The UK and The Euro

Quadrant

UK & Europe / The Euro  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not a chance!

Especially with the dire straits that the Euro is in presently.

If anything we should be scaling back our involvement with the EU altogether - certainly should not be joining the currency so that we can bail out the Italians when their economy goes tits up in a few months

As Tom said, I think we should scale back our Euro involvement. Possibly even pull out together.

We're getting more and more rights taken from us all the time, we have to let X amount of European immigrants into the country each year helping themselves to our benefits (or if they do actually work, they take our jobs instead), it costs us a fortune to be in, and i'm struggling to see what benefits we get out of it. The government keep saying "We need to be in it because we generate a lot of money from exporting to Europe" - but what exactly are we exporting? We don't make anything here any more because we now buy cheap shit from abroad ourselves. Somehow, I don't think exporting to little Farflungistan with a population of 100,000 is going to be the miracle cure to the UKs financial situation.

(Over-exagerated I know, but you see my point. I'd like to see the pro's and cons from independant experts - not government advisers that tell us what they want to tell us because its of benefit to them).

Stick with the pound, if they take that away then they are taking our identity away with it.

I like this. Spot-on.

I am proud of England.

Proud of our island.

And proud of our currency - and so should you be too.

pound_coin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent many a Euro in my days in Spain and have to say it's no patch on our Sterling in terms of feel and quality. The coins all feel as if they're made on the cheap and the 1- and 2- euro cents in particular don't even feel like metal! The €500 note is also too high as it has become the number 1 choice of currency for criminals wanting to transport huge sums of cash around physically.

The only thing I wish the UK would do is follow Australia and laminate the sterling notes so they last longer. You can't rip up an Aussie note very easily at all, and if it were to go through the washing machine by accident - no worries! Good as new :)

As Tom said, I think we should scale back our Euro involvement. Possibly even pull out together.

We're getting more and more rights taken from us all the time, we have to let X amount of European immigrants into the country each year helping themselves to our benefits (or if they do actually work, they take our jobs instead), it costs us a fortune to be in, and i'm struggling to see what benefits we get out of it. The government keep saying "We need to be in it because we generate a lot of money from exporting to Europe" - but what exactly are we exporting? We don't make anything here any more because we now buy cheap shit from abroad ourselves. Somehow, I don't think exporting to little Farflungistan with a population of 100,000 is going to be the miracle cure to the UKs financial situation.

(Over-exagerated I know, but you see my point. I'd like to see the pro's and cons from independant experts - not government advisers that tell us what they want to tell us because its of benefit to them).

Spot on!

On a positive note - it was announced over the weekend that David Cameron has claimed £30,000 (the maximum available to MPs now for house decorating/refurbishment) to have his bathroom refurbished - so its nice that the nation still has a bit of money to pay for important things like that.

It would be a terrible shame for Mr Cameron to have to sit in a run-down bathroom to take a bath while he's thinking of all those jobless people that are struggling to adjust to the lower amount of Housing Benefit they're receiving this year because he cut it. :rolleyes:

On a positive note - it was announced over the weekend that David Cameron has claimed £30,000 (the maximum available to MPs now for house decorating/refurbishment) to have his bathroom refurbished - so its nice that the nation still has a bit of money to pay for important things like that.

It would be a terrible shame for Mr Cameron to have to sit in a run-down bathroom to take a bath while he's thinking of all those jobless people that are struggling to adjust to the lower amount of Housing Benefit they're receiving this year because he cut it. :rolleyes:

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

He knows that (at current rates) he doesn't have long so he's making sure he gets good decor in his gaff prior to being voted out.

If I was a contractor doing work for the PM and I knew he had a 30k limit even if I was putting a washer on a leaking pipe I'd damn well charge him 30k for it!

I doubt he's going to care

I doubt he's going to care

Thats the problem really. I wouldn't really care less about him spending £30,000 usually - but to do it at a time when he's cutting peoples benefits and cutting back on services, etc stinks. I'm pretty sure it's something that could have waited for a year or two longer.

It must be some refurbishment to come to £30,000 anyway - I could have my bathroom rebuilt (along with a quarter of my house) for £30,000.

I wasn't defending it in any way by the way. It is appauling and it is needlessly decadent.

Politicians don't live in the real world though - look at Vince Cable earlier this week. Despite the huge furore over a minister chucking away confidential papers in a public waste paper bin and the massive grief the MP in question has received what does old Vince go and do, less than two weeks later? You got it! Dispose of high level government papers in a public bin.

They honestly have no idea of how to conduct themselves sometimes, it borders on cluelessness

Politicians don't live in the real world though

This is the biggest problem with the government - they set benefits based on what they feel we can afford to live on, and tell people that "jobs are out there", and all sorts of other things like that - yet they have no experience of being made redundant and facing a year on the dole, they have no experience of having to live on £67.70 per week statutory sick pay (like I am at the moment, and am likely to be for the next 12 months all because of an injury that I picked up at work!), they have no experience of struggling to buy food at over-inflated prices that seem to increase on a monthly basis and no experience of having to save for years just to put a deposit down on even a cheap, basic house - all of the main politicians have businesses, properties and milions of pounds in the bank - so what experience do they have of 'real life'? None whatsoever!

• 2 weeks later...

God save the Queen, the Pound Sterling and our island traditions... we are an island and we are proud of our heritage, however archaic people may think it, it really doesn't matter. I am proud.

I will vote for UKIP.

http://www.ukip.org/page/ukip-history

Archived