Broadband advice, por favor....

Neuro

Sounds good to me. I had a look on the NTL website and checked it out and at 1MB it is twice as fast as Virgin Net. NTL has a twelve month contract. It also says you don't need a BT line which probably means it is Cable broadband - l don't know anything about cable. :?: :? Anyway good luck with it. :):):)

• 4 months later...

Ive dug this post out guys as I have just moved. I was previously with NTL, but they do not operate in my area. Ive called NTL and they wont install because its "offnet".

I have narrowed my research to Virgin or Tiscalli. Tiscalli sounds the best, but I do not like this "fair use" policy, seeming as I will be downloading quite a few mp3s from audiojelly etc.

Virgin has a 6gig limit, I think this will be suffice. What are thoughts chaps - appreciate your help in advance ;)

We were on Tiscali and never had a problem with download limits. Never got near the limit, and 2 of us use this PC. However, they were hard going when we moved house - wouldn't transfer the account and it turned out they'd been overcharging us for 4 months, but wouldn't refund us.

We're now on AOL, and it is slightly quicker. We also get free anti-virus and Spyware protection with them. Not sure how good it is, but it has saved us upgrading our Norton software.

I'm with Virgin.net broadband and haven't had any problems. You can download Spybots "Search and Destroy" the free version which l have been using for a couple of years now and also Grisoft (AVG free version) anti-virus protection.

That's nice to know as you are never reallysure whether these free versions really work or not. My friends computer was running really slow so l installed AVG and Spybot and found she had loads of nasty trogans(not sure of the spelling) and now her computer is running as it should.

I heard about Spybots on The Gadget Show on C5. Supposed to do the business, as well as Microsoft's version through their site.

Have always had Spybot S&D and Microsoft Antispyware on my PC, along with McAfee Antivirus (free from Uni!) - those three do everything you need. :)

Not really worried about all that spyware stuff etc. Got decent programmes here from mates etc, adaware, spybot, and can get antivirus software cheap.

Just worried about this tiscalli fair usage thing as it states peer to peer stuff etc during peak times. Virgin looks good, think 6gig is suffice, but cant decide...

Tim mate, did you get my PM - not sure if it sent?

Just worried about this tiscalli fair usage thing as it states peer to peer stuff etc during peak times. Virgin looks good, think 6gig is suffice, but cant decide...

With Virgin you're not tied in for a year-just have to give 30 days notice if you want to leave.

I didnt realise that you need a phone line and no. As I have been with NTL for years I have not had a phone cos its all cabling.

Tiscalli have a good deal on at £17.99 2mb broadband and also free phone calls for weekends I think. I am still baffled by the "fair use policy".

Anyone download much here, what is your approx limit a month? Virgin is 6gig limit is that suffice you think?

If you go to Bulldog's website, click on "can i get bulldog?" and you'll see you need a BT phone number......

As for bandwidth, we have 30GB between the four of us in the house and it's more than enough! - I reckon 6GB should be fine :)

Archived