Transferring from Tape to PC

JasonB

I've a load of essential mixes, well s***loads I wanan chuck on me pc so I can chuck on cd's but cant find a tape player with the right connections for doing so, I've been told to hook the tape player up to my mixer and record the tapes that way, it's just finding a tape player with the right connections.

*Catches breath...*

Anyon help?

Well, I have the equipment here to do it, not that that's much help to you.

I have a Sony hi-fi which plays tapes, and I connect that to my mixer using the headphone output, then my mixer is permanently now connected to my PC, so I'd then use WavePad or an editor / sound recorder like that...

*catches breath*

Hopefully that helps (although probably not).

It's pretty easy if you can link your hi-fi to your PC - simple cable from line OUT on hi-fi (prob red/white male jacks) into your line IN of your PC (prob a simple 3.5" jack, like the small jack you find on headphones).

Then start your tape and record the incoming sound at the right level to your hard drive (if you want simple, small, but powerful software, PM me ;)) - then it's just a case of simply saving it as an mp3 or whatever, and burning to disc - easy!

Cutting out the burn-to-CD part, that's how I've done most of the unknown audio clips for the website :)

Yeqh just make sure you connect them in the right place - following the signal logically, it will go OUT from the tape deck and IN to your PC's soundcard.

Jacey B I'll fix you up with some easy software to let your PC record/edit when I get back this weekend - it's so useful because you can easily record streaming audio too (as long as you turn your MSN sounds off or they'll be recorded too if it's through the stereo mixer :D)

Sortid! my hifi is focling s***, no ouputs and the speaker ports are dodgy as f*** so i has nicked my old hifi off me mum and is using that, phonos coming out of the hifi output!

I am now recording the firts hour of Jules @ seriously slinky 07/07/00.

If yas still after any of the Jules essential mixes I has Tim or anyone ya can have em once I've recorded them and mp3ed em all at 192 quality.

:D

Shall I do a new thread listing all the essential mixes I have if anyones interested?

192kbps Stereo always, even if tape quality is awful - you want to preserve as much as you can!

We all should make known what E-mixes we have, I know our Danish mate Fuzzy-Logic on here has a stack of them hidden away :D

I'm in the process of transferring some of radio 1 dance shows onto mp3 from tape. Its a lenghy process as ive got 100's!! to sort out! I'm moving out soon so dont wanna take them with me.

I have an old ghetto blaster that i use from line out into line in on pc and use with cool edit and edit the beginnings and fade out the end of the tape,

I have hundreds of tapes too and am thinking of transferring them onto MP3. At the moment if l miss one of Jules's radio shows l download it from the "listen again" feature onto tape from my Sony Hi Fi which is connected up to my computer. When l go on a long journey l pick out a few tapes to listen to in the car and so for me tapes are more convienent as l only have a radio cassette in the car. Trouble is there are so many different formats now it is difficult to know which one to go for or to know which one is going to be around for a while. Its an expensive business too as you end up having to buy so much equipment both for in the home and in the car.

I have hundreds of tapes too and am thinking of transferring them onto MP3. At the moment if l miss one of Jules's radio shows l download it from the "listen again" feature onto tape from my Sony Hi Fi which is connected up to my computer. When l go on a long journey l pick out a few tapes to listen to in the car and so for me tapes are more convienent as l only have a radio cassette in the car. Trouble is there are so many different formats now it is difficult to know which one to go for or to know which one is going to be around for a while. Its an expensive business too as you end up having to buy so much equipment both for in the home and in the car.

Yes i have a tape player in my works van and take them into there but apart from there i never listen to them. If you use your car enough mate its worth investing in an mp3 player mate id put one in my works van but i dont think tesco would let me! You can get one in maplin for £60 apparatly.

oh my, am i jalous of you guys with your 100+ tapes of R1 shows!? YEEEEEEES!

anyways, i have some tapes myself & here is how i record them into my pc.

Tape deck with RCA (White & Red) output, hooked into my Soundcard's (Creative Audigy) Line-in port...

at the moment i use Soundforge for recording it into my pc.

I then edit the ends (add fade & cut out any silence) & save it.

...so i can encode it to mp3 format with LAME (preferred mp3 encoder).

i use the "--alt-preset standard" setting, which gives the best possible quality.

just my 5 cents...

Archived