for Jules in 2000 (downloadable on this site of course) to understand his first love. I really enjoyed his set at MOS this year though, showcasing his "once upon a night" stuff, which went right back to the melodic roots (against everyone else), very nice.

PvD is massively over-rated. [...] He's very cocky - and disrespectful to other DJs too. The way he treated JOC at Cream in Ibiza last week is nothing short of shocking. I've seen him do a similar thing to another DJ at Global Gathering a few years ago too.

Please elaborate! I know nothing of this. What did he do exactly??

According to Bryan Kearneys rant on Facebook, Paul van Dyk, allegedly, wouldn't get off the decks (laptop even!) and over-ran his set time and cut into John O'Callaghans set time by half an hour. John O'Callaghan only had 30 minutes left at this point. PvD finally got off the decks, JOC put his CD in, and then PvD came back and started playing...... wait for it..... Binary Finary - 1998 on a keyboard connected to his laptop. By which time, JOC was very pissed off, and apparently smashed out some really hard tunes for 25 minutes to vent his anger

It's weird, I saw PVD in a local club here (Ireland), a couple of years ago, and he never played one anthem. It was a fortune on the door, Paddy's night, and he just played monotonous, techy stuff off a keyboard for the whole night. Everyone was so surprised he wasn't anthem bashing, not even one of his (more famous anyway) tunes iirc. So detatched and aloof looking too. Still crap though. I vowed never again.

This seems to have happened a lot with DJs that have switched to Ableton. PvD in particular went downhill rapidly when he switched. Eddie Halliwell has been poor since he switched too (I've no idea why he felt the need to switch anyway when he was so good with decks and an EFX unit. He rarely scratches now and he seems to have taken a step back). Adam Sheridan was also hyped up something chronic once - and then he switched to Ableton and has almost vanished off the radar.

I think they're trying too hard to incorporate too much - and as a result, they look spend too much time looking at a screen rather than the crowd, there's too much going on musically, and they generally just lose the dancefloor.

Archived