Perry O'Neil, Thomas Datt & Damien James Guest Mixes

Cliffy Burrows

This Tue & Wed will see guest mixes by Perry O'Neil, Thomas Datt & Damien James on www.trancemixers.com starting Tue 3/1/06 10 - 11pm GMT with Damien James. Tune in at 7pm GMT though to hear 3 other extremely talented DJ's. Paul Pearson, Laura May & Andy Rapkins.

I have gave up my show this Wed to make way for 2 greats in the world of Trance, Perry O'Neil & Thomas Datt. From 8 - 10pm GMT I will be playing a guest mix by each starting with an hour from Perry then an hour from Thomas. Before them at 7pm GMT though will be the hugely talented Gazra. So get yourself tuned in.

If you have Winamp click here:

http://69.72.212.213:9015/listen.pls

If you have Windows Media Player click here:

http://www.trancemixers.com/tm.html

Perry O'Neil Biography:

How do you know if someone is really talented when there are so many ways to define it? When it comes to making music and playing DJ-sets judging 'talent' is personal, like everything that has something to do with creativity. If you are an agent or an A&R manager, it takes a good sense of what may be successful to put faith in a talented person. Armada has found its new star. Meet Dutch DJ/producer Perry O' Neil,

Perry O' Neil is a 28 years old Dutch guy. Spontaneous, cheerful and somewhat curious like many people of his age. He is the rising star at Armada, the record company that aims high with Perry. Armada heard O' Neil's first productions in the beginning of 2003 and signed the first tunes a couple of months later to the record division. David Lewis, partner in Armada, got caught by the unique sound in both Perry's productions and DJ sets so he wanted to work with him as a DJ as well. Over the past year Perry has released a variety of records which have been supported by DJ's like Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk, Markus Schulz, Paul Oakenfold, Max Graham, and Ben Lost.

During the past year Perry has performed at various gigs such as Dance Valley, Amnesia and Godskitchen. In the past there were times that he hesitated about the sense of continuing to pursuit a dream that seemed to hard to realize, but then he was always reminded by himself of his undying love for dancemusic. But what is that unique sound Perry O'Neil masters? Perry himself describes it as progressive melodic house. Perry: "It is not really trance the way Tiësto and Armin van Buuren play it. My sound is a mixture of different elements of different styles. I like melodic repeating lines, and you can easily hear the tribal influences in my tracks. I always try to put a certain energy in the track, like a kicking bassline or a break that is full of tension which builds up to a climax. During the break I like to see the audience with its eyes closed, lifting off from the dancefloor, only to return when the climax is there. In general you could say I am fond of progressive melodic house."

Perry, modest as he is, knows that there is a long way to go but there is a lot of confidence in himself as well. Perry: "If you really want to achieve something, you have to give everything you have to chase that dream. Now that I have that opportunity to build on my career in music, I will capture it with both hands." A career both in producing and DJ-ing that is, for Perry likes the both of them equally. "In both I can put al my creativity and to judge on the reactions of the crowd and the people on internet I am getting better in what I do each day. However, I will always keep both feet firmly on the ground."

Being down-to-earth is a quality of character Maykel Piron of Armada appreciates in Perry. No wonder he likes to work with him. Maykel: "Perry has a good ear for music and he is straight forward. Therefore we have asked him to do A&R work for our Electronic Elements label. Whether a demo is sent by a famous producer or a talent, Perry gives his honest opinion. We are glad to have him with us." For Perry himself the most important thing in life is to live it in the most joyful way possible. Perry: "That positive approach of life is something you must have if you want to be a good DJ. No one likes a DJ who has obviously no fun in what he is doing." And Perry certainly shows he is having fun when he is behind the decks. An attitude that, combined with his undeniable talent, may very well make him the next Dutch star.

Thomas Datt Biography:

Thomas Datt has been slowly breaking through to the very forefront of the world’s trance scene for the past 3 years now. From his first remix release to his breakout hit “Alone”, he continues to produce an onslaught of the most emotive music going. He has done remixes for labels such as ASOT, ID&T, Vandit, Bostich and Adjusted, lending them his trademark melodic and banging trance sound.

Ever since Tom was 15 years old he knew he wanted to entertain and express himself in some form of techno. Mid 90s introduced him to all kinds of rave and Euro Dance electronic music as it started evolving into more and more genres. Soon after taking a little sample of each genre, he realized trance was the only thing for him. Highly inspired by the likes of PvD, Ferry Corsten, Matt Darey, and DJ Tiesto, Tom started setting up what would become his relatively basic home studio located in Brooklyn, NY. Spending a massive amount of time, he eventually learned how to use computer software, such as Fruityloops, and worked on his skill to get some kind of a record release. An opportunity knocked on the door when Trance.nu was hosting a remix competition for “Solid Globe – North Pole”. Tom eventually became one of the 6 winners to be awarded the release of the remix on Fundamental. The rest is history…

Tom was always one for quality over quantity and whilst other trance producers belted out one sound-a-like track after another, he focused on creating a catalogue he would still be happy with in 20 years time. First single being “2v2”, was fairly successful. Licensed to Monster Tunes, the Robert Nickson remix became a Tiesto favorite, which ended up on the “Tiesto In Concert 2” dvd. Following the success of “2v2” came "Alone" which was recently featured on PvDs "Politics of Dancing 2" album.

Closeted in Brooklyn, Tom took it upon himself to start taking the next logical step and to learn the art of DJ’ing. Realizing how, in the ever changing world of dance music, DJ’ing goes hand in hand with production. So far Tom has been lucky enough to experience 1015, a great club in San Francisco, which hosts Djs such as Paul van Dyk. Tom enthralled the crowd over with his remixes, originals and exclusive edits as they witnessed his fluid mixing, unique style and highly energetic performance. The show was a huge success and there's more coming on the way.

To this day Tom still resides in NY pumping out song after song awaiting his masterpiece that one day will shock the crowds and take the world by storm. Last is to see his career become that, which is the dream of every DJ out there, to be the best.

Damien James Biography:

22 year old Damien started out by impressing a local radio station 97FM Plymouth sound at the age of 17, and having his mix featured in 2001 on their club 97 dance show. His luck was in, as the presenter of club 97 asked him to do the warm up at his residency at Plymouth’s Millennium Complex. This boost in confidence for a young Damien led to him being resident at Millennium every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. It also brought him on introducing and playing alongside acts & DJ’s such as: Adam White (Euphoria Tour/Darey Products), Brandon Block, Jeremy Healy, Howard Donald (Hed Kandi), The Architects, N-Trance and Kelly Llorena among others.

"I was the resident DJ at the Millennium Complex for 3 years, leaving in 2004”.

"I then entered two DJ competitions, one of which was taking place at Tranzaction in Truro’s L2 super club, and the other being Eyecon’s competition at the Dance Academy in Plymouth, where I am now one of their weekly residents playing house in the funky gallery and trance in the main room alongside some of the biggest current stars of the dance scene, including the likes of: Ferry Corsten, Dave Pearce, Marco V, Ronald Van Gelderen, Above & Beyond, Dogzilla, Eddie Halliwell, Yoji Biomehanika & DJ Scot Project to name but a few….”

Fair enough.

Cliffy Burrows Biography:

His music experience started a long time ago when he first heard Duran Duran as a kid. Not cool we know but he was caught by the electronic sound they captured. From then he started listening to the likes of New Order which still had the electronic sound he loved but less of the pop shine Duran Duran carried with them. It was watching the Hitman and Her one night when a new video from a band he had never heard of before changed things for him. That band was The Happy Mondays and the video was Wrote For Luck. Watching Shaun and Bez going nuts in a nightclub and song itself awe struck him. He couldn't find the song in your average record shop, so he started going to underground record shops and a whole new world opened to him. This is where he discovered 808 State and his love affair with Dance music began. He lived in Glasgow at the time and started going to the Glasgow Hacienda to see Marc Smith. He then started going to Heaven, The Tunnel and The Sub Club. He also went to various Rezurrection's and Fantazia's events. After moving back to England he fell off the scene for a while. However the Trance scene kicked off and he started going to his local club The Sugarshack @ The Empire Theatre, Middlesbrough. He has seen some of the biggest DJ's in the world perform there. Paul Oakenfold, Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto, Judge Jules, Sasha, Digweed Steve Lawler & Paul Van Dyk to name but a few. The club and the DJ's have been an inspiration to him and just over 18 months ago he finally thought "I want to do this" and bought his first decks, a rubbish pair of belt drives. At first he couldn't beat match or mix but kept at it and eventually got the hang of it. After wearing the belt drives out he got himself a decent set up. Having a decent set up to practice with has helped him grow in confidence. His main style is Trance. His sets start of melodic then turn his set into high energy shockwaves. He has played gigs around his home town of Middlesbrough, and has secured residencies on www.trancemixers.com and also Canada's top online Dance Radio Station Nettwerked Radio (http://www.nettwerked.net/radio/) You can also check out his mixes on WaxDJ.com (http://waxdj.com/djs/431/) To add to all this he also creates his own productions under the guise of 'Order To Dance' and has 2 raw albums under his belt. Details of these can be found on http://waxdj.com/djs/431/store.php It's still early days yet and who knows what the future brings. Still learning but still yearning.

Fair enough.

Cliffy Burrows Biography:

His music experience started a long time ago when he first heard Duran Duran as a kid. Not cool we know but he was caught by the electronic sound they captured. From then he started listening to the likes of New Order which still had the electronic sound he loved but less of the pop shine Duran Duran carried with them. It was watching the Hitman and Her one night when a new video from a band he had never heard of before changed things for him. That band was The Happy Mondays and the video was Wrote For Luck. Watching Shaun and Bez going nuts in a nightclub and song itself awe struck him. He couldn't find the song in your average record shop, so he started going to underground record shops and a whole new world opened to him. This is where he discovered 808 State and his love affair with Dance music began. He lived in Glasgow at the time and started going to the Glasgow Hacienda to see Marc Smith. He then started going to Heaven, The Tunnel and The Sub Club. He also went to various Rezurrection's and Fantazia's events. After moving back to England he fell off the scene for a while. However the Trance scene kicked off and he started going to his local club The Sugarshack @ The Empire Theatre, Middlesbrough. He has seen some of the biggest DJ's in the world perform there. Paul Oakenfold, Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto, Judge Jules, Sasha, Digweed Steve Lawler & Paul Van Dyk to name but a few. The club and the DJ's have been an inspiration to him and just over 18 months ago he finally thought "I want to do this" and bought his first decks, a rubbish pair of belt drives. At first he couldn't beat match or mix but kept at it and eventually got the hang of it. After wearing the belt drives out he got himself a decent set up. Having a decent set up to practice with has helped him grow in confidence. His main style is Trance. His sets start of melodic then turn his set into high energy shockwaves. He has played gigs around his home town of Middlesbrough, and has secured residencies on www.trancemixers.com and also Canada's top online Dance Radio Station Nettwerked Radio (http://www.nettwerked.net/radio/) You can also check out his mixes on WaxDJ.com (http://waxdj.com/djs/431/) To add to all this he also creates his own productions under the guise of 'Order To Dance' and has 2 raw albums under his belt. Details of these can be found on http://waxdj.com/djs/431/store.php  It's still early days yet and who knows what the future brings. Still learning but still yearning.

I suppose I asked for that, didn't I :?: :!:

I love listening to new people's radio shows, you find some hidden gems sometimes. However, I don't suppose there is there any chance to listen to some of this again as I currently left the country a little earlier than planned so couldn't tune in. Got a bit confused with the timings of everyone's shows so if you can clarify what's on each week, that'd be good. :thumbsup:

I'd also like to listen to Laura May as well, I had a quick browse on her website and sets sound good. :)

Sorry I don't mean to piss anyone off.... My appologies if I have upset anyone. This site was recommended to me.

Well I recommended it and am pleased I did. I welcome people promoting their stuff; diversity is essential. I've met a lot of the people on here (including Steve!) and they're really a friendly bunch. He's probably checking out the site now :D

Do stick around mate and keep us updated in good time on who's playing when. :thumbsup:

I liked this, it was excellent.

Both Perry O'Neill and Thomas Datt's mixes were good - I got a lot of paperwork done during it with it on and really enjoyed it (though I preferred Perry's actually in the end).

Also a tracklist would be handy, there's a tune 25 mins into Perry's Mix and a few others I just want to check on. When are the shows usually on, same time every week with guests?

2 quality mixes from 2 quality DJ's. Awesome night and we reached our highest listener peek with them so thanks to all who listened in.

Heres the track listings.

Perry O'Neil:

01. Siberian Son - Dogma (Dj Tarkan Remix)

02. Micah - Cry A river (Movin' Dub)

03. C-Jay & Eelke Kleijn - Daglicht

04. Grab And Bite - I Know You

05. Brisker & Magitman - Other Dye (Perry O'Neil Remix)

06. Damien Heck ft. Stephanie Vezina - Aural Signature (Clubbervision 4by4 Remix)

07. Chris Micali - Schiphol (Santiago Nino Remix)

08. Benz & MD - Underoath (Perry O'Neil Remix)

Thomas Datt:

1. Breeder - Tyrantanic (Thomas Datt rework)

2. Peter Dafnous - From Here To Eternity (Two Roads remix)

3. Deep Voices - Alone Again (Thomas Datt remix)

4. Stenna - Skyline (Arizona remix)

5. Elevation - Ocean Rain (Robert Nickson remix)

6. Fb feat Edun - Who's Knocking (Ferry Corsten Mix)

7. Matt Darey - Eternity (Thomas Datt dub)

8. Lange vs Gareth Emery - This Is New York

9. Thomas Datt - Alone

Massive 1 million line long bulk messages get to me I end up not bothering reading them, if seperated into paragraphs appropriately its easier on the eyse and concentration span I think,

Yeah I agree Jason. If the opening post had have been more structured about who you were, what you were hoping to achieve and that this board had been recommended to you, I'm sure the welcome would have been a lot friendly. Apologies for coming across harsh.

However, that 2nd mix has some belters in it 8-)

Massive 1 million line long bulk messages get to me I end up not bothering reading them, if seperated into paragraphs appropriately its easier on the eyse and concentration span I think,

Yeah I agree Jason. If the opening post had have been more structured about who you were, what you were hoping to achieve and that this board had been recommended to you, I'm sure the welcome would have been a lot friendly. Apologies for coming across harsh.

However, that 2nd mix has some belters in it 8-)

No worries mate. I did come across as a spamming fool. :P

This is a solid board, with fresh info and great sets to download. Although, I should contribute more, hence my posting spree this afternoon (when I should be working), hopefully adding to the 'melange' of amusing threads, I hope. :)

Archived