Reinstalling Freedom

Marty Mayes

The only downside to AVG free version is you do have to update it yourself once the free trial period runs out

Do you? I haven't used it in a while but even their free version was updated with all the latest viruses as soon as they came out. I used to just schedule mine for an update every morning and it used to update itself.

Got McAfee running now as it was supplied by my uni, not a great fan of it really although I've not had any viruses recently (touch wood) either that or it's not picking any up!!

It does all come down to how you use the net and stuff (Quadrant springs to mind). My typical browsing stays within official, established organisations and you know its all legit.

Internet Explorer also comes with a phising filter now to help prevent you falling into sites, which have been hit been by scammers (pharming).

My brother used to pick a lot of sh!t up on his machine by going on game cheat sites etc and all other fancy doodle sites with tonnes of scripts behind them.

rite im now confused im gonna get McAfee 2007 but one of my m8s has told me why pay 4 it if he can a crack copy with the full version..... ???/ :huh:

is this true

If its cracked, there's no guarantee that it'll work properly and download the updates properly.

Its really not that expensive. If you type McAfee 2007 OEM into Google, you'll probably pick up an official OEM version for about £15. Bargain!

rite im now confused im gonna get McAfee 2007 but one of my m8s has told me why pay 4 it if he can a crack copy with the full version..... ???/ :huh:

is this true

you never know what little programs the hackers have added to these things either.

when it comes to security, i wouldn't go to any unofficial sites. its up to you whether you want to pay for security anymore. i've read too many people saying the free ones are just as good as the retail ones.

Norton AV = yuck

I sit in the "i dont like Norton/Macafee" camp. They take up too many resources and are over-bloated. Their enterprise products are very lightweight which is annoying as they should do the same with their consumer products.

I use AVG and its updated on a regular basis - regular enough to keep my computer safe. If a virus does infect my machine then AVG wont fix it but i can cope with that as my browsing habits arent dangerous!

AVG also sell paid-for software which is very similar to Norton and Mcafee; which this probably keeps alive the free software.

A better way to surf the internet without something compromising your computer is to only visit sites you know are surf, dont click links in dodgy emails and remove yourself from the local Administrators group!

Good question - wondered the same too :blink:

Side issue here but presently only I (as Admin) can delete double posts - would you members wanting to have the option to delete your posts for a limited period of time after posting, just in case you change your mind or double post?

Side issue here but presently only I (as Admin) can delete double posts - would you members wanting to have the option to delete your posts for a limited period of time after posting, just in case you change your mind or double post?

Can we delete members for a limited time too incase we decide we want to change them? :lol:

After coming on here a few years ago after a heavy night out, the delete feature came in VERY handy the next morning

Haha, very true Steve, I've done that myself!

I'll get on the case with this delete thing - didn't know Mods could delete posts Bjorny (lol) - that just your own or other people's as well? :)

Archived