Recording Tapes to computer

djtonyg

Hi guys,

I've seen a post about this a long time ago but for the life of me cannot find it anywhere!

I'm going through my garage and finding all these old jems of jules show on tape and would so dearly love to record onto my computer - can anyone please point me in the right direction of what leads i need to make this happen.

http://www.judgejulesarchive.co.uk/archive...?showtopic=2680

Try that one. Its about recording mixes, but just source from your tape deck instead. :thumbsup:

I'm going to plug CD-Ex again, cos thats what I use. Free download and have never had a problem with it.

Not sure this what I need. The leads i use to record my mixes straight to the computer that all works, never had a problem there, however when I play a tape and try and record straight to the computer it doesn't get any sound becasue the leads run of the Auxillary. Des that make any sense???? :blink:

Its a shame the internet wernt around back in the day of all these jules shows we all banging on about :) Im sure their podcast trial thing is a success, and, the BBC has said hopefully a fully functional service will be decided upon in the summer. This SHOULD hopefully mean we can download these shows as they will be available for 7 days. Its crazy though as I read from the BBC in their T&C's that they cant even have a rewind button on these 'listen' again features because of copyright reasons :S

Imagine if we can download the shows instead, imagine all the time we would save and, the quality would be quality and we wouldnt loose any qualities :)

Not sure this what I need. The leads i use to record my mixes straight to the computer that all works, never had a problem there, however when I play a tape and try and record straight to the computer it doesn't get any sound becasue the leads run of the Auxillary. Des that make any sense???? :blink:

Go from your tape decks headphone socket via a jack plug instead. Thats the way I have to do it on my stereo. :thumbsup:

Aux is usually for input - ie, an external turntable.

Imagine if we can download the shows instead, imagine all the time we would save and, the quality would be quality and we wouldnt loose any qualities :)

Once you have the shows in your computer how do you transfer onto CD? :confused:

I Imagine your tape deck will have phono outputs, left and right. Your PC soundcard may well be a stereo jack plug unless you have upgraded to a PCI card or external interface in which case check what input connections are available.

The most common lead to do the job would be a stereo jack to twin phono lead (a single jack at one end into 2 phonos at the other for left and right). jack goes in PC line input, Phonos in tape deck output.

Once you have the shows in your computer how do you transfer onto CD? :confused:

Nero is another application Chrissie :)

What is best really, just burn them to disc as mp3, then if you got an mp3 compatible cd player in the house and the car you sorted! You can listen to loads of shows on one cd.

Go from your tape decks headphone socket via a jack plug instead. Thats the way I have to do it on my stereo. :thumbsup:

Aux is usually for input - ie, an external turntable.

I only have aux sockets at the back of my stereo. Thanks Briggsy you may have solved it for me, so will give it a go over the weekend, and if all works will try and upload some old live jules stuff :D

By the way, the headphone socket, although an output, is actually an inferior analog output source compared to your standard red and white sockets which you find at the back of most hi-fi apparatus. Use the red and white whenever you can - buying the leads for them is easy ;)

Archived