Schumacher

bigsteve

Good riddance to him in all honesty.

Everyone is raving about being one of the greatest drivers we've ever seen today because of his announcement yesterday, but I totally disagree.

There's no disputing he's a very good driver, but I wouldn't class him as a great. Great drivers don't need to cheat. When you cheat, you're admitting defeat and that you weren't quite good enough. Remember when he brought Damon Hill's championship hopes to an end in two consecutive seasons by ramming him out of the race? If he hadn't done that, Damon Hill would have won two of those championships - instead, Schumacher "won" them through cheating. Remember when he took Hakkinen out once because he only needed something like 4 points to win the title? Then there's the incident earlier this season too.

Also, if he's really that good, why, when Rubens Barrichello has been in first place in the past, has he been ordered to slow down to let Schumacher win? Again, that is Ferrari "rigging" races for Michael Schumacher to win. F1 is the only sport where teams are allowed to let a driver win. In any other sport, it is called "fixing". What about those punters that have betted on Barrichello to win and lost money due to team orders. If that happened in football, there'd be a criminal investigation. Those races that Rubens should have won were given to Michael - again, great drivers win races on their own - not because their "teammate" has been ordered to let them past.

Also, Schumacher was nobody when Aryton Senna was around. It was only when Senna died that Schumacher made his breakthrough.

Great drivers were people like Jackie Stewart, Nigel Mansell, etc who drove in the days where they had to do the hard work themselves. These days, the best drivers drive the best cars - and the best cars are kitted out with the best semi-automatic gearboxes, gizmo's that prevent the car from wheelspinning at the start, the ost powerful and reliable engines, etc.

No doubt the driver to replace Schumacher will do equally well with all that equipment available in his car.

If Schumacher had won races fair and square, in one of the "average" cars, and didn't rely on dodgy team tactics or ramming people out to win races, then yes, he'd be a great driver, but, i'm afraid my opinion of him is an over-rated arrogant German with a chip on his shoulder because he can't take being beaten fairly.

Good riddance!

I don't think that there should be any doubt that he is a true great, i think there have been occasions when he was criminal for some of his antics and he should be remembered as very controversial aswell.

I think the race he won in Spain a few years ago in the rain was one of the best drives ever by anyone, he was masterful that day. Also with Ayrton Senna Schumacher was a full twenty points clear of anyone when Ayrton unfortunately died, and this was the year when he really made his mark, i think he could have won at least 3 more titles if he had gone to Williams when they were dominating but instead he chose Ferrari, a former great team who were nowhere so that he could build them back up and challenge himself, i think the work he did at Ferrari in restoring them to the status they are now is nothing short of remarkable.

I agree that the allowing him to pass Barrichello on occasion is wrong but i think it very much still goes on, remember when Coulthard let Hakkinen through at the opening round in Australia a few years back?

Teams still do it but they do more underhandedly and with more tact so as not to make it so obvious.

Overall i think the guy is a 'great' but agree that with more tact & nouse he would have been remembered as a much better & cleaner driver than he will be

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure any of you will agree with me but i thought it was a very sad way for the title to be all but decided, I had no real preference on who won this yrs title but i did want some entertainment all the way to the wire, Schumacher blowing up today has virtually gifted the title to Alonso now barring some kind of catastrophe.

Bit of an anti-climactic final race in store in 2 weeks in Brazil

• 2 weeks later...

All eyes on this weekend now. There's the Constructor's Championship to settle too, so hopefully still some entertainment.

Just a thought...if Alonso was to 'accidentally' ram Schumacher off the road, Alonso would be guaranteed the Driver's Championship and it would be a fantastic way to end Schumacher's F1 career 8-)

Archived