Coloursfest, Braehead Arena, Glasgow (ish)

bigsteve

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The set times above have been confirmed by a Forum Admin on the Colours board, so they should be spot on, barring flight delays, exceptional weather, etc :lol:

Just noticed that Jules isn't on til 7.30, perhaps a bit of backstage stuff first :?

Can't believe that R1 aren't allowing Jules to start the show at 7.00 "live" from the stage. It really annoys me as it is such a waste of 30 mins out of a 2hr show especially if it is a lovely sunny evening.

Anyway have a fantastic time and don't get too drunk otherwise you won't remember what happened. :lol:

I'm really jealous as l would love to have been there. Will just have to be content with listening to it on the radio and having a few drinks. If it is a nice sunny evening l will take the radio outside and have a dance on the patio and think of you all up there. I'll be there with in spirit (a drop of whisky) :lol: Say hello to Jules for me.

A totally awesome night 8-)

It started with meeting Craig & (hungover) Tim in town and watched the end of England's romping of Jamaica :lol:

Me & Tim headed off to Coloursfest early because I was meeting someone to sell a ticket. Once that was done, we jumped the massive queue because we were guestlisted and were straight in, after going through some hefty police presence. 4 sniffers were working, but 1 of the dogs sat down in front of a girl and barked, but the police did nothing about it :? Whats the point in having sniffers :?

Anyway we got some beer tokens in, £3 each :shock: , and watched Giovanii Ferri and then Eddie came on soon afterwards. Don't remember too much trickery going on, but not a bad early set.

Jules then appeared at the side of the Radio 1 stage and was being mobbed by autograph hunters. We slipped round the side and he recognised Tim instantly and invited us backstage 8-) He'd showed us round the studios and took us behind the decks while Eddie was on.

He was then asked to do a Colours DVD interview and invited us along too. We walked through the crowds with him and he was always keen to sign stuff and have his photo taken. The interview was done by Lisa Littlewood, a local radio DJ here and I think she spins for Hed Kandi too. Whilst this was going on we were chatting away to Luke Neville.

We then went back to Jules studio and he was making a list of tune he definitely wanted to play and asked for suggestions. I asked for Leaving London, which he played later on and I went a bit mad too :lol:

The 30 mins 'Backstage' that went out on air was all pre-recorded and we left Jules just shortly before his set to get a beer in.

He then came on at 7.30 and the atmospehere was amazing. We were on decking next to the River Clyde and the sun shone throughout.

I thought Jules' first set was brilliant and I'm looking forward to hearing it again. Tune of the set was undoubtedly Advanced :thumbsup:

We then caught a bit of Dangerous - he was definitely feeling it :lol: Not bad tunes and nice to see some vinyl still being used.

It was then off to the main arena for Armin and he started quite slow from what I can remember, but remember Selu Vibra - Divine being played 8-) My memory really starts to fade now, but PVD was next and I think I remember Time of our Lives and Dream Makers. Summer Dreams definitely got played.

Jules played the last set but by this time I'd got really knackered and had to go for a chill out side :(

Totally brilliant night, that was topped off by having a decent chat with Jules. btw he said that the UK release of his album will have a DVD with it that would use footage from his gigs, including last night's. He also left his headphones and one of the producers asked Eddie if Jules could borrow his!

When I remember more, I'll let you all know :wink:

Excellent review. Seems like a good night was made better by Jules's hospitality. Thought SVD Radio1 set was wicked.

Makes me laugh when people are mobbing the DJ's. Ok for a photo, but an autograph is a bit daft really. At passion people were getting PVD to sign their belts. He had a pile of them next to his laptop and was signing them in between mixes :? .

Yeah, we were having a good laugh at people wanting all forms of clothing signed :lol:

Missed SVD because he clashed with Jules, it was recorded then played later. I don't know why they do that, just alter the set times for the live broadcast :?

Still no Listen Again available for it :(

Some pics to follow...

Found this PVD set list. My memory is terrible! I hardly remember any of it :(

Paul Van Dyk - Live at Colourfest Glasgow Essential Mix (BBC Radio 1) 04-06-2006

01. Intro ID

02. Marco V - Red Blue Purple

03. Armin van Buuren - Control Freak (Sander van Doorn Remix)

04. Aalto - 5 (Original Mix [Paul van Dyk Edit])

05. ID

06. Factoria - Beneath The Surface

07. ID

08. Ronald van Gelderen - This Way (Rank 1 Remix)

09. ID

10. ID

11. ID

12. ID

13. Guiseppe Ottaviani - Through Your Eyes

14. Kuffdam & Plant - The Ones We Loved

15. Beam feat Michelle Aragon - Silent Tears (Shogs 2 Faces Dub)

16. Kuffdam & Plant - Dream Makers (Shogs 2 Faces Mix)

17. ID

18. Luminary - Wasting (Andy Moor Remix)

19. ID

20. ID

21. ID

22. Terranova & Austin Leeds - Shake Me

23. Camisra - Let Me Show You

24. ID

25. Paul van Dyk - The Other Side (Deep Dish Other Than This Side Mix)

26. Da Hool - Street Life (Azzido Da Bass Remix)

27. The Egg - Walking Away (Tocadisco Remix)

28. Syndica - Orange Sky

29. DK8 - Murder Was The Bass

30. Placebo - Every Me, Every You (Lexy & K-Paul Remix)

31. Emjay - Make Some Noise (Remix?)

32. Paul van Dyk - For An Angel (Marc van Linden Remix)

33. Paul van Dyk - Time Of Our Lives (UK Club Mix)

seems to be digging some older tracks out at the Mo. Played 'Murder Was The Bass' at Passion. Not that its a bad thing  :wink: .

I don't think he ever stopped playin that track mate, he's spun it virtually non-stop since it came out

Lifted from tranceaddict

Radio1 Live at Coloursfest, Glasgow, Scotland.

Judge Jules Live

01. ID

02. ID

03. ID

04. Marcel Woods vs 666 - Monotone D.E.V.I.L.

05. Joshua Ryan v Marcel Woods - Cherry Whip (Mark Eteson Bootleg)

06. Chocolate Puma - Always and Forever (Bart Claessen Mix)

07. DT8 Project - Hold Me

08. Signalrunners - Leaving London

09. Remy & Roland Klinkenberg - Till Ya Drop

10. Abel Ramos - Aquarius (Randy Katana Remix)

11. Smith & Pledger - White

12. Push vs Fred Baker feat. Arome - Hands Up For A Universal Blackout Nation (Bootleg)

13. Mark Norman - Brasilia

14. Judge Jules - Keep Me Running

Sander van Doorn

01. Marcel Woods - Monotone (Original Mix)

02. S.O. Project - Direct Disko (Sander van Doorn Remix)

03. Armin van Buuren - Control Freak (Sander van Doorn Remix)

04. Hardcell & Grindvik - Square

05. Richard Durand - Make Me Scream

06. ID

07. Ronald van Gelderen - This Way (Original Mix)

f***ign awesome report steve mate, thats mint, getting backstage with jules - thats f***ing rediculous mate! Proper proper super cool!!!

Jules is deffo the man - where was craig when all this was kicking off and i want to know if tim got his parched lips wet latero n that night! haha!!

Well, what a night.

This is a long post but I felt it necessary to elaborate on what was a spectacular night (in more ways that one!) and my last with my friends from this board for 12 months before I head off to Spain at the end of the month.

Just to elaborate on Steve's excellent prose above, along with pictures from his cameraphone - which have turned out really well mate!!

I met Craig early, at lunchtime, with a horrendous hangover having gone out for a very large one the night before, after my last Uni exam. Craig had also been out and drinking heavily, and we both knew we'd have to sort ourselves out if we were going to make this evening's events. Cue: Pizza Hut all-you-can-eat buffet with free Pepsi refills... I think I had more Pepsis than slices of pizza, but was definitely feeling more human afterwards, and so headed off to 23rd Precinct to nab some more vinyl from Colin Tevendale's collection, where we quietly bagged a few ultra-rare gems for an absolute bargain. Then we met Steve and went to the Goose pub to catch Peter Crouch missing a penalty but still scoring a hat-trick in the romping of Jamaica. We also met some of Craig's friends there, who looked at least 30 years older than me and as hard as nails. Totally great people though, and we were to meet up with them briefly later that evening. Steve had to sell 1 more ticket since we were both very gratefully guestlisted, so we both left the pub early (I still didn't finish that Guinness) to taxi it there and sell it.

The queue for getting into the Braehead Arena arena was so long that it stretched off into the distance like patient pilgrims in one of those Biblical films, snaking off as far as the eye could see. We strolled to the front, gained entry, where we then lined up like convicts with about a dozen or so other people. I've never ever seen so many police in my life and along with their sniffer dogs, clearly this was a largely visual message that there was no way people were able to take any illegal substances onto the site. Having had a few pints, I was actually nervous even though obviously I had nothing to hide. Once we were in though, the location looked highly organized and we knew there was much to look forward to, even by this early time of 6pm or so...

007.jpg

After Giovanii Ferri, who did a good job, was Eddie Halliwell, who always seems to be constantly laughing, which is great. The crowd was immediately turned on and along with the sun beginning to dim, the atmosphere's touchpaper was beginning to be lit. Whilst Eddie did his stuff, we had a chat with Jules who had just finished pre-recording his 30 mins "backstage" before the 7pm Radio 1 broadcast and, after slating my (admittedly) dubiously-coloured WKD, kindly invited us behind the decks with Eddie:

011.jpg

and here:

015.jpg

before we mingled on the quayside whilst Jules did a quick interview:

012.jpg

During this time, me and Steve got chatting to a great bloke who at first I presumed was some crazy Australian photographer. I pointed out to him the housed up track Eddie was playing at the time of It's Alright, which I thought was by the Pet Shop Boys and had Sterling Void remixes in the late 1980s. He replied "No mate, the original was by Sterling Void. I believe this is the Chris Lake remix." -- it turned out that this 'photographer' was in fact Luke Neville. A very sociable bloke - and Steve had lots to say about Perth and Australia etc, having been there himself. I will look out for him in the future when he's playing out one of his Housier sets.

Then we settled into the BBC lorry with Jules to mull over a skeleton tracklisting and discuss tunage. A few people wandered in, including Fergie who was doing a (good) job of looking like David Beckham, with the aviators. Also at this time, his producers (all women) wandered around being busy, explaining to Jules what was going on, what links were going on and when, what he needed to say at what time... From our perspective, all this extra complication with the pre-recorded 30 minutes that could really have been live, links to do, things to say, things not to say, a Sander van Doorn mix taking up Jules' last half hour which wasn't live and so forth, seemed a little unneccessary. Whilst I've no doubt the overall audio content to the average radio listener was impeccably smooth, it in no way correlated to the atmosphere outside - pleasing the crowd live and pleasing the listener at home simultaneously was thus made doubly more difficult. However, it was a fascinating insight into what goes on behind the scenes - and actually help out with tracklistings at the source. Well we can but try.

016.jpg

Anyway, Jules' outdoor set was excellent and held the tempo with much discipline it being so early... I can't wait to listen again to it later tonight. After a few more beers were consumed things were going nicely.

010.jpg

Dangerous Dave came on with his baseball cap, and the trademark lofted arm / eyes closed stance, which after a few more beers actually became highly amusing whenever he did it. Disappointingly, some of his set was actually very good and tapped into a different, more traditional-sounding trance and with everything relaxed and the sun going down more, everyone was enjoying themselves by the river.

005.jpg

Me and Steve dabbled in the music of the other tents briefly before meeting up with everyone else again for Armin in the main arena who followed Eddie. Craig you look wasted there, couldnt resist putting that photo up! The tables were turned much later though when I became very ill :P (L to R: myself, Craig, Fras)

004.jpg

Eddie preceded Armin and Steve amongst others was not impressed by the amount of tricks Eddie was trying to fit in, though technically it was excellent. However, effects over the last second of his set took up 4-5 minutes of him manipulating the sound in every conceivable way the mixer could manage, which took the piss and I think frustrated every person in the arena until all was forgiven with his brandishing of a huge Scottish flag as Armin arrived.

Sensibly, Armin started afresh and a new, calmer atmosphere was created starting off with Arksun - 'Arisen' which I thoroughly enjoyed.

002.jpg

I think by this time we were lot worse for wear, especially myself when PvD came on, as I do not recollect much of his set at all. I left 3/4 times for fresh air and a TC (Tactical Chunder, that is... though actually one of them definitely wasn't 'tactical' :D), but which Steve seemed to witness every time, and he was quite rightly torn between feeling deeply sorry for me and just laughing his head off.

003.jpg

006.jpg

It was quite hardcore in the end, since each time I finished I was straight back in the Arena, all until by 4am every person was well and truly wrecked.

It was time to go home.

Steve and Craig - I am totally indebted to you both, for a storming year of clubbing. I've appreciated the time, humour, and clubbing experiences shared with you and your friends and I'm going to miss it all during my activities abroad over the next 12 months... I can't thank you enough! Until next time... ;)

what can i say more what steve hasn't said!!???

totally mindblowing awesome sat!!! started off nearly bad for me..was out str8 after work on fri met up with a few pals and kicked off weekend with several cold red stripes!! ended out at a club in glasgow called abc -dont rem too much and got a bus back home to clarkston 10miles or so outta glasgow.. only to fall asleep and wake up in east kilbride a further 15miles!! i was so wasted the bus had stopped at a massive car park i asked bus driver why u ve taken me to the CZECH REPUBLIC!!!!!! i thought i was in f***in prague!!!!!

so got home eventually and about 4am !!! woke up about 11or so and was really was for wear!!!

anyway made my way into town to meed tim and we went to pizza hut..cokes were good!!! then upto 23rd precinct and tim put aside some old vinyls!!!

then to the pub....met steve and it was time for some drink action!! went to a very busy but cheap pub 'the goose' met up with more mates i knew were goin george, peter, martin, john, euan, lisa, michelle all a good laugh and i took an early than normal cheeseburger!!! :lol:

so was ready for coloursfest.. tim and steve went earlier as they had to meet a guy he was sellin a ticket too.. i went later as peter was in my guest list..

half of scotlands police force were at the doors and peter started panicking!!!

got in no worries.. went straight to radio1 outdoor stage and its was awesome, jules was superb btw u have tim and steve to thank for that t/l???!! :D

tunes for me were monotone devil and dt8 hold me!! amazin!!

found out bit later on tim and steve got to meet jules and halliwell !! i was gutted!!!! but jules did say to tim where's craig!!?? mind u everyone says that!!!! :wink:

jules and halliwell held up the saltire which was a nice pic!!!!!

then to main arena... caught the tail end of fergie and then it was halliwell and armin, things were started to get fuzzy then.. so much so steve asked a guy if he 'COULD GET A BLOW OF UR BIG HORN' to this mad clubber and he told to kindly begone with u !!!! :lol:

then started meetin more friends jo, bryan, fraz, nats, fiona, marri, it was amazin to be there!!

pvd set- i can hardly rem much but can of jules set right at end...played a new mix of jamx deleon tomorrow monotone devil, fabio stein trans4, mark norman brasila, simon patterson f16, keep me running, vrantique, electrofun, ajs new one..really good set!!

after all that it was time to head and we kindly got a run back to steves from his other half..

totally wikked weekend and one of the best festivals ever been too!!!!!

need sleep!! :wink:

this is craig hamilton for news at 10, glasgow..

haha craig and tim u menatlists , tim what a sterling repot with pictures it looks unbeatable matey, i am truly envious of u!!

Craig and steve, bring on Global, its gonna be mental! No getting overly f***ed this time craig!

which I thought was by the Pet Shop Boys and had Sterling Void remixes in the late 1980s

Neil Tennant added some extra lyrics in for the PSB's version, which came about after Trevor Horn was after suggestions for a track for a new group he was working with, Neil suggested the track which hed heard on a House comp back then and liked so much himself the PSB's ended up doing it after Neil added extra lyrics to make a fuller song.

Cheers for that info, Jacey B! Gratefully absorbed, good knowledge I can always rely on you guys :thumbsup:

Craig yeah forgot to mention Steve's "horn" comment to that bloke - who was letting other people blow that plastic hooter (which he probably stole anyway) but I think he only took offence at the way in which Steve phrased the question!! highly amusing at the time! :lol:

There were some girls who made a lot of effort in their choice of clothing (which was good) - or choice of non-clothing (which was even better), but first prize for outfit once again goes to some crazy guys we spotted in their white forensic suits wearing DUST MASKS... a bit weird but it's good to laugh at them all the same! 8-)

Great reports Tim & Craig, you seem to have remembered a lot me than me! Remember the girl in the Kill Bill outfit :wink:

Can't believe the last 30 mins of Jules didn't go out on air - that's when he played Advanced :evil:

Glenn, I'll keep checking your site for Jules' set. Has anyone recorded any other sets? I'm desperate to hear as many back as possible!

Tim, good effort getting my photos up, but I thought I sent you an excellent side-on shot of Eddie??? If I did, get it up!

Dangerous re-played some of his set on Dance Anthems last night (thought this would happen as there were Dance Anthems jingles through it):

Dave Pearce Mix - Live from Coloursfest

Underworld - Born Slippy (JBO)

Marcel Woods - Monotone (High Contrast)

Jochen Miller - Chromatic (High Contrast)

Armin Van Buuren - Control Freak (Sander Van Doorn Remix)' (Nebula)

Ferry Corsten - Watch Out (Positiva)

Tiesto - Traffic (Nebula)

Tiesto - Adagio For Strings (Nebula)

As Tim said, not a bad TL 8-)

Archived