Reinstalling Freedom

Marty Mayes

Get Windows Defender on there, and Spybot's Search & Destroy, and along with your antivirus software update the definitions of all 3.... then run all three, separately, so that you know you have a clean PC :)

Without updating every single one of your protective programs every week or so you'll very likely be hit again ;)

Get Windows Defender on there, and Spybot's Search & Destroy, and along with your antivirus software update the definitions of all 3.... then run all three, separately, so that you know you have a clean PC :)

Without updating every single one of your protective programs every week or so you'll very likely be hit again ;)

remember my pc issues tim? hahaha!

buy norton internet security or mcaffee

Ditto! These two are the best around - I wouldn't trust anything else.

I use McAfee at work, and Norton at home and I don't really have any favourite over the other. McAfee costs a bit more, and does the job "quietly", whereas Norton is a tad cheaper, uses a lot of system resources that slows your PC down a bit (although that has improved a lot in the 2007 version), and comes up with a few extra warnings that give you options.

I guess, just because i've used it for 5 years, plus the fact that it comes up with a few option screens now and again when it detects something suspicious (therefore you know that its working properly, whereas McAfee just sits there so you can never be quite sure), i'm slightly more bias towards Norton.

Don't go down PC world though paying £47 just for the box - instead, pay £17 for Norton Internet Security, which is a firewall and norton antivirus package for £17 from www.eclipsecomputers.com - type in Norton OEM and then Bob's your uncle.

Norton Internet Security is the worst one!

Recently uninstalled mine and installed the free versions of AVG and Zone Alarm firewall. The speed my PC has seen since removing NIS is unbelievable!

The problem with free software though is that nobody is being paid to sit there and support it. As soon as a new, serious, virus comes out, Norton usually have a cure within 12 hours. I dare say that AVG can't offer that kind of speedy support - by which time, the virus could already be on your system.

Norton uses a lot of system resources, granted, but that has improved drastically on Norton 2007. Norton 2006 ran like a pig even on speedy systems, but 2007 runs a lot quicker.

If speed is an issue, then i'd recommend McAfee instead.

I can't really comment on AVG because i've not used it - but free software usually has its downfalls somewhere.

The University of Durham (I refuse to call it Durham University, which is what they're trying to do for "image") gave us McAfee Antivirus software free of charge which I still have (and consequently have installed on every computer at home, abroad, friend's uncle's laptops etc.) Brilliant stuff as long as you keep it updated.... they update their virus definitions every day and it runs quietly in the background without eating your PC's resources. I can't fault it and it has saved my arse many times on various websites whilst they are loading.

I uninstalled all Norton-related software (which alone took a couple of hours to do properly) at home as it was highly irritating and slowed down my PC to the speed of a snail.

All points above are valid, however bare in mind NIS is continuously working in the background of everything your comp does - even in idle mode. Not bigging it up because I use it personally, but I have not deterred away from it. As with Briggsy, McAfee is probably an ideal solution and if it works faster then go with that.

However, if you are using wireless and manage to get war-driven, those free packages up there will not sniff them out I doubt. NTL used to bundle in all this anti-virus stuff, which I believe is a load of **** and even when it was provided to me I would not touch it.

Nothing comes for free, and if it does it aint gonna perform like the big daddies :)

I agree with your comments regarding free Anti Virus systems and guess l have just been very lucky.

A friend of mine has recently installed Norton Anti virus (don't know what version she has) on her new computer and l couldn't believe how slow her computer is. Also it keeps crashing.

The problem with free software though is that nobody is being paid to sit there and support it. As soon as a new, serious, virus comes out, Norton usually have a cure within 12 hours. I dare say that AVG can't offer that kind of speedy support - by which time, the virus could already be on your system.

Norton uses a lot of system resources, granted, but that has improved drastically on Norton 2007. Norton 2006 ran like a pig even on speedy systems, but 2007 runs a lot quicker.

If speed is an issue, then i'd recommend McAfee instead.

I can't really comment on AVG because i've not used it - but free software usually has its downfalls somewhere.

The only downside to AVG free version is you do have to update it yourself once the free trial period runs out

Archived