JUDGE JULES (BBC RADIO ONE)

Mark Gowdie

Stuart Fraser

Friday January 13th 2006

The Cooler Club @ Mondo, 60 George Street, Oban, Scotland

Doors open at 10pm

Tickets are on sale now from Mondo priced £15

Credit Card sales are available by phone, Tel: 01631 565078

Can't wait for this one! Report & photos will be posted after the night :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the support guys. Thoroughly looking forward to this one. I'm doing the first set from 10 till 11.15 so I'm gonna have to shoot straight down from the radio when i finish and jump straight on the decks. Will be doing a house set to kick things off then Mark will be building things up till Jules comes on.

I'll give you a full report on Saturday including photos, tunes that were played etc.. :D

Well, after a hectic weekend, finally I've managed to get some time to put up a wee report and some pics from Friday night :)

Friday night started off for me doing my weekly radio show from 8 till 10 which put me right in the mood for the night. Once i finished, I shot straight down from the radio to the club and was on first playing from just after ten till 11.15. Played a house set to kick things off and then Promoter/Resident DJ Mark Gowdie took over. We got a text at 11.50 to inform us that the driver who had picked Jules up from Glasgow Airport was just about to arrive in town so I went outside to meet them and we all went up to Mark's flat (which is just a minute from the club) to have a drink and relax until Jules was due on at 12.30. Once I managed how to switch on Mark's TV and digibox, with a bit of help from Jules, we watched the darts and chatted away at the same time.

We then went down to the club just before half 12 and Jules started his set just after we arrived. Mark had played Dero's Illusion as his last track before Jules which was brilliant and Jules kicked off with AJS' new bootleg, 'Breathin Drill'. Jules is a real crowd pleaser and was constantly posing for photos and signing tickets/posters etc..Other tunes that I can remember him playing are:

The Loops & Kicks Bootleg

Richard Duranda - Make Me Scream

Keep Me Running

His remix of Brainbug - Nightmare

Sander Van Doorn's remix of S.O.S.

Marco V - Red Blue Purple

Signalrunners - 3000 Miles Away (I think)

DJ Jose - Stepping Into The Beat

Tomcraft - Da Disco (Again, not sure but I think he did)

BK & Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

DJ Jose - Stepping Into The Beat

And plenty other new tracks and tunes I can't remember. All in all, it was an excellent set. His 2nd last tune was cosmic freefall and then he did one of his trademark 'one more tune' speeches, and finished off with a remix of 'U2 - City Of Blinding Lights'. Sadly, it wasn't as busy as we hoped it would be but we still had enough people to have a great night and the people who were there enjoyed it.

Straight after the club closing at 2am, Jules had to go back down to his hotel at Glasgow airport so I ran him down in my car. I dropped him off about 4am and eventually made it back to Oban just before 6am.

All in all, it was a great night and it was brilliant to meet & speak to Jules which confirmed what those who had met him before had told me that he is a top bloke!

I've put up a photo gallery of the night online. There is still more photos to be added. I shall do that once I receive the CD which is full of them. The link is as follows:

http://www.stuart-fraser.co.uk/judgejules.htm

Good report mate. That list of tunes included quite a few from a while back, but really pleased to see that mix of Blinding Lights being played. It is probs the 4 Strings mix, which I think Dormouse came across and passed it round :? Top tune anyway.

Next time Jules comes your way, I think I'll have to consider coming up and meeting you all. How long a drive is it from Glasgow?

Once I managed how to switch on Mark's TV and digibox, with a bit of help from Jules, we watched the darts and chatted away at the same time.

That's brilliant! So you can be the only one here who can safely claim to have watched darts with Jules. Is he a darts fan? And did you see Klaasen beat Barneveld then?

Great report though mate, thanks for that. I'm certainly with Steve, I'll travel up specially if there's a few people going next time too. Keep us posted :)

That's brilliant! So you can be the only one here who can safely claim to have watched darts with Jules. Is he a darts fan? And did you see Klaasen beat Barneveld then?

He's not really a big darts fan. It was really the only thing to watch on TV on Friday night at that time. We had a good laugh watching it though. I watched the final on Sunday and even got my Gran into watching it. Klassen was on fire!!

It would be great if some of you could come up here. I shall keep you updated :)

From Jules latest diary entry:

On Jan 13th I played in Oban Scotland, which involved flying from London to Glasgow and driving two hours into North West Scotland. On my UK travels I do some of the country’s most scenic journeys, but rarely get to see much in the dark. Almost the entire car journey to Oban was through national parkland, as we traversed mountains, went around Lochs, and saw countless brown tourist information signs.

On two occasions we passed deer at the side of the road. For a city kid, it’s very moving seeing deer in the wild, but it shouldn’t be forgotten just how dangerous it is if your car impacts one. Some years back dj Carl Cox accidentally hit one at speed and wrote off his top of the range Mercedes. He was lucky to come out unscathed.

Most of our journey was made more difficult by torrential rain. Eventually we arrived at the promoter’s flat and spent half an hour watching darts on TV. Ok, I accept it’s not the most glamorous sport, in fact it’s barely a sport, but I forgot how entertaining darts is. Largely because of the incredibly fast mental arithmetic needed as players count down from the starting score of 501.

Mondo in Oban had a smallish very enthusiastic crowd, making the lengthy hills and valleys journey seem worthwhile. Friday’s two hours in either direction from my Glasgow Airport hotel were balanced out by the fact that I knew Saturday night’s gig was only 15 miles from my house in North London

Archived