Budge The Judge!

Stuart F

There aren't as many calls or texts to Jules' show as you'd think.

But these features are blatantly just to increase R1's text revenue. There's no other value in them.

Can't wait til I meet Kat, his new producer. I'll tell her what I think of audience participation!

Completely going off on a tangent here, but ITV must make a bomb from X-Factor and I'm a Celebrity, etc. And yet we still endure advert breaks, programme sponsorship and text to win a pair of unwashed boxer shorts from a random unknown-to-the-public 2 months ago, and will revert to similar status in 2 year's time.

I'm not too sure about the technical ins and outs of how they can tell figures, but there are ways and means. I think they can tell by signal strength in certain areas, etc. For example, most local radio stations will cut off at certain areas because they pay for a signal to cover up to a certain area. I live in Coventry, and my local radio station's frequency will cut off just before entering the Aston area of Birmingham on the M6. I can then pick up a faint signal from a Wolverhampton station instead, therefore, when I drive out of my Coventry boundary, the signal strength will change because i'm no longer tuning into it.

When a radio station applies to OFCOM for a license, many things are taken into consideration - and signal strength/coverage is one of them. My local radio station wanted to expand its coverage earlier in the year, but were refused because the area they wanted to expand to covered some of Heart FM's coverage area - and they expressed concern because it could have, potentially, affected their advertising income if another station started broadcasting in their region. Thats kind of drifting off topic a bit, but it explains how signal strengths and coverages work in basic. They can be controlled and monitored quite accurately. They can't get it as accurate as down to the nearest person, but its as accurate as the nearest 1000 listeners or something like that, so if a station has 11,500 listeners, the stats will probably show that they had 11,000 listeners.

As for texting, I'm fairly sure Radio 1's text line is free as they've never told anyone that they charge, and I don't ever recall being charged more than my network rate. Radio 1 DO make it clear that their new picture text service costs 35p to text though, so i'm sure they're making money on that facility. I'm sure any company has to clearly advertise any charge over the standard text rate otherwise Trading Standards and/or OFCOM would make mincemeat of them. My local station clearly state that a text costs 25p to them - 10p of which is the national text rate which goes to your mobile service provider, and the other 15p goes to the station. They sometimes run a competition as part of their radio group (ie, across all stations that they own nationally) which costs £1.50p per text. They have to clearly state that its a radio group promotion so that listeners aren't mislead into thinking that they've only got the population of Coventry to compete with, and they have to state its £1.50 per text.

Hmmmm, I think I need to get out more............ :shock:

Completely going off on a tangent here, but ITV must make a bomb from X-Factor and I'm a Celebrity, etc. And yet we still endure advert breaks, programme sponsorship and text.

Very true mate. Thats how ITV can afford to pay Chris Tarrant his megabucks deal to host Who Wants To Be A Milionaire. The only one guaranteed to get £1m on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is Chris himself.

"Wanna phone a friend mate?"

"Yeah sure, can I make a reverse charge call to my mate Chris Tarrant please"? :shock:

win a pair of unwashed boxer shorts from a random unknown-to-the-public 2 months ago

Gutted! I missed that one :(

Archived