What made you like Jules as a DJ?

Briggsy

Well, we're all here for the same reason, and we all mention our best memories of Jules's sets and some of the great tunes he's played, but I don't think i've ever seen anyone mention why they got into Jules, so........ discuss :P

I got into Trance back in around 1999. I'd never really taken much notice of dance music before that. It all started when my mate bought a copy of Trance Nation 1 (Mixed by ferry Corsten). I absolutely loved that CD and invested in a copy myself and never stopped playing it. I'd, literally, play it every day. Then I bought Trance Nation 2 which was released shortly afterwards.

Then, I discovered Jules's Friday night show by accident whilst looking for my local radio station. He'd played a tune that was on Trance Nation 1 so I stayed tuned in - then he played another tune that I liked, and then, it was tune after tune followed by awesome mix after awesome mix, so I listened to the whole show. A week or so later, he was doing a live club set on the radio, and again, I loved it!!

I then also got into Danny Ramplings show, bet never really got into Pete Tongs show. So, each Friday and Saturday, I listened to Jules and Danny Rampling without fail - but whereas i'd only like a few of Danny Ramplings tunes, I loved pretty much all of what Jules was playing.

After that, I went out of my way to buy Jules CD's and listened loyally to Jules's show without missing it. I liked Jules's shows that much that I wouldn't even go out if it clashed with Jules's show (those days stopped around 2002 though when things started to go a bit downhill). Jules then became my favourite DJ :)

I'd never seen a DJ that could create such a good atmosphere. back then, everyone loved him and gave him a reception similar to the one Eddie Halliwell gets now when he walks into the booth.

Those were the days.....

quality read mate...

Would say that from hearing jules on the radi ogot me hookedi na similar way - hearing tune after tune after tune, was quality. Used to listen loyally every week!

Definately radio for me aswell, i started getting into dance music aged 13 (obviously way too young to go clubbing) and i just tried to immerse myself in it anyway i could.

I think that when you actually go out clubbing properly you start to discover the vast difference between radio play & the actual club environment. I started finding new sounds & DJs that i'd never heard before & found my niche within dance music which, has gradually, drifted quite a away apart from Jules' sound.

I still like Jules, but whereas when i first got into clubbing he was a must see i now would rather see a plethora of other DJs ahead of him, simply due to the sound he plays.

I initially loved Jules' sound & radio personality, i still think he's by far the best dance music radio DJ around & there's no disputing the guy's an absolute legend from his commitment to fans, with email replies etc.

I'm not into Jules the DJ so much anymore but still have the utmost respect for him

My Bro was into tranceback in 1997 that was when i first started to listen and get into it a bit. Was always catching bits and bobs of julesy on the radio, i never used to listen to it religously as i was usually out and about, however now days i make more of an effort pluse thanks to technoligy we can listen again!

First saw Jules at the Dome NYE he was amazing really smashed it pluse that was one of the first times i had been to a massive dance event. also saw him in BCM Magaluf 2002 or 2001 cant remember any way wasnt impressed with his set that night at all was really really hard nothing like what i have experianced since, also saw Dangerouse Dave the same week thought he was wicked and still tune into him on a sunday night.

I am actually building a profile around this thread for my website (coming soon...).

There will be a detailed report, so be sure to check it out...

Basically, Trance Nation 4 did it for me, I'd heard a mate play it, loved it, whacked it on everyday (remember the tunes so well and even how they are mixed as I used to even study with it on). After loving that, I wanted to check out the other TN series. I then had a feel for this kinda music as I recall loads of tunes from high school that used to resonate with me.

I then went into a music shop, checked out what tracks were in then Trance section & discovered Jules' Clubbed Vol 1 - legendary. Started checking out his radio show and at that time he had a great slot and a great structure to his show. I was also into Fergie at the time.

I used to tape all of Jules' show and have about 2 years worth on tape in my attic...

Jules got me into Halliwell, and from then I developed tastes for different types of music and mainly stuck around trance, but like to play harder stuff too. Yoji is a fave, Ferry, MarcoV and A & B...

like briggsy - i also have the trance nation 1 cd fro mmany years ago - my mate had it b4 on cassette! Its where i first heard ATB - 9pm till i come - me & my mate recorded that one track over and over so it was looped on another tape and used to sit playing on his N64 with that tape on constantly, lol - those were the days!

The first compilation that i got was Ibiza Annual 1998, mixed by Jules & Boy George, that was what got my started into the music as far as buying goes, I saw an ad for it with 'Cafe Del Mar' playing in the background & basically brought the compilation for that track, before getting into the many other gems on there.

As far as Trance goes it's all about CD2 of 'Clubbers Guide to '99' mixed by Jules, had ATB on there aswell as 'What Ya Got For Me', Travel 'Bulgarian', Yves Duryter 'To The Rhythm', Absolom 'Baby Boomers' and a whole load more.

Trance Nation 1 is still by far the best Trance Nation for me, the tunes on there are timeless

Jules got me into Halliwell..

Thats an interesting comment actually. I also got into Halliwell's set through Jules - and this year in particular, i've probably gone on to like Halliwell more than Jules. I know a few other people that got into Halliwell through Jules too.

I wonder how many Halliwell fans actually switched from being Jules fans?

This is an excellent thread so I'm going to contribute. I first started listening to Jules as way back as the mid 90s in the car whilst delivering certain goods throughout London in my van. He used to have 3 hour shows back then! I loved the House music and the way he'd play anything then that sounded cool... this could be The Prodigy, some early Trance, drum n bass... like a real DJ.

I'd already been hooked onto the Electronic scene from the mid 1980s and would watch TOTP to catch the tunes. Such disco moments!

I've always liked my house but the Trance height of 1998-2001 was Jules' crown, and certainly in those 4 years in my opinion, he did a great deal for dance music in general - even though the inevitable wane of support will follow, he was there at the at right time and he should be recognised for his contributions in that wonderful, wonderful period.

I knighted him long ago. :D

Great comments there mate! Jules was definately unbeatable during 1998-2001. 1999 was his best year in my opinion, and if the DJ Mag poll was as powerful then as it is now, he'd have been voted number 1 DJ.

Jules's sets then were flawless - long silky smooth mixing, good set flow, great tune selection and the skill to work a dancefloor like no other. He was very respected back then.

Jules's taste in music was better then too I reckon - especially his harder sets. I've always insisted that Jules plays best when he does harder sets - and I still think that now.

Yeah good thread this one :)

I had an older sister by two years so i would listen to all her tapes and CDs which is where i got my early influences from....

I listened to groups like Nirvana, Carter USM, Eurythmics (!) and Utah Saints heavily and i think Utah Saints and The Eurythmics got me into that electronic sound....

Ultimately it was what my mates were listening to which governed the music i would openly say i was listening to. so that would be Queen in the early years, Iron Maiden after that and then Gangsta Rap stuff by NWA and Ice T then getting into the Hardcore scene with DJs SY, Carl Cox, Druid, Slipmatt amongst others.

When hardcore went all happy i turned it off and turned on the radio. This must've been around 1995/1996 so there wasnt much on apart from The Essential Selection and Rampling's Lovegroove Dance Party! These were amazing and transformed my musical tastes. At this point i started going out to pubs and clubs too.

As a diehard Radio 1 fan i embraced Jules show in 1997 with open arms and ears. From his first show i was hooked. I've only seen him play a few times though which is strange as he's been in my top 5 even since hearing him back then.

Even though my electronic musical tastes have diversified since then i still can't think of anyone who can create an atmosphere like Jules can. I remember seeing him at the Radio 1 Roadshow party down in Brighton and in between each tune he would walk round his decks and dance around the stage getting everyone jumping!

After Pete Tong he's got to have one of the most recognisable voices on radio for the young generation - hearing his voice puts me in a good, party mood as it must be the weekend!

I was only 12 when Jules started his R1 show so first memory I have of listening to Jules is on a warm summers day sitting in my Mum's car in 1998 and he was playing 'Spacedust - Gym & Tonic' which I loved at the time. I really got into Jules in the summer of 2000 and started to regularly listen to his Friday & Saturday shows. I was very disappointed when they pulled his Friday show but kept tuning in every Saturday and used to always tape it so I could listen back to it during the week. This was in the days before Listen Again which I am using at the moment! :)

Ive always been into dance music in some form and back in the mid-90's I was into commercial dance music as I hadn't really heard any "underground" stuff. But my first exposure to anything trancy was probably when i heard sash - encore une fois! whilst it'll now be seen as cheese, back than that breakdown as well as tunes like faithless - insomnia and salva mea and BBE - 7 days and 1 week were like nothing i had ever heard.

I started listening to Dance Anthems in about 96/97 and around this time was leant a copy of the Ministry of sound annual 2... what a quality CD the pete tong disc is!

So anyway in 1998 I was listnin to radio 1 one saturday and it just so happened to be R1 Ibiza weekend with Jules and Pete Tong doing a joint show. When I heard them play Cafe Del Mar and three drives - greece 2000 amongst others I was hooked. From that point on I listened to Jules every friday without fail and sometimes the saturday shows.

By 2000 I I had just bought decks and used to record jules show every week so I could get the tracklisting during the following week and compile a wants list each week. I think it would have been easier just to note the ones i didn't want as there were usually only a couple!

I guess for me my loyalty to the show dropped as soon as the friday show went. The best period was easily 2000 with the live club sets.

Annoyingly due to my age at the time I could never go clubbing in the what I consider the best period for Jules, 98-2001 and only in the last 3 years have I got to see him but even tho the tunes now are not as good he is still amazing to see for the atmosphere... I still regard him very highly as a DJ.

Er...the music he plays/played thy soundola of simply :lol:

Me uncle bought a couple those Retrospective Of House Comps in 96 and one cd Appened to be mixed By His Judgyness.

I really got into Jules when he stated off on Radio 1 and on we went from there.

I Got into Dance Music when i randomly was given MOS Annual 2 for my birthday the year it came out, Loved it and looked into a little further as each year passed. What got me into Jules was instantanious, Radio1 Live from Slinky on that Friday night, the atmosphere, the banter, the tunes. From there on in i was a fan and the more i heard him Dj the more i admired him as a Dj. Not only that he has a similar dress sence to me.

• 11 months later...

I first encountered Jules friday and saturday shows back in late 1999 and instantly fell in love, with specially the trance, but also the bouncy, underground (for me) techno and house tunes. I regret i never recorded more shows on cassette, but since 2001 it's been one of my favorite hobbies to dig out Jules livesets from the old days, to hear the stuff from the golden era (99-01 imho). I continue to find an old set i've never heard before every once in a while... it's the neverending story :)

I really like Jules as a DJ for his style (specially the 95-03 period), and the way he connects with the crowd.

Jules has visited Denmark twice, but i've only seen him once, back in 2002, which stands very clear in my memory. I'd love to see him on UK ground some day.. in his own backyard :)

Judge Jules, Paul Van Dyk and a good mate of mine was my main influence when i started, and even though Jules now is on CDJ's, PvD is on Ableton and Serato Scratch Live/CDJ's, and my mate is thinking of quitting, these are indeed the people i found inspiration in, to buy decks and loads of records back when i was so new to it all.

ok, enough of me being nostalgic... those were my 5 cents.

i think it was late early-mid 1999 when i first started listening to Jules, althought i was into house from about may 1997. I first noticed Judge Jules by mistake. I had just passed my driving test mid 1999 and just got insured under me mum as an additional driver on her Peugeot 205 diesel. I remember vividly and fondly taking her car out for a spin on a wet and cold friday night when i was bored (i was 17 and unable to get into club, sadly, i looked it too). The car didnt have a cd player so i had finished listening to another important dj (for me inspiration wise) on Vibe FM called Busta Brooker, i was searching the band for something else to listen to when i stumbled across some dance music - not knowing it was jules. I absolutely loved it. I remember hearing Gold'n'Delicious "ascension" for the first time and was blown away. All i knew is this type of music was played on radio 1 from 2200-2300hrs and i knew i was going to listen again the following week. I was just driving around peterborough aimlessly listening to Jules on that wet and wintery night.

Anyway, in my part time job working at Freemans on saturdays 0900-1800hrs (and every night after college 1600-2000hrs) as a sales assistant, i had radio 1 on when Jules came on at 1700hrs. I worked on the electricals dept selling tv's/stereos/vcr that kinda thing, when the other colleagues used to have the stereo's on during the day to listen to some music. I just left them on when Judge Jules came on and the pumping house began. I then cranked it up and put pretty much all the stereos on and onto radio 1- it must have sounded like a night club in Freemans on a saturday evening. I remember hearing Space Brothers "Legacy" [Matt Darey Mix] which was thumping and sounded sweet. It was then, i had to find out who this guy was, a colleague told me who it was and also told me it was Jules who i was listening to the night prior in the car - they hated "dance" music and were indie lads.

It was then (about april-may) that i started to religiously listen to radio 1 on a friday/saturday night, i also started to buy a lot of the tunes Jules was playing, and of course, his mix CD's. It went on from there really, by about september 1999 i had to check Jules out in a club having just turned 18. I got with the college lot and we all headed to Gatecrasher one weekend when Jules was playing. The atmosphere was immense, the soundsystem was too good and the tunes transformed me. Jules played a blinder that night and played my favourite tunes at the time Roadblock "The Rules" and Azzido Da Bass "Dooms Night" [Tmo Maas Remix]. That was it for me, i was hooked.

I've been a heavy listener and follower of Jules since, i still think he knows how to rock a floor and create an atmosphere. I've been to see him countless times also. I've always seen Jules as a house DJ (albeit quite hard) who plays a few trance tunes rather than an out and out trance DJ - which is why i still prefer him to the likes of Eddie Halliwell.

It was his crossover from Kiss FM to Radio1, he played Slinky's 1st Birthday Party on the Essential Mix along with John Digweed.

That was it then, I was totally converted to his sound, and was introduced to the following tunes. While I had been listening to other DJ's (Tall Paul and Tony de Vit who was still alive then to name two, although i'd not heard him play for 9 months or so), Jules had a completely different sound and introduced me to these tunes for the first time.

01. Capricorn - '20Hz' [R&S]

02. Storm - 'Storm' [Data]

03. Bacon Popper - 'Free' [snap & Shake]

04. Serious Danger - 'Deeper' [Xtra Nova]

05. The Shrink - 'Nervous Breakdown' [Neo]

06. Mr Spring - 'Voyager' [Manifesto]

07. Jonesy - 'Independence' [white label]

08. Ayla - 'Ayla' (DJ Taucher Mix) [Additive]

09. BBE - 'Deeper Love' [Positiva]

10. Untidy Dubs - 'Funky Grooves' [untidy]

11. Miss Peppermint - 'Let Me Hear You DJ' [Kingsize]

12. Transa - 'Enervate' [Perfecto]

13. Knuckleheadz - 'Raise Your Hands' [Tripoli Trax]

14. Agnelli & Nelson - 'El Niño' [Xtravaganza]

This was the turning point in my music tastes. Having bought decks in January 1998, I immediately set out to buy as many of these tracks as possible. I think I've got all them except for 1,2 and 13. The first two only because a friend at the time had been and bought them.

Things have never been the same again. Thankfully.

Good thread this, i first started listening to Jules back in 1997, but wasnt properly into him until 1998. I used to go around to my mates house who's older brother used to listen to him and had loads of old house mix tapes, so we got into him through that i suppose.

I then was hooked to his shows, i like many others used to listen and record his Friday night shows religiously. I can never remember a bad show back then, and week after week used to go upto my room and just sit and listen, my Dad used to say you must be b***y mad!!

I then at 16 decided with my mate that we were gonna attempt to get in and see Jules play at Bakers in Birmingham, we managed to get in and what a set he played!!!, I will never forget hearing Handsburn - Goodshot!!! It sounded amazing back then in a club!

Jules really was king back then, his mixing was smooth and full of energy and would drop quality tune after quality tune. I then started going to Bakers most weeks after that and saw Jules regular along with the likes of Tall Paul who was also very good back then, another bonus was that Scott Bond was a resident there and was unknown back then.

I then started going to Sundissential at Pulse in Birmingham and saw many great sets from Jules there as well until it got closed.

So many great memories from both clubs.

I then in around 1999 bought a set of decks and would try and get every record Jules used to play, building up a fairly large collection of vinyl of which near enough every track i own has been played by Jules.

At the beginning of Jan 2001 a good friend of mine went abroad for a year and asked me to record, in rotation, Pete Tong, Judge Jules and Dance Anthems R1 shows and then send them out to him.

l heard "Sandstorm" for the first time on one of these shows which sounded absolutely amazing and from then on l was hooked.

I preferred the tunes Jules played and still do as l like a bit of funky house, house, techno and trance (variety is the spice of life) and also enjoyed listening to his cheerful voice and funny, corny one-liners.

I had just come out of a long term relationship and was feeling very down at the time but listening to Jules's Sat show and the uplifting tunes he played put a big smile on my face and l religiously listened and recorded his show every week and still do. The music opened up a new chapter in my life, it has been wonderful and l've also meet some lovely people too who are all into the same kind of music.

I meet Jules for the first time back in 2002 when he came to play at The Barn Club in Penzance where he played a blinding set and also took time out to talk to some of his fans and sign autographs etc . He hasn't changed and still has time for his fans and is very friendly and approachable and such a decent, down to earth guy too. I have alot of respect for Jules.

I meet Jules for the first time back in 2002 when he came to play at The Barn Club in Penzance where he played a blinding set and also took time out to talk to some of his fans and sign autographs etc . He hasn't changed and still has time for his fans and is very friendly and approachable and such a decent, down to earth guy too. I have alot of respect for Jules.

Really? While I don't think of him as rude, up his own arse, arrogant as most of the anti-Jules brigade seem to think, but a shy bloke, who's confidence only comes out on the radio or when he's got a mic in front of him.

He hardly uttered two words when I spoke to him at Kanya in Ibiza to get my poster signed. And he's been quiet on other occasions when I've tried to speak to him

Of course, he might just have a dislikening to me! :lol:

I don't think Jules is particularly shy - however, I don't think he's loud either - he's a happy medium.

One thing I have noticed with Jules though is that he's mega-aware of his surroundings. Sometimes he doesn't appear to be paying attention, when actually he is - but he's constantly watching who's wandering around and what's going on nearby. When I interviewed him at Global last year, he spotted someone he knew in the distance and acknowlegded them, and then he spotted someone else nearby too. Its no wonder in his online diary he regularly says that he's seen this celebrity in a club or that DJ in the same airport, etc.

Jules is always mega friendly - however, he's usually mega-busy too. If he's got time to stop and chat and have a bit of banter - he will - always! I remember seing him at BCM in Majorca two years ago. He hung around for half an hour after his set to pose for photos and sign autographs (I was one of the lucky ones to get a photo and autograph too). One bouncer was trying to get the crowd away thinking that Jules wanted to go - but Jules actually asked the bounced to leave it for a bit longer because he said he wanted to hang around for a bit longer.

The people that think he's arrogant are usually the people that are hanging around for him, in the UK, on a Friday or Saturday night at the first of his two gigs. I remember a few people at Godskitchen last year saying Jules was arrogant because he left the booth, and walked straight out of the club. What the didn't realise was that he had a three hour drive to The Honeyclub in Brighton straight afterwards. If he'd hung around, he'd have been late for that gig. Whatever he'd have done, people would have criticised him. If he'd hung around, then he'd have been late for The Honeyclub - so that crowd there would have been moaning that he was late and uncommitted for his gigs. If he'd left Godskitchen and arrived at the Honeyclub on time, the Gods bunch would accuse him of arrogance.

I'm amazed that Jules gets to some of his gigs on time to be honest, for example, a few weeks ago, he was in Coventry, and then two hours after he finished there, he was due in Cardiff to play. Now, that is some journey to make in two hours. Godskitchen to The Honeyclub is also some drive to make in three hours. No wonder Pistol Pete has a few points on his license <_<

Archived