Recording from Vinyl to PC...please help!

bigsteve

I've done it before loads of times, but its been a year since I recorded from my decks to my PC, and now it won't work. I use CDex version 1.51 and record it in the normal way. All looks fine and the sound is coming through the PC speakers. The file saves fine, but when I go to play the file back, there's no sound at all :? :? :?

Any ideas? (btw, all the volume sliders are up!)

alright mate, have you made sure that you've selected the right source for incoming sound recording?

i.e. that if your decks are going through the line-in, that's selected for the recording source and not the mic for instance?

Because although you can hear it, if your machine is recording from the wrong source you won't hear anything in the saved file?

That's probably it. Most software has a Left/Right meter level so you know whether it's receiving sound or not to record - sound will come through the speakers generally anyway so you can't judge by them really. The meters great as well cos if you keep it from touching the red colours at the top you know you've recorded your stuff at the highest volume without it sounding distorted at the end.

Make sure you've slotted it in the line-in hole on your PC as well, cos going through the microphone one gives much poorer sound! :wink:

If you're really stuck, Nero Burning software has a wave editor bundled in somewhere if you look, and that's got a recording function. Just have an experiment with it one afternoon and it's quite easy to use. Mind you I get a bit too involved with vinyl ripping and won't stop until I've made the best quality recording. If I hear one 'pop' on the vinyl during recording that I know I can remove physically, I start again :roll:

Archived