Broadband advice, por favor....

Neuro

Ok everyone, you'll be pleased to know I'm thinking seriously of getting broadband here at home "down sowf" because it would enable me to update the the site all year round, plus prevent my aged PC from near-mutilation by myself every time I would like to go on the internet... but I need some advice.

The latest I've seen is:

* NTL - 1MB = £9.99 a month (for 1 year, dunno what they'll charge after that). Any good?

Those of you who are on broadband, please please let me know of what you're paying, and with whom! My 'rents won't be using the net too much when I'm away, which is most of the time, but I'd like to find the best deal out there!

PS Does the company take over your phone bill as well or solely the dedicated broadband connection?

Yes mate go for NTL. Prob not the best around, but one of the cheapest and certainly more reasonable with download limits.

I think it will go up to £18-£20 after the year. Im with NTL 1mb broadband, 3gig download limit - £17.99

PS mate a BIG THANK YOU FOR SORTING THE PAGES ETC. PM'ING YOU NOW.

Will fill the others in once it time for all systems go...... 8) :P:lol::D

Ok I am in the same situation as u rents dont use internet so i have to sort it as they aint got a clue....I have just got a virgin package, half gig connection but it runs on 2.5 mbps, which aint to bad, 3 mb download limit per month although i have done twice as much as that and aint been charged...not sure why? :lol: its £14.99 a month, but here is the best bit, there is no contract so u can stop the brouard band wen ever u want, you just need to call them up 30 days befor u want it cut off....u also get a free modem and fillters which alow u to use the phone whilst on line at the same time.. its easy to install my nan could do it!

...and what about our phone line? It's a bog-standard BT one, and I share that line now with this dial-up internet connection at home...

I didn't think you could share 1 telephone line for broadband AND keep it free for calls...? :? Surely not!

Thats the point of broadband-the filter chnages the one line into two-one for internet and the other for phone.

Your phone bill styas with BT unless you go with Telewest's tv phone and net package.

I've never had any problems with virgin even when I was on dial up with them for ages.

I fully recommend them to anyone.

I'm also with Virgin.Net broadband-upgraded from their 24/7 package. I pay £14.99 for 3GB download. Also there is no contract you just have to give one month's notice if you want to quit. You also get a free Broadband starter kit. It isn't the cheapest around but l have always found Virgin to be reliable which is very important.

That;s the brilliant thing about it, you can ring ppl whilst someone else is on the internet, and they can phone you too. We were on BT Broadband in our house in Notts, not too sure about connection speeds and all that now though, under £15.00 per month though. On AOL at home, and it's unlimited downloads, ok prices too. And work easily with Bt lines.

tim u daft c*nt!  

broadband is a completely separate line from the phone line....!!!!

haha that's why I asked! I still don't understand!

Right so, if we get broadband here, what gets installed exactly, and how does this thing work i.e. how can you make and receive calls as well?

And the best deal...?

Thanks for this everyone, I know I sound like a silver surfer 8) but I appreciate it.

they both use your current line, broadband works at a higher frequency than dial up, hence you dont hear that god awful noise on the phone line. You'll need a ADSL modem, which some ISPs give for free when subscribing, and also a couple of line filters as rarely, but sometimes a telephone call may cut the broadband off, or you might be able to hear a small whistle when making calls - the filters sort this out

right Ill' do a little drawing for you guv.

using Virgin broadband as an example:

You get a disc of software you need to install comes on provided cd.

the modem plugs into a usb on yer computer other end goes to the modem input of the filter, yer phonline plugs into the other slot on the filter.

The filter plugs into the phoneline socket.

bbconnectionmad1.jpg

nice diagram jas!! hahahaha

well our broadband is a separate line all togetehr, both my one att home at the uni one.

NTL or whoever come and connect a line (through one of the plates in the pavement) and run a line up2 ure house. Then they drill a hole in the wall and put the line through and into a box srewed to the inside of ure wall. The a cable runs from this to a modem they supply free. Depending on whether ure gonna use wireless or not (lets say no) u plug an etherhet or usb into this modem and into your pc, whallaaaa!!

your seperate line must be cable, as opposed to broadband via a telephone line (ADSL).  can't get cable here, so not too familiar with the current deals

Not too sure what you mean :? We have a BT line and no cable, but still get broadband

Im with talk talk, 1mps for £17.99 p/m you can still use the phone whilst online and it is unlimeted, only truble I've had with them was the 1'st month I'd just got my pc and d/l countless episodes of friends, southpark simpsons etc and they emaild me saying I'd d/l 147 gigs and it was against theyre fair usage policy, now I still d/l s***loads but with no bother - prob about 50 gigs a month, quality service :D

there are two varietys of broadband, you can get it over a telephone line(ADSL broadband), or, if you live in a built up area, you might be able to get cable broadband, which doesnt use the phone line - it plugs you into a seperate cable network

So Bravestarr mate, you're on the ADSL option? How fast is that and how much does it cost you? :?

PS Jacey B, that diagram on the previous page was the funniest thing I've seen all day, was actually useful for me but it did make me laugh for a very long time :D

Thanks for you help guys and gals!

The most likely option we'll prob go for is NTL, 1MB broadband where it's £17.99 a month, does that sound reasonable?

Ordering online you get £10 off first bill, and the first 12 months are only £9.99 a month anyway.....

The second thing I'm not sure about is whether we need a dedicated phone line now installed? We only have the one at the moment... :? :?: :?:

like i said tim........:

NTL broadband is a separate line all togetehr, both my one att home at the uni one.  

NTL or whoever come and connect a line (through one of the plates in the pavement) and run a line up2 ure house. Then they drill a hole in the wall and put the line through and into a box srewed to the inside of ure wall. The a cable runs from this to a modem they supply free. Depending on whether ure gonna use wireless or not (lets say no) u plug an etherhet or usb into this modem and into your pc, whallaaaa!!

Archived